Starting to get nervous

2»

Comments

• RemskiRemski advanced
    Not making snow on upper Rime.
  • slathamslatham advanced

I don't see anything more than a dusting to 2". It will help the morale but not the efforts to open.......

• ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    Remski said:

Cannon, Stowe, Killington, Mt. Washington
    And I think I see some snowmaking on upper Rime starting this morning but I’m not 100% sure.

All natural...
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    The Superstar Cam seemed to show one or more snowguns going at the top of the headwall.  What I saw was either very fast moving clouds or the plume from one or more guns.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    I doubt with Sunday's forecast that any snow will be made until after that front passes. Too much likely liquid coming with warm air to justify this really small window now.  

After Sunday though,  I'm guessing that you'll see multiple players start their push for opening snowmaking efforts....

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert

Any word on who got snow and how much last night (Oct. 26)?

Stowe got 3" above 3,000'.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I can see from Burlington that the top of Mansfield is in fact WHITE!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Snow on trails at Sugarbush. Sunday/Monday rain/wind event is scary...

Not liking the fact that models back off on cold as it nears (ie long range forecasts look colder than what shows up).

Cold struggling to move East with any strength/persistence.

I also do not like that the GFS is the colder model, rather than the Euro. Feels weird to be rooting for the GFS over the Euro!

Still early.....

Summit forecast for Stowe is decent snowfall Monday: Link
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    I can see from Burlington that the top of Mansfield is in fact WHITE!
    Ski The East team was there today.....

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Had some natural snow in the Smokies Saturday night.  Two + inches on Mt. Leconte.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Compare that to the 6-10 day. Which is 70-80% chance above average. The pattern is shifting.
    obienick said:

Compare that to the 6-10 day. Which is 70-80% chance above average. The pattern is shifting.

They both suck, at least for the prospect of November snowmaking.
    obienick said:

They're going hard on North Ridge. WIsh I was there to hear and see in person.
    edited October 31 Posts: 753
    obienick said:

obienick said:

5 guns going on Superstar at 5 pm....need to get temps to fall off the table...
    edited October 31 Posts: 938
    5 cold nights is all that's needed.  Last year the bulk of the snowmaking was done over about a week.
    obienick said:

5 cold nights is all that's needed.  Last year the bulk of the snowmaking was done over about a week.

That's what I have heard for snow, then a day or two to work it. Has to be done a week before the races when FIS arrives to inspect.

Races are 25-26. Snow check 18-19, so need to be making cold smoke round the clock, t2b, by Veterans' Day is my guess.

Fingers crossed. If anyone can do it, Killington can, but need temps...
    edited November 1 Posts: 938
    No it doesn't have to be done for the Snow Control. Snowmaking wasn't done for Snow Control last year. To pass Snow Control you simply need to have sufficient snow that will make it to the race or have a big enough window to complete making snow. Snow Control is based on weather forecasts, snowmaking infrastructure, and existing snowpack.  

Snow Control dates have been pushed back as well so the 9-day Snow Control is set for is firm but not final. Snow Control dates were pushed back for both races at Lake Louise last year.

After failing last year, Lake Louise's and Beaver Creek's snow control dates were pushed up.  Ladies' Lake Louise date is the same as for Killington despite being a week later.  Beaver Creek is the next day despite being a week later.

Also IDK where you got those dates.  Snow Control is set for the 16th as of now. See here:  http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/AlpineSkiing/07/27/76/wcsnowco18_Ladies_Neutral.pdf
    obienick said:

No it doesn't have to be done for the Snow Control. Snowmaking wasn't done for Snow Control last year. To pass Snow Control you simply need to have sufficient snow that will make it to the race or have a big enough window to complete making snow. Snow Control is based on weather forecasts, snowmaking infrastructure, and existing snowpack.  

Snow Control dates have been pushed back as well so the 9-day Snow Control is set for is firm but not final. Snow Control dates were pushed back for both races at Lake Louise last year.

After failing last year, Lake Louise's and Beaver Creek's snow control dates were pushed up.  Ladies' Lake Louise date is the same as for Killington despite being a week later.  Beaver Creek is the next day despite being a week later.

Also IDK where you got those dates.  Snow Control is set for the 16th as of now. See here:  http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/AlpineSkiing/07/27/76/wcsnowco18_Ladies_Neutral.pdf
    All good news. Hope temps allow for it all.
    obienick said:

Thanks for the details and the link. Lets hope next week turns out as cold as the models currently indicate......