Your favorite western area or State to visit

gimme789gimme789 intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 37
Haven't been out west in a while, thinking its time. Probably for a week. Been to Utah, Cal/Nev and CO.  Loved them all, but especially Utah.     My question is : what are your favorite area(s) to visit and why ?    Thinking Whistler, Revelstoke, Jackson, Big Sky or maybe even Sun Valley.  Anyone have comments on those listed?   Have not ruled out a return to Utah either.  Would not rule our smaller/lesser known areas either.  Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited October 19 Posts: 362
    New Mexico, Idaho, Mammoth, Montana, Arizona Snow Bowl, Apache in NM, LA areas but most of all you got to do a trip to Zillertal Austria!
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited October 19 Posts: 222
    I've been to about 90 ski areas, but only two (Whistler and Jackson) on your list of five.  Having said that, I really like Aspen.  Have you been there?  Three great mtns in close proximity.  Small to moderate crowds. Cool town.  Excellent advanced terrain, pretty scenery.  It's pricey, but that can be mitigated if you are sharing costs or commute from Glenwood Springs.  Cheap flights to Denver, drive is longer than Summit County, but to me 4 hrs vs. 2 hrs is not much of a difference for a much more attractive environment.

I could comment more if you provided input on some of the following questions that hit your hot buttons.

1. What are your highest priorities, preferably by order of importance? Diverse terrain, great snow, lively après-ski scene, spectacular scenery, low budget, low crowds and easy travel access are a few examples.

2. What's your budget; high, medium or low?

3. Do you have a general or specific destination in mind and what kind of terrain do you prefer; steeps, groomers, beginner, trees, bowls, etc?

4. What is the approximate time frame of your trip and number of days? Short trips, long trips, holidays, weekdays, early/late season, or mid-winter have various pros and cons.

5. Do you want slopeside accommodations or are you ok with a short commute to get more for your lodging dollar?

6. Is proximity to a major airport a high priority or is a more remote/exotic destination OK or preferred?

7. Do you have a preferred gateway city such as Denver, SLC, Reno, etc. because of airline loyalty, a friend offering free lodging, or other reasons? 

8. Do you like lively/crowded/big mountains or would you consider a smaller, less crowded and perhaps more family friendly mountain? 

9. Do you have any special requirements? Some examples would include a resort with a big WOW factor for an anniversary or special occasion, a low altitude resort to aid an elderly companion, a resort with attractions for a non-skier, etc.

• gimme789gimme789 intermediate
    JimK said:

I could comment more if you provided input on some of the following questions that hit your hot buttons.

1. What are your highest priorities, preferably by order of importance? Diverse terrain, great snow, lively après-ski scene, spectacular scenery, low budget, low crowds and easy travel access are a few examples.

Diverse terrain, great snow, spectacular scenery,  low budget nice but not deciding factor

2. What's your budget; high, medium or low?     Medium

3. Do you have a general or specific destination in mind and what kind of terrain do you prefer; steeps, groomers, beginner, trees, bowls, etc?      Getting older now, so not too steep,  no bumps for me, but others in group will want them.  Would love easier glades with nice snow

4. What is the approximate time frame of your trip and number of days?     about 1 week

5. Do you want slopeside accommodations or are you ok with a short commute to get more for your lodging dollar?    Short commute is OK

6. Is proximity to a major airport a high priority or is a more remote/exotic destination OK or preferred?    Not Necessary, can drive a bit

7. Do you have a preferred gateway city such as Denver, SLC, Reno, etc. because of airline loyalty, a friend offering free lodging, or other reasons?    No

8. Do you like lively/crowded/big mountains or would you consider a smaller, less crowded and perhaps more family friendly mountain?       Less crowded and friendly - not necessarily smaller

9. Do you have any special requirements?   Not really,  but need both milder terrain for me, and tougher stuff for the younger

Thanks !!!!!

oh,  no,  have not been to Aspen - I always thought it was for the rich & famous - but mayber thats changed a bit.... I'm sur eits an awesome mountain & area in general
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Another vote for Aspen.  Complete resort with the best ski town I've ever been to.  More then enough to keep one occupied for a week +.   

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Rich and famous? At $150 a day plus lodging YOU better be rich.( or at least have a $7-800 season pass)

Skied 7 yrs in. Row from 94-01 in Col, Utah , Jackson twice.if you need an ego check go to Jackson

Just bring a lot of moolah
    When tickets hit $50 at Aspen in 95 I thought I was rich
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

My vote goes to Cal/Neva Lake Tahoe. You can't beat the weather of the variety of so many ski resorts within an hours drive. You have the mega resorts, and the medium sized locals resorts, all of which can keep you entertained.

Lodging variety runs from super cheap to expensive.

I love the accessibility of the non-stop from JFK to Reno.  

• jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    How about Interior British Columbia.  Exchange rate is still great and crowd are much smaller than the popular US places.  Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks if you're looking for a bigger places.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    JimK I count FIVE great ski areas if you base out of Glenwood Springs!  
    ;)
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I really enjoyed Sun Valley.  It's just a few hours drive from SLC, and, depending on your timing, you can hit one of the SLC areas before you fly out.
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    skipro77 said:

I really enjoyed Sun Valley.  It's just a few hours drive from SLC, and, depending on your timing, you can hit one of the SLC areas before you fly out.

Mmmm. SLC to Sun Valley is more like 4 1/2 hours driving. Better to fly into Boise (2 1/2 hrs) and maybe ski Bogus Basin going to or from or Twin Falls (1 1/2 hrs).
    JMHO
    Those interior BC areas look awesome .. I had never even heard of them ..........
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Well, VT is west of me!
    gimme789 said:

Those interior BC areas look awesome .. I had never even heard of them ..........

Went to interior BC 4 years in a row, love it out there.  Went to Northern BC 2 years ago, that was fun too, but much smaller places.  Stayed East and did Quebec last year.  If you like to avoid crowds it's often a good idea to go to places most people have never heard of.  And as I mentioned the exchange rate is still great right now.  I think my favorite off the beaten path US place might be Discovery in MT.  Bogus that was mention above is also quite nice and super quiet (at least midweek), Brundage/Tamarack "up the road" are quite nice too.  Can get an airbnb in McCall nice and cheap.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited October 20 Posts: 222
    gimme789, looking at your responses to questions it seems that your initial list of five places of interest are a good start.  Whistler hits just about all your criteria.  My only negative about the week I spent there was quite a bit of poor visibility days/moments.  Aspen-Snowmass is still a very good suggestion.  Jackson would hit most of criteria, but it does not have as much intermediate terrain for a week long stay.  Never been to Big Sky, but it might be a fine choice based on your interests and my book knowledge of the place.  Park City would also work.  In your previous trips to Utah did you ski there or over by Alta/Bird?  Never been to interior BC, but thinking of going to Banff this winter. Will report back:-)
    You don't say what month of the winter you are considering.  That can make a difference with crowds or weather. 
    edited October 20 Posts: 1,487
    Mountain snow bowl Missoula
    And Lookout , Silver and Sweitzer
    IMG_2738.JPG
    320 x 240 - 42K
    IMG_2739.JPG
    320 x 240 - 44K
    JimK said:

In your previous trips to Utah did you ski there or over by Alta/Bird? 

You don't say what month of the winter you are considering.  That can make a difference with crowds or weather. 

Yes, I skied both Alta & Snowbird - both excellent, haven't ruled out a return to Utah.  Perhaps looking to try new areas.  Not sure what month - probably Feb or March.  

I will look into those Cisco.
    ciscokid said:

Mountain snow bowl Missoula
    And Lookout , Silver and Sweitzer

That area of the country is probably my #1 place to get back to for skiing.  Will wait til more of the expansions are competed though.  Since I've been there 49 North already expanded, Snow Bowl's should open this year, Lookout Pass and Spokane hopefully next year.  Love Schwietzer and Silver too!!!  Schwietzer would no doubt be the closest to a "destintaion" resort of that bunch.  Stayed slopeside at Snow Bowl, we were the only ones there, it was kinda interesting.  Never even saw anybody to check in or out.  They just left a key hanging on a wall somewhere along with an envelope with the lift tix.

Anyway, there are tons of great places out there to be explored.  But if you want an uncrowded destination Schweitzer could be a good pick.  If your looking for more of a scene (which I know some people do), the lesser known places might not be ideal.  
    Another place I would like to get to is Whitefish/ BIG MOUNTAIN. The rates to fly into Glacier airport are fair and they have a very reasonable slope side lodging and tons of terrain with probably plenty of acreage per person.

Lake Louise / Banff are awesome and Big Sky as well
    imageimageimage
    IMG_2780.JPG
    320 x 240 - 40K
    IMG_2781.JPG
    320 x 240 - 41K
    IMG_2783.JPG
    320 x 240 - 37K
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    A Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee combo is always a great choice.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    LiftGuy said:

skipro77 said:

Mmmm. SLC to Sun Valley is more like 4 1/2 hours driving. Better to fly into Boise (2 1/2 hrs) and maybe ski Bogus Basin going to or from or Twin Falls (1 1/2 hrs).
    JMHO
    You can also fly SLC into Hailey - 10 miles south of Sun Valley. Sun Valley is awesome. No crowds, great skiing, great weather, great real town - Ketchum. It is truly a wonderful place.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    gimme789 said:

JimK said:

Yes, I skied both Alta & Snowbird - both excellent, haven't ruled out a return to Utah.  Perhaps looking to try new areas.  Not sure what month - probably Feb or March.  

New?  Seattle.  Crystal is huge and really good terrain, but Stephens Pass is also great, and areas with good reps in between, and then for a little distance you have the famous Mt Baker to the north. The city is a good visit for edge days. Generally easy travel to get there and go between areas. Portland would probably be similar but I have not been there.