What is the first chairlift you rode and is it still around

TreillyTreilly advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 141
Mine was the Muller double at Jiminy Peak and technically it is still standing at Highmont but not longer operational

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 16 Posts: 1,795
    Ouch! That really hurts my head! Hmm I think it was some beginner chair at Gunstock, or maybe it was Hogback or Otis. Please forgive me as it was way before the moon landing. I know my first "lift" was a rope at Mt. Snow but that's long gone. I believe a lodge is on top of it now. You can see me in the pool picture, center top, here http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/mtsnow.php . Ok you can't really but I can see the old rope in the 5th pic down.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    My first surface lift was the lower T-Bar at Jiminy Peak also
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited November 16 Posts: 582
    Gramps Chair Brodie mt. Only towers remain.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Single at MRG in 1969.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Single at MRG in 1969.

So after the moon landing. And you went to the top of the gnarliest peak around? Alright, alright, alright!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Wow, good question. Either the Tiger chair (the one at the right) at Sterling Forest (RIP) or one of the ones at Butternut- lost track of what ones are still standing from the early 70's...will need to research

Wow, good question. Either the Tiger chair (the one at the right) at Sterling Forest (RIP) or one of the ones at Butternut- lost track of what ones are still standing from the early 70's...will need to research

Just checked NESKiingHistory: Looks like the towers from Sheave Train are still in use, so that would count for one still operating.
  • edited November 16 Posts: 2,056
    Mine was the Powder Bear Triple at King Pine and that lift is still the first chairlift for many new skiers each season.
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    First chair? That'd either be Hornet Triple at Ski Bradford or the double at Wilderness, which is standing with towers and rope, but no chairs and will definitely never run again.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited November 22 Posts: 363
    My first chair was likely the Little Sister Hall double at Loon in the mid 70's.  The 1966 install Hall is still going strong. Didn't keep good records then. Slight chance it was at Klein Innsbruck. MA, I definitely rode the Skimobile at Cranmore earlier for summer tourism. These two are long gone.
  • Stan51Stan51 novice
    Mixing Bowl Chair at Mount Snow.  It was one of the "assembly line" style chairlifts that had a chain drive rather than a haul rope, and ran from the parking lot up to the base lodge.  This was probably around 1960 or 1961.  I don't know when it was replaced, since I haven't been back there since the early 1960s.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    newpylong said:

Gramps Chair Brodie mt. Only towers remain.

I suppose if you count that one as "still around", I did that one in '68.
    Stan51 said:

Mixing Bowl Chair at Mount Snow.  It was one of the "assembly line" style chairlifts that had a chain drive rather than a haul rope, and ran from the parking lot up to the base lodge.  This was probably around 1960 or 1961.  I don't know when it was replaced, since I haven't been back there since the early 1960s.

According to NE Ski History, the Mixing Bowl was removed in 1997. The oldest operating chair at Mt. Snow is the Beartrap: 1969-70 season.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    edited November 16 Posts: 216
    For skiing, The Nashoba Double. Still standing and operating, but with different chairs. I have one of the old chairs in my backyard. And for sightseeing, the Cranmore Skimobile, when I was a little kid which is long gone. One of those is at my front door.
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    edited November 16 Posts: 101
    First chairlift was what is now called the Black Granite Chair at Spring Mountain, PA. A 60's era Hall. Still standing. Last rode it two years ago.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The Face Chair double at West Mountain in Queensbury, NY.  

I remember thinking it seemed old back in 1980 when I rode it the first time..... 
    ;))
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    The double chair at Eaton Mountain, ME, 2200 feet long with 500 vertical feet. Now long non-operational and not likely to be restored due to its unique components. That might have been my first day ever skiing in 1968; I probably took some practice runs on the rope tow and then skied the very easy Fawn trail from the top.
  • ceoceo intermediate
    edited November 16 Posts: 24
    Hmm, good question. Based on where my family typically went skiing at the time, I think it was probably the main double at Crotched... old Crotched, that is. Might still be standing, sure isn't running. I started skiing at Nashoba, I'm pretty sure, but I know I didn't ride a chairlift because their main hill is actually fairly steep.
    First one I have a clear memory of riding is the Village Lift at Smuggs (Madonna at the time), which is, of course, still there.
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Chairlift #2 with midstation at Campgaw NJ '69-70'??

• skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Double chair at Bousquet.  Not sure if it is still around.
  • JonniJonni intermediate
    The Province Double at Sunapee. Gone in 2000, but many memories. My dad has 5 of those chairs somewhere in the backyard.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Does summer count?  My first lift was the Cannon tram, second lift was Wildcat gondy, July 1966.  But the question is chairlift --  I rode this thing in August of 1966.  In fact the lead chair could be me and my mom.  Probably isn't but could be.

• khowleykhowley intermediate
    Been trying to figure out where my first ski area chair lift ride was.  I'm pretty sure my first chairlift ride was at an amusement part when I was really young.  My first chair lift ride was likely at either King Pine in NH, Blue Hills in MA or Klein Innsbruck in MA.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Mardi Gras double at Holiday Valley. I looked in for the bar, didn't sit down and fell out... 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    bmwskier said:

Mardi Gras double at Holiday Valley. I looked in for the bar, didn't sit down and fell out... 

I usually fall down after finding the bar!
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Tyroline at Stratton, 1961. One of 3 HERON doubles built for the opening season. Ran through 2001 or thereabouts I think. Probably retired after 40 years. 

Looking up the hill this was the beginners lift, a short way to the left of the ski school shed. In those days you could walk up the road to the hill from Lift Line Lodge, Birkenhaus or the Stratton Mountain Inn in a couple minutes, load and be skiing in no time. Today condominium towers block the view and access, a tram ride, a walk though the 'Village' and you are lucky to be skiing in half an hour. 
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

My first Chairlift ride was in the Summer of 1964, on the original Summit Double Chair, at Hunter Mountain.  We were tent camping at the Woodland Valley State Camping area in Phoenicia.  I remember my Dad driving over a dirt road to get there.  Most likely, that road would have been Route 214 through Devils Toombstone, prior to it being paved.  That lift was replaced with the first hydraulically tensioned lift in the U.S., the Poma brand Summit Double, installed in the Summer of 1978.

My first Skiing Chairlift ride was to the mid-station, on one of the two parallel Hall Summit Doubles at Scotch Valley, during Christmas week of 1972.  I don't know if they are still there, or if they were replaced in the 80's, when it was operating as Deer Run. 

• BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Sherburne Double at Burke.....nope...not around anymore!
    Since we are including summer, I will have to amend mine. My parents told stories of me nearly squirming off a chair lift at Gore in the summer. Would have been whatever one was where the old detachable triple was. So not standing, but predates either Sterling Forest or Butternut for me. Butternut still the only one (partly) still standing, though.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Were the lifts removed from Tuxedo Ridge ( Sterling Forest)? I thought they were still standing. I thought the area was supposed to re open at some point.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    1st chair lift for me was at the original Crotched mtn. during NH February school vacation in 1967.