What is the first chairlift you rode and is it still around

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    newman said:

Were the lifts removed from Tuxedo Ridge ( Sterling Forest)? I thought they were still standing. I thought the area was supposed to re open at some point.

Depends on definition of "still around" by the OP. I took that to mean operational, given the Highmount comment.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited November 20 Posts: 280
    Craigmeur double chair, and no, it is gone. Never heard what happened to it.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Not my thread, but a number of responders are giving their first chairlift ride - NOT the title of the thread which is: What is the first chairlift you rode and is it still around.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    edited November 17 Posts: 268
    Gore Mountains Red Gondola, I had only rode surface lifts prior as I was in the 123 learn to ski program. The Summit station is still there and remodeled...lol. Does that count.

~Rich~
    red gondola.jpg
    1000 x 711 - 163K
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    NELSBEER said:

Tyroline at Stratton, 1961. One of 3 HERON doubles built for the opening season. Ran through 2001 or thereabouts I think. Probably retired after 40 years. 

Looking up the hill this was the beginners lift, a short way to the left of the ski school shed. In those days you could walk up the road to the hill from Lift Line Lodge, Birkenhaus or the Stratton Mountain Inn in a couple minutes, load and be skiing in no time. Today condominium towers block the view and access, a tram ride, a walk though the 'Village' and you are lucky to be skiing in half an hour. 
    Tyroline is the 2nd chair I ever rode.  I had a bad start with chairs as I got bucked off the beginner chair at Snow Bowl (NJ)  on my first try and was afraid of them for my 1st year of skiing. I don't count that so my real first chair ride took place the next season on Snowshed at Killington. It is the last remaining double that is there now (there were 3 at the time).  

Just above Tyroline was a T-bar that went to about the 1/2 point on the mountain and I remember struggling with that too.

Had a great fresh cord run on Snowshed last April 16th starting off an outstanding K day.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    download.jpg
    305 x 244 - 11K
    IMG_1381 (1).jpg
    370 x 271 - 14K
    For me it was the Badger double chair at Labrador, a Hall, back in 1976. It was a year old, then, had turquoise painted towers, and still happily turns.

My first surface lift was the Jacopie t-bar at Labrador, also a Hall. It’s the only t-bar left at Lab. Haven’t seen it run in years. I last rode it in 2006. That lift has got to be nearly 60 years old.

IBRAKE
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Face lift at west mountain in 2002. Still around but the old riblet double that went to the summit  isn't.
    Ski it or die trying
  • 210210 novice
    Proud Mary at Yawgoo Valley.  Proud Mary keep on burning...
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    My first chair lift ride was the south double at Maple Valley in the mid 1960's.  It's still standing, but hasn't run in years.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Not my thread, but a number of responders are giving their first chairlift ride - NOT the title of the thread which is: What is the first chairlift you rode and is it still around.
    ride vs. rode, aside from changing tenses, what is the difference between the two?

My first chairlift ride was at Killington
    The first chairlift I rode was at Killington

Either way, the lift is obviously gone.  What am I missing here?
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    I was wondering for skiing. I was just curious, and it makes you realize how many old lifts are gone, but still love that there are still some still going strong today, weather it's at the same resort or not.
    My first chairlift ride was the Grand Slam double at Jiminy Peak during the summer for the alpine slide. The lift towers are still there but the chairs have been replaced
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    OK my first ski lift for the purpose of skiing was the beginner chair at Dutchess.  Also gone.

Come to think of it -- every lift I rode in the previous century, for skiing or sightseeing, aerial or surface, is gone.  I suppose parts of some of them might live on elsewhere in some fashion.

ride vs. rode, aside from changing tenses, what is the difference between the two?

My first chairlift ride was at Killington
    The first chairlift I rode was at Killington

Either way, the lift is obviously gone.  What am I missing here?
    Rick: it seems that I remember you said math was a problem once!  I'm not sure if this qualifies as math, but it is a logic problem.  If I understood the title of the thread: the answer is the first chairlift on which you took a ride to ski - and that chairlift is still spinning today.  A few posters seem to have extended it to include lifts that are still standing but not running (such as Grampas at Brodie and the doubles at Maple Valley.)

• montebedimontebedi intermediate
    newman said:

Were the lifts removed from Tuxedo Ridge ( Sterling Forest)? I thought they were still standing. I thought the area was supposed to re open at some point.

Yeah I believe it is still standing was there for Renaissance fair a few weeks ago and I think I saw some chairs were still up.

My first chair was the Sunway chair at gore, rode it once in 2000 and haven't rode it since.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    same as my first rope tow, the long lost cascade mountain virginia.  steep short double, felt dangerous. good times.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited November 19 Posts: 1,582
    Not sure of my first chairlift ride but it should have been Snow Bowl NJ or Craigmeur. I first got into Nelsap and snowjournal by remembering skiing at Snowbowl with my dad between his skis going up the tbar. Some how it led me to this online thing talking to people with the same goofy interest of remembering a closed ski area from a half century back. A year later we had a group of snowjournalists hiking SB 9/07. Skiing in the snow bowl was back in the days were your mom dropped me and my brother off she want to do whatever it is she did shopping etc. and we were by ourselves not worrying about any molesters etc. of course at age 14 I was probably 6 foot tall at least. moving along it was probably 73 or so when my brother and I were riding the beginner chairlift at snowbowl and I was cocky and I got off too early and fellunder the landing ramp. I also remember Carly Simon's you're so vain playing on the loudspeaker some reason another that stuck in my mind

The first gondy would be at Wildcat mid 60's, that was solved here by you guys

I'm the 7 yr old or so on the left , my brother looks about 2 so I would say '66 on the c+s colored bubble gondy cabinsimage
    IMG_2922.JPG
    3296 x 1854 - 334K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 19 Posts: 1,795

Rick: it seems that I remember you said math was a problem once!  I'm not sure if this qualifies as math, but it is a logic problem.  If I understood the title of the thread: the answer is the first chairlift on which you took a ride to ski - and that chairlift is still spinning today.  A few posters seem to have extended it to include lifts that are still standing but not running (such as Grampas at Brodie and the doubles at Maple Valley.)

I'm not sure a Logical conjunction applies to this type of question when it starts with "What...". Everyone here has an answer to the first part of this question, but it isn't yes or no. In other words the answer to the first question isn't true or false. Any philosophy majors in the house...er.. SJ? Does Joshua ski at Crotched and does he like glades?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    edited November 20 Posts: 133
    The title is clear.  "What is the first chairlift you rode and is it still around."
    The  OP answer was that about his first ... "it is still around"  .
    No derivatives, no integrals, no linear algebra, no numerical methods, no greens theorem, no hamiltonian, no maxwell, no bernoulli, no gauss....

OK: We probably at this point need to ask treilly who actually started the thread what he meant!

OK: We probably at this point need to ask treilly who actually started the thread what he meant!

I think the meaning is pretty apparent. There are two questions that the title is asking: What is the first chairlift you rode? & Is that chairlift still around?
    - Sam
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

Not my thread either, but I think that if we turn this into a High School English class vs a Ski forum, we will continue to see less traffic here. No damage done, just let it fly.

JMHO

Mea culpa: You know what happened? My dyslexia got the best of me [Unless the title of the thread was changed (which is doable in SJ2.0)], I read the question as "what is the first chairlift you rode and it is still around."

Correcting my earlier answer: North American Double at Stratton in 1966 and no - it was removed in 1985!
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Main double at Dutchess. No idea where it might have gone but a hike up the mount Beacon trail will give you a sight of the old concrete tower footings.

1st surface lift would be the beginner T bar at Jiminy.

All I was wondering what was the first chairlift you rode for skiing purposes (since this is a site about skiing) and is it still around. Doesn't mean the lift has to be operational such as my lift is now at Highmount but hasn't run for around 25 years. I thought it was a pretty simple question.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    My first chairlift was the beginner double at Snow Bowl in NJ. It is no longer operating.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    I agree with NJski, its really not a big deal. 

Gore Mountain 4 Passenger was removed in 1998 I believe. 
    ~Rich~
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Now, here's a question related to this--- my first lift, the Mardi Gras double is long gone. I have one of the chairs as a bench-- but what happened to the rest of it? Are the towers, bullwheel and cable recycled? I know some are sold off, but are others taken "somewhere" like old ships end up in Brownsville, TX? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    edited November 21 Posts: 170
    Either The Province Double @ Sunapee, gone, and replaced with a quad, or the Gunshy Double @ Gunstock, also gone, thought it's ghost has persisted on maps for a mighty long time.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited November 22 Posts: 232
    First place I skied was Blue Knob, PA in 1967, but I can't remember if my first chair lift ride occurred during that visit or at another ski area at a later time.  If not the first, this main double chair at Blue Knob was close to my first chair ride in 1967 or 68 and it's still operating.
    Photo from 2009, includes very large Steelers fan!