Mt. Baker new Skytrac

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 477
The mountain manager has a nice introduction to the new lift and power system: https://liftblog.com/
This is the second recent reference I've seen to counterclockwise spin for better wind protection. Why is that better?

Mt. Baker Swaps a Riblet for a Skytrac

IMG_4578Mt. Baker Ski Area’s new Chair 7 is the first on the mountain with an electric prime mover.

Replacing a fixed-grip quad with another fixed-grip quad might not seem like much of a change, but Mt. Baker took a significant step forward this summer building an all-new Chair 7 with loads of upgrades.  The only lift out of the White Salmon base area is now a Skytrac, the first for this Pacific Northwest favorite with seven fixed-grip quads.

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I didn't know how much text would fit on 2.0. Here's the video summary:

As General Manager Duncan Howat outlines in the above video, the new lift has whole bunch of advantages, including:

• A large new generator provides power to the entire White Salmon base area, including Chair 7.
    • The lift can move at a variable speed up to 450 fpm.
    • Chairs are wider and more comfortable than the old ones with the first restraining bars at Mt. Baker.
    • The system spins counterclockwise instead of clockwise for better operation during high winds.
  • obienickobienick expert
    So all their other lifts are diesel? Wow.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    TomWhite said:

The mountain manager has a nice introduction to the new lift and power system: https://liftblog.com/
    This is the second recent reference I've seen to counterclockwise spin for better wind protection. Why is that better?

That's to counteract the Coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere. Actually I have no idea and want to hear the answer too. Perhaps it has to do with the direction of prevailing winds there?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I thought of prevailing wind also. But I don't think either made such a reference. Mt. Baker definitely didn't. I think  the other was Saddleback.
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    edited November 1 Posts: 133
    I don't think it is the counter clockwise rotation that is better in the wind. It's just the opposite of what they used to have. And the reason he said "we think" is because there are other variables involved. One school of thought thinks you want the loaded carrier on the windward side, since it will be heavier and more resistant to swing. But if the wind is strong enough, when the 4 people stand up they hold the chair back which in turn causes more swing when it goes around the bullwheel. Also an unbalanced carrier (Think 1 snowboarder sitting off center) will again cause more swing. The other school of thought thinks you want the loaded carrier on the lee side of the line so any carrier swing will be away from the line and towers. But then you have empty carriers on the downhill side that are exposed to direct winds which will swing them towards the line and towers.
    Without knowing their prevailing wind direction it will be interesting to see how the change of rotation turns out.