Killington - 2017-2018

Comments

• The webcam on May 21 shows about 10 people actually skiing on Superstar this AM.  Nothing more clearly shows the frustration that ski area operators face with respect to how weather affects the profit/loss column. If it had been sunny yesterday or today, Superstar would have been mobbed if Friday's crowd was any indication.
  • Killington closed at noon today, just as the weather is clearing up. I was real close to going for an afternoon half day. Sure glad I decided to stay home.
  • Chuckstah said:

Killington closed at noon today, just as the weather is clearing up. I was real close to going for an afternoon half day. Sure glad I decided to stay home.

This week will do a number on what they have stored. Warm and sunny much of the week, with no freeze at night.

I am sure they will be able to rally for June 1, though.
  • Final day is Saturday. Per K report.
  • Chuckstah said:

Final day is Saturday. Per K report.

Just read that. Who's going to be there this weekend? I'm hoping to be there Friday for my final turns of the season.
  • marcski said:

Chuckstah said:

Just read that. Who's going to be there this weekend? I'm hoping to be there Friday for my final turns of the season.
    Planning to be there on Fri. the 25th.

It appears from the Superstar webcam that Killington found enough snow to push down the headwall, so walking (at least in the AM) wont be required. I can't tell from the webcam if they were able to push enough snow into the coral area to keep that part open.
  • Final day is Saturday. Per K report.

It appears from the Superstar webcam that Killington found enough snow to push down the headwall, so walking (at least in the AM) wont be required. I can't tell from the webcam if they were able to push enough snow into the coral area to keep that part open.
    I also saw the strip over the headwall. I hope its deep enough to last through today's warmth so we can ski it on Friday. I am going to be there as well tomorrow and look forward to making some more turns with you, Joshua.
  • edited May 24
    marcski said:

I also saw the strip over the headwall. I hope its deep enough to last through today's warmth so we can ski it on Friday. I am going to be there as well tomorrow and look forward to making some more turns with you, Joshua.
    The entire crew whom you met last week will all be there too.
  • marcski said:

The entire crew whom you met last week will all be there too.
    Awesome. I'm not sure I can keep up with you retired folk!
  • Planning to be there on Fri. the 25th.
    I will be there as well. Give me a shout out if you see me... black pants, black/red t-shirt, sunglasses, skiing on a junk pair of Legend 8000s. Would be nice to meet you in person. The headwall strip looks pretty thin, I am assuming I'll be down hiking most of the day.
  • riverc0il said:
    I will be there as well. Give me a shout out if you see me... black pants, black/red t-shirt, sunglasses, skiing on a junk pair of Legend 8000s. Would be nice to meet you in person. The headwall strip looks pretty thin, I am assuming I'll be down hiking most of the day.
    Me: CM cap and blue CM vest.
  • That's a grim picture right now. Little ribbon down upper headwall. Will be interesting...
  • I think I will be there on Saturday.
    - Sam
  • It's interesting that they're still growing the entire trail. Don't they usually leave it ungroomed by this time of year?
    - Sam
  • It's interesting that they're still growing the entire trail. Don't they usually leave it ungroomed by this time of year?
    They groom it most days they are open in May from what I've seen over the past few years. They usually leave some bumps on the side of the trail. I'd rather they not groom but it makes sense... they can please people who don't like bumps for first tracks and bumps build up by afternoon. It was nice today. Down hiking 30-40' vert of headwall was all but required (except for the loons) by the time I arrived and there was essentially no snow left at the top of the headwall by the time I left. Small break in the middle section of the trail, they might be able to patch it up for tomorrow. Walking was not required except the down hike and getting back to the lift. Good times today, if just a bit too hot.
  • edited May 25
    May 25, 2018 - Fri. Headwall lasted about 75 minutes. After that, people were either sidestepping or hiking down the headwall. It was exhausting! At the bottom there was continuous snow until about 50' before the Superstar HSQ. I suspect tomorrow will be worse. I hope one of us will put out a report. Saw and skied a bit with marcski. I kept looking for someone who met riverc0il's description, but I missed him.
  • May 25, 2018 - Fri. Headwall lasted about 75 minutes. After that, people were either sidestepping or hiking down the headwall. It was exhausting! At the bottom there was continuous snow until about 50' before the Superstar HSQ. I suspect tomorrow will be worse. I hope one of us will put out a report. Saw and skied a bit with marcski. I kept looking for someone who met riverc0il's description, but I missed him.
    I plan on being there tomorrow and will do a full pictured report.
    - Sam
  • May 25, 2018 - Fri. Headwall lasted about 75 minutes. After that, people were either sidestepping or hiking down the headwall. It was exhausting! At the bottom there was continuous snow until about 50' before the Superstar HSQ. I suspect tomorrow will be worse. I hope one of us will put out a report. Saw and skied a bit with marcski. I kept looking for someone who met riverc0il's description, but I missed him.
    I plan on being there tomorrow and will do a full pictured report.
    Cam shows they've connected the dots...get it while it's there!
  • May 25, 2018 - Fri. Saw and skied a bit with marcski. I kept looking for someone who met riverc0il's description, but I missed him.
    I looked for you as well, but I suspect we skied at different parts of the day. I like to arrive later when things start to bump up. Based on your previous reports, that seems to be when you usually call it a day. We'll get to share some turns one of these years!
  • edited May 26
    I had so much fun yesterday and really enjoyed my last day of the season. Joshua, it was fun to see and ski with you again. Riv, I spotted you from the lift at one point, but never got to say hello. Josh and Riv pretty much summed up the day. The down walking was not bad nor anything unusual for this time of year, I've done it many times over Memorial Day weekend. Here are some pics: (Sorry, the formatting seems to have been lost in the recent forum upgrade, I can't embed photos nor can I add spaces to this post) "S" for Superstar at about 8:30 before the lift was spinning: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/894/41453063255_2ac3a16c4e_c.jpg Still a lot of snow left up on the trail: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/877/42307179492_e1867aa022_c.jpg Yours truly dropping a knee: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1760/27485865827_3f91927795_c.jpg
  • It's a great day here! I took one run down the top headwall, but it was extremely rough with unavoidable rocks, so I've been walking down it since. The rest of the trail is connected, with two thin spots before the S-Curve. There is not much of a line yet and large moguls have not yet formed.
    - Sam
  • I see that Mont Saint Saveur, QC will be open tomorrow (May 27). Anyone want to bet that Killington will spin the lift one more time so as not to be outdone?
  • edited May 26
    I see that Mont Saint Saveur, QC will be open tomorrow (May 27). Anyone want to bet that Killington will spin the lift one more time so as not to be outdone?
    If they did, it would be pretty rough. Heardwall is totally gone, there is a gap halfway down, and some significant areas are very thin.
    - Sam
  • I see that Mont Saint Saveur, QC will be open tomorrow (May 27). Anyone want to bet that Killington will spin the lift one more time so as not to be outdone?
    If they did, it would be pretty rough. Heardwall is totally gone, there is a gap halfway down, and some significant areas are very thin.
    I skied there when they spun the lifts with lots bigger gaps on the way down. On one occasion, you hiked down the headwall and there were three major areas of snow with 100+ foot walks between them! Betcha they'd get a couple of hundred people on June 1 - just to say they skied in June.
    I skied there when they spun the lifts with lots bigger gaps on the way down. On one occasion, you hiked down the headwall and there were three major areas of snow with 100+ foot walks between them! Betcha they'd get a couple of hundred people on June 1 - just to say they skied in June.
    I highly doubt they will spin the lift tomorrow. I spoke to a couple that came down from Canada yesterday morning and they said that the open trail at Mt. Saint Sauveur was still buried with no bare spots. Killington will be outdone by Mt. Saint Sauveur this season, whether K-mart is open tomorrow or not.
    2016 was pretty epic (they offered free skiing that day): http://www.thesnowway.com/tsw/2016/05/29/killington-infinite-beast
  • edited May 27
    I see that Mont Saint Saveur, QC will be open tomorrow (May 27). Anyone want to bet that Killington will spin the lift one more time so as not to be outdone?
    No mention of June anymore this season, while the last few season's it was always a goal to reopen, if snow allows. I just read a Mont St. Sauvier report that said 96 inch base top to bottom, but not sure how current it is. If anyone reopens, I think it will be them. Edited to say it's possibly in CM, not inches, but I was on the English version of the site, so not sure?
  • Nice reports guys!! Jealous am I.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • A superb video of what the last day of the season at Killington looks like.
  • A superb video of what the last day of the season at Killington looks like.

Agreed. And, all of the tele love in the video is just great too!!