How wide is your WAIST?

ciscokidciscokid expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,487
At 65 I'm thinkinking of expanding

In anticipation of getting to Mount Bohemia in February I need to think about getting wider wasted but I may rent to see how it goes first

Comments

I believe my Four Rs are 68 underfoot
    - Sam
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    I'm 70 and got on a pair of K2 AMP Aftershock's- 86 'waist' 182cm's about 3 years ago. Love them! Prior to that I was on a pair of Volant TI Powers- 191cms. Prior to that Kastle 207cm GS skis.
    I like GS skis- only turn them when necessary!
    Don't worry about wider waist- you'll adapt quickly.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    LiftGuy said:

I'm 70 and got on a pair of K2 AMP Aftershock's- 86 'waist' 182cm's about 3 years ago. Love them! Prior to that I was on a pair of Volant TI Powers- 191cms. Prior to that Kastle 207cm GS skis.
    I like GS skis- only turn them when necessary!
    Don't worry about wider waist- you'll adapt quickly.

Yea I don't mean to confuse anyone but being you as I under stand are 70 yrs young?
    I will be 59 yrs young or old in Jan

I am intrigued by the width of these new planks. I have seen several skiers even at retro Caberfae on these new "widebodies " and ski very well on hardback.

I think for $45 I may just rent at Bohemia
    No way I'm giving out my gut measurements,right Ibrake4tbars?

Liftguy you and I are from the same old school, in the '70s had 207 Kastles, then 204 K2 like the Mahres, then 200 Head silky suitors ( according to Ski mag)I used at Jackson Hole, 191 Rossi Bandits, and now 184 Heads.

How short and wide do I go as a behemoth 6'8" 300~lb beast?

Yea I don't mean to confuse anyone but being you as I under stand are 70 yrs young?
    I will be 59 yrs young or old in Jan

I am intrigued by the width of these new planks. I have seen several skiers even at retro Caberfae on these new "widebodies " and ski very well on hardback.

I think for $45 I may just rent at Bohemia
    No way I'm giving out my gut measurements,right Ibrake4tbars?

Liftguy you and I are from the same old school, in the '70s had 207 Kastles, then 204 K2 like the Mahres, then 200 Head silky suitors ( according to Ski mag)I used at Jackson Hole, 191 Rossi Bandits, and now 184 Heads.

How short and wide do I go as a behemoth 6'8" 300~lb beast?

Yep, 70 revolutions around the sun! I'm 6'2" and 235 and the K2's do fine in all conditions. Just can't see them in +6" of fresh powder like you can the new ones with "early rise" tips.
    You should stop by a reputable ski shop and have a chat with one of their senior techs. You are going to find the longest skis you'll find now-a-days will be 186 and maybe a 191. 95-98 under foot and 184-186 should work for a guy your size.
    Renting to get a feel works well. If Caberfae is your home area maybe they have some for you to try before you go to Bohemia.
    Good luck!
    edited October 15 Posts: 133
    Some shops will give you a credit for your demo changes if you buy the skis after trying them.
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Nordica Enforcers, 93 under foot but very quick and very fun . Carves ice like its nothing and floats in the deeper stuff 
    Ski it or die trying
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    Grabbed some 98's last spring, only rode 'em a few times but I like so far.  Was on an 88 prior.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Cisco, my newest "east coast" ski is 80mm under foot.  Before that I had one that was 84.  Out west I use 106mm a lot, but other wider or narrower widths too.  I would recommend a modern ski in the 80-88mm range for you.  The 84mm ski I had was actually more turny than the 80mm, but it was a little shorter.  Kind of depends on design of ski.  For you the length would be an interesting question since you are a really TALL guy.  What is the current length you are skiing on?  I guess anything from 175cm to 190cm might be the right ballpark depending on your aggression factor. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ciscokid said:

I need to think about getting wider wasted

Skiing wasted is not recommended but if you pound a few of Michigan's Bells Two Hearted or Shorts Huma Lupa Liscious you'll be widely wasted. If you're on a budget just look for Hurricane 40s, ought to do it even at your size.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 26 Posts: 1,741

Current 126-82-109 R17.2 176, which I thought were wicked wide when I got them several years ago.

2017 SKI magazine Gear Guide states that skis are getting narrower across the board. They have an All-Mountain Narrow category that range from 86-95 waist in the Men's. They have another Groomed group 66-84 for carving. And then there's the powder planks.

Summary so far: 65, 68, 80, 82, 86, 93, 98 & 106Western. Looks like a grouping of Groomed Carvers & a grouping of All-Mountain Narrows, and one odd ball. Sorry JimK, I only wish I led your life.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    BD Kilowatts.  185cm x 95mm.  Love them.  But not quick in tight trees,  or maybe that  is me.  I tried some MSP at 102 that were much quicker and more fun, but could not find a pair in 188 before they changed the line.  So i think it depends more on  the  ski  than the number.  

i still miss my axis-x.  god those were great skis, felt like tanks even at only about 79mm underfoot.  

ciscokid said:

I need to think about getting wider wasted

Skiing wasted is not recommended but if you pound a few of Michigan's Bells Two Hearted or Shorts Huma Lupa Liscious you'll be widely wasted. If you're on a budget just look for Hurricane 40s, ought to do it even at your size.

Made it in Egypt how did I know Rick that your response would have nothing to do with ski with today baby steps
    ski_it said:

Current 126-82-109 R17.2 176, which I thought were wicked wide when I got them several years ago.

2017 SKI magazine Gear Guide states that skis are getting narrower across the board. They have an All-Mountain Narrow category that range from 86-95 waist in the Men's. They have another Groomed group 66-84 for carving. And then there's the powder planks.

Summary so far: 65, 68, 80, 82, 86, 93, 98 & 106Western. Looks like a grouping of Groomed Carvers & a grouping of All-Mountain Narrows, and one odd ball. Sorry JimK, I only wish I led your life.

Thanks for the summary Joshua..oops I mean ski_it!⛷⛷⛷
    These skinnys are greatimage
    IMG_2831.JPG
    320 x 240 - 88K
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    66 for our typical Northeast days for a death grip on hard snow.

106 for the 2 or 3 powder days (haha) and Spring corn because they help me float in as little as 4"!

Interested in trying a ski between 82 - 90mm for Spring corn 
    "I need a powder day"
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Cripes, I feel so behind the times! I have two pairs of Heads-- both work skis and a pair of K2's I inherited from my brother. Both of mine ski well, though the one pair, the 1200i's are a bit stiff for patrolling as their pedigree is for racing. The Flowriders are awesome though. 

As for previous skis-- alway interested in what people have skied before-- I include in my history-- a pair cut of wooden skis with cable bindings, Hart Gremlins (150 cm) Rossi ST- Comps (165 cm) Dynastar Dynasofts (195 cm) and a progression of 205 cms-- Pre-1200SP, Hart, Pre somethngorother, and Atomics, plus a foray into 215 cm downhill skis. 

Boots include Scott Superhotts, Lange ZR's Salomon SX92Racing, Asolo teleboots, Garmont telemark boots and finally Technica's. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump