Hall Chairlift in Globe Article

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,012
In today's Sunday Globe there is a section about various ski areas and ski gear in preparation for the ski show next weekend. First of all, I do not agree with many of the ski areas they list as best for various categories (Most Likely to Succeed: Magic???; Most Fun: Okemo???; Best Views: Gunstock???). But they also have a photo of two kids riding a Hall double with a caption stating that it's at Nashoba. Nashoba does not even have any Hall or Von Roll lifts. Does anyone know where this lift actually is?

- Sam
image.jpeg
800 x 700 - 187K

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    Smuggs?
  • obienickobienick expert
    Skis are fairly curved; so within the last 15 years.

Definitely not Nashoba.

Looks like Ratnik guns.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    If Smuggs, would have to be Morse or maybe M2. Def. not the top of Madonna or Sterling.
    not MII. Up line is on right on MII...

Same for Village in Morse...

Same for Village in Morse...
    and for Mogul Mouse, so no to Smuggs...
  • edited November 6 Posts: 2,012
    Smugglers Notch and Bolton Valley were my first two thoughts, but the lift isn't quite right for either.

It's hard to see from the photo I took of it, but the chair is number 48 and the tower is number 3.
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I think it's a stock photo and maybe older. It looks like there's minimal tower padding and nothing on the concrete-- something a risk manager would have a heart attack over given the thin conditions. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I just read the Globe article on line. This picture is not in the article. It's replaced with a picture of a triple. This looks like Sterling at Smuggs to me, but I'm certainly no lift expert. It lines up nicely with tower 3.
    Chuckstah said:

I just read the Globe article on line. This picture is not in the article. It's replaced with a picture of a triple. This looks like Sterling at Smuggs to me, but I'm certainly no lift expert. It lines up nicely with tower 3.

It looks like you could be right. It would have to be an older photo though, because now there are snowmaking hydrants in front of tower 3.

http://newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=248
    - Sam

Chuckstah said:

It looks like you could be right. It would have to be an older photo though, because now there are snowmaking hydrants in front of tower 3.

http://newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=248
    I stand corrected. The snow guns threw me, as I thought it was a shot from near the top of the line, which tossed Sterling out. Does look like lower down on that line.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    This doesn't look like Smuggs' to me. Geography is off, even if an old photo.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    Definitely not Smugg's no footrest on the safety bars (look at the downhill chairs).

If this is early season, as I'm seeing bare spots, the trail under the lift may not be open yet, so tower pads wouldn't be needed.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    Could be the Snowflake chair at Bolton....  (guns blazing in the park?) It has no footrests too
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Sunapee?
    Remski said:

Sunapee?

Sunapee doesn't have any Halls or Von Rolls currently and hasn't in the past either.
    - Sam

Could be the Snowflake chair at Bolton....  (guns blazing in the park?) It has no footrests too

That's it! Everything lines up, from the light pole in the background to the signs on the tower.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=309
    - Sam
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Good job, All.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Northern Vermont, Northern Massachusetts...they were close
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA