Old School Ski Style...

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    It is too short. There are a lot of other small areas out there but I bet this was limited by column inches. 

Hard to believe but after employee orientation a couple of weeks ago with all of the news of mergers and combinations and whatnot-- I kinda felt like Sugarbush was one of the remaining independent resorts that are out there still. Stowe's bought-- Jay I think is, I dunno who owns Killington and Okemo has that weird situation going that I fully don't get the advantages of. 

Still, the article would be a great bucket list journey!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I enjoyed that article. Paradoxically, I skied Sunday River many times in 1969-1973 when it fit beautifully into this category, with at first just three T-bars, then a double chair. Also paradoxically, I skied Big Squaw when it was big, with the 6,000-foot summit chair. But I can totally see how well it works now with just the lower slopes. I always enjoyed a few runs there on every visit - riding the 3,000-toot T-bar!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    They short shrifted many a ski "resort" across the USA...and Canada.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    I'm sorry but Alta and Brighton are not old school anymore, (either is Pow Mow for that matter).  All have high speed lifts and modern facilities.  Sunlight, Cooper ok.  I'm not one who pines for the past as I think things are much better today then they were back in the 60's and 70's, but old school is fixed doubles and surface lifts.  A lot of the good ones are on the Freedom Pass which I find very interesting and may purchase one of these years.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ  
    Whaleback should be on the list for sure
    - Sam
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Tenny, which looks on track for an opening this winter, definitely has a early 70's feel about it. The lodge is on a small to moderate scale. The kitchen, main room, bar & deck are intimate sized. The double & triple lifts have a 'period' look, but are in good shape. The tubing park is about the most modern thing visible. Sounds like the prices might be authentic as well. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Well it's not an exhaustive list, it's a newspaper article?  Fun to read the author's take on things.
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    Black Mountain, NH should definitely be on that list. Great old school vibe.
  • newmannewman advanced
    I would say the only old school about Butternut is the lattice towers. Even the narrow New England trails like Whip seem modern with the grooming they do.
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    NELSBEER said:

Tenny, which looks on track for an opening this winter, definitely has a early 70's feel about it. The lodge is on a small to moderate scale. The kitchen, main room, bar & deck are intimate sized. The double & triple lifts have a 'period' look, but are in good shape. The tubing park is about the most modern thing visible. Sounds like the prices might be authentic as well. 

Tenney, Magic, Bolton, Plattekill in NY.  Suicide 6, Whaleback, Skiways, those are "Old School" and hopefully stay that way.  There's a place for them, along with "Community" or "feeder" hills.  Hopefully there's enough of a market to keep them going.  I love the big mega modern resorts too,  but like I said the Freedom Pass has certainly caught my eye and I would not rule out buying one in future years and enjoying those places too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Tough to name them all. I am just glad my little "Old School" isn't listed....
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....