Lost ski areas still mowed or cleared

mapnutmapnut expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 822
Brodie. Some of the lower slopes at Prospect, VT, an active cross-country operation. And two big wide slopes below the road past the base of the Highmount slopes at Belleayre, probably by private property owners. Any others? Anybody know who maintains such slopes and why?

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 3 Posts: 1,741

Lisbon Ski Tow, NH - IDKW

The Balsams, NH - YKW

Eastman/Snow's Hill, NH - I'm thinking the town rec or neighbors do.

Potato Patch, NH - KUA does.

Hogback, VT - Hogback Mountain Conservation Association is clearing some trails for rec.  

Sweatt Hill, MA - one trail sorta - IDW

Sunrise, MA - Town of N. Attleboro Rec Dept.

Probably many that were located on school grounds.

I could go on & on with the help of NELSAP but I've gotta go back to work.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    The area below Highmount is listed as Shayne's at Skikabbalah.com. (Lost New York)
  • newmannewman advanced
    The area below the road was Highmounts learning slopes that had a surface lift and snowmaking. You had to walk across the street. That was 88 or so.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Windblown XC has the old 10th Mountain training trail that's called "Open Slope"
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    The Gilford Outing Club Hill is nicely maintained.
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    I don't believe there is any mowing or clearing going on at Sweatt Hill.  I live in town and bike through the area on a regular basis and hike the hill and old ski trails a few times a year.  The main slope is still pretty open but I believe that is due to regular activity on the hill from the schools located at the base of the hill than any mowing or clearing. 
  • ski_itski_it expert
    khowley said:

I don't believe there is any mowing or clearing going on at Sweatt Hill.  I live in town and bike through the area on a regular basis and hike the hill and old ski trails a few times a year.  The main slope is still pretty open but I believe that is due to regular activity on the hill from the schools located at the base of the hill than any mowing or clearing. 

Have you gone up skiers left in the last year?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Prospect Mt, VT- much as part of nordic center

• gimme789gimme789 intermediate
    Innsbruck USA (Binghamton NY) has a number of trails cleared for earning your turns.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Dutch Hill
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • mapnutmapnut expert