How do you keep the fires stoked?

JimKJimK advanced
edited October 27 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 222

Lots of veteran and not-so-veteran snow riders on SJ.  As we approach another ski season I'm
excited, but also have a little trepidation. 
Do I need to update any gear?  How's
my health?  Do I need to get in better
shape?  What sort of travel plans am I
going to make?  Will all the logistics,
transportation, weather, and finance variables come together? 
What about keeping a balance between skiing and the rest of my
life? 

What factors motivate you to power through all these issues
and keep your fires stoked?  

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited October 27 Posts: 1,120
    JimK said:

What about keeping a balance between skiing and the rest of my life? 

^^ This... I don't understand what this is :-/

Seriously though, the process of going to a couple of ski swaps, arranging a group ski trip early Dec. and the annual NJ Ski Jamboree is usually enough to get me going  
    :)]
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Lots of veteran and not-so-veteran snow riders on SJ.  As we approach another ski season I'm
    excited, but also have a little trepidation. 
    Do I need to update any gear?  How's
    my health?  Do I need to get in better
    shape?  What sort of travel plans am I
    going to make?  Will all the logistics,
    transportation, weather, and finance variables come together? 
    What about keeping a balance between skiing and the rest of my
    life? 

What factors motivate you to power through all these issues
    and keep your fires stoked?  

1. I clear glades over the summer and visualize skiing them next winter
    2. I keep posting on SJ
    3. I talk skiing when I am with friends who are skiers.

As far as getting into shape: 
    Nothing I've encountered prepares me fully for the muscle groups I use when I ski.  While I maintain good cardio, I just accept that I will hurt for a day or two and ski myself into shape over the first month of the season.

Despite that, every year, when I get off the chair for the first run, I worry, "Will this be the year that the magic is gone?"  Happily, the answer has never been, "yes."

And like Rick Bolger, I don't understand the concept, "What about keeping a balance between skiing and the rest of my life?".
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I just set aside assets for the ski season, like a season pass in spring so I can’t help but look forward to this time of year and get back out there. It’s why I mt. bike from March till the snow fly’s and the trails are closed to me.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Seeing the excitement of my grandsons and next year my granddaughter will bring pink to the white keep me going. I'm definitely not in great shape but my legs have to haul this 300+ lb carcass around so they are in fair shape. Like Joshua says the first couple times out ALL the muscles scream. Hanging here in the flatlands doesn't burn my thighs and calves the way the west used to.

Hanging here with you guys and discussing lift brands and getting twenty something year olds to fly out here from Vt/NH and tbar nuts provides great anticipation. The historic ski knowledge I've gained here excites me.

As far as $, it comes and goes but time just goes.Each day is a gift.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Good input.  I see familiar motivations:  passing on the legacy to children/grandchildren, making preseason commitments financially on gear, passes, air fares, and commitment to fitness.  Going to swaps and shows, sharing real and online conversations and stoke with ski friends.  
    For me, after 50 seasons of fun I have a burned in memory that I know on the first day of ski season when I point my skis downhill for the first time the fun fun fun will begin;))
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Run, bike, ski on the water when its warm.  The thought of trying to be in the best shape possible and the fear of those huge rock piles called the Rocky Mountains kicking my ass is motivation enough.  Finishing up a month of self imposed alcohol abstinence and increased workouts hasn't hurt either.  The boy is already skiing out in Colorado (going today too, Loveland Pass).  I'm looking (hoping for) an early December start date so I will keep up the dry land routine till then.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    4aprice said:

Finishing up a month of self imposed alcohol abstinence and increased workouts 

This thread continues to befuddle and confuse me
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
          Mt. Wachusett added some fuel Monday with the W.O.T.S. (Wachusett Old Time Skiers) luncheon at the mountain. We had a very nice chicken dinner with salad, potatoes, carrots and apple crisp with ice cream for dessert, all for $15.
          There was a tribute to Mason Flagg, 95, who died earlier this year and who skied Wachusett much of his life, before and after the lifts were installed. Mason, a 10th Mountain Division soldier, fought against the Japanese and the Germans in WWII and was awarded a Bronze Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters and a Purple Heart. He used to ride his bike from Worcester to the Wachusett and back - about 44 miles round trip - throughout the summer until he was nearly 90. He was and is a legend in these parts.
          Bruce MacDonald, Jeff Crowley and his sister Carolyn welcomed everyone and there was a nice raffle.Jeff said there have been more than 500 new lights installed for better night skiing and improvements in the base lodge.  There were 200 or more (my estimate) mature skiers exhibiting lots of enthusiasm, including several of us in our late 80s. I hope we all make it through the season in one piece, or if we break something, we don't do it until the season is nearly over.

• JimKJimK advanced
    Good going Bill!  As a true veteran and sage of our sport I'd love to hear what you think the future holds.  Are you bullish on skiing or are we in for something else? If you were to make a few predictions on future trends what would they be? Are you worried about climate change?  Do you think there is a key to keeping young folks engaged?
  • Stan51Stan51 novice
    For the upcoming year, I finished up taking the OEC course and joined the volunteer ski patrol at my local hill.  Been doing lots of walking and getting in some gym time.  We should see some snow here in the valley this week.  There has been snow on the high peaks since mid-September,which is an incentive to get in shape...
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    For me it’s my 23 year old daughter who still wants to Ski and hang out with me. Nothing better than that for me.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    This is a great question, and one I've been thinking about a lot lately.  I've decided that my approach is a little different this year compared to previous years.  This time around I'm actually making less plans and less goals for skiing and snowboarding.  I usually set a goal for numbers of days (usually target 40-50).  I usually book a bunch of trips or at least weekends in advance.  I frequently plan a trip out west.  At the end of the season I usually end up with a lot of ski days, take a bunch of trips, and have a great time.  But I also end up regretting the number of days I missed out on XC-skiing, BC skiing, winter hiking, and other non-skiing activities.  The week-after-week routine of resort skiing has also started to feel somewhat repetitive, stale, and uninspiring.  I did buy a Cannon pass this year (as always) but I haven't pre-bought anything else. I have no trips planned.  I have no goals.  If we end up having a great snow year, I'm sure I'll get just as many days as ever.  But otherwise I'm looking forward to a much more diversified, flexible, and fun season.  And I actually believe that will also generate some more motivation for following seasons.