Mt. Snow, Vermont Nov 15 2017

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
edited November 2017 in Trip Reports Posts: 266
A perfect first day of the season at Mt. Snow!

Weather was ideal - upper 20's to start, mid 30's in the afternoon, plenty of sunshine. No real wind. No crowds either - all chairs ski on. I was very impressed by what was open so early in the season - something for everybody. 11 trails open with wall to wall coverage and no ice or bare spots. Their snowmaking investment sure paid off!

Some observations:

1. Used a shortcut for the first time to get there from Route 9 west of Wilmington instead of going up Route 100 - saved 6 miles and about 12 minutes of driving, a significant improvement.

2. Liftopia tickets were $39.

3. Like the bubbles at Okemo, the Bluebird is one heck of an awesome lift - fast, comfortable and spacious.

4. Midwinter trail conditions in mid-November was quite a treat!

5. The newly widened Long John trail is a whole new experience - a great way for novices to enjoy a wider trail from the summit, with beautiful views.

6. The Bullwheel Tavern at the summit lodge was a great place to stop for lunch - and they had Hill Farmstead beer on tap, making it all that much better. Menu was limited as it was early season though.

7. The new Carinthia lodge is taking shape.

8. River Run - although it's just a connector to the North Face, it's a decent intermediate trail in its own right with some fun dips and curves. 

Look forward to getting back there again sometime soon. 

cascade.jpg
960 x 540 - 74K
deer run.jpg
960 x 540 - 130K
long john.jpg
960 x 540 - 73K
river run.jpg
960 x 540 - 100K
23718265_10214881999026319_1762158995_n.jpg
800 x 450 - 81K
23666729_10214881998626309_576359254_n.jpg
800 x 450 - 70K
23718120_10214881997826289_1077875860_n.jpg
612 x 612 - 80K

Comments

Thanks for the report! Conditions look great there, it looks like mid-January of last season already.
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    While Killington got opening day honors on the 8th and passed snow-control for the World Cup, I think that by Nov. 10, Mt. Snow was way ahead of Killington as far as providing a better product for their skiers.  It would appear that their new snowmaking upgrade is a resounding success.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Definitely - and one of the good things was that they had terrain for all skiers - easy and long Deer Run, park features on Carinthia, ungroomed moguls on the North Face, and cruising on Cascade-Canyon. And a beginner chair too. That was a lot of acreage for so early in the season.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Did you go over Chimney Hill? Much quicker coming from the west.
    NELSAP said:

Definitely - and one of the good things was that they had terrain for all skiers - easy and long Deer Run, park features on Carinthia, ungroomed moguls on the North Face, and cruising on Cascade-Canyon. And a beginner chair too. That was a lot of acreage for so early in the season.

Just curious: Did you see any beginners out on the hill?  The people at Killington to whom I spoke didn't seem to think beginner business was even 10% of the early season market.
  • thebigothebigo novice

NELSAP said:

Just curious: Did you see any beginners out on the hill?  The people at Killington to whom I spoke didn't seem to think beginner business was even 10% of the early season market.
    Not true beginner business but I am finding myself somewhat annoyed that lynx in the only option on the peak pass in New Hampshire after two weeks of ample snowmaking opportunities. My four year old daughter can ski most everything on the map at crotched and several routes from the top of wildcat but I am not comfortable with lynx as the only option her first time out this year, it did not ski like a blue last week. The three plus hour drive to mt snow is not a day trip option with a young family.

My suspicion is that there are many families with young kids who would show up at on of the peaks NH options, and spend food/beverage money, if there was a low intermediate or beginner option open. Magnitude off the valley quad or polecat top to bottom would have gotten 2 - 3 days out of my family rather than one solo day by myself with a bagged lunch. 
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Just a few beginners on the short triple - but there were a few novices on the summit trails too.

I did come over from Chimney Hill. As you said Newpylong, definitely faster!
  • slathamslatham advanced
    NELSAP said:

Just a few beginners on the short triple - but there were a few novices on the summit trails too.

If you're coming up 91 have you ever tried the short cut by getting off at Greenfield?
  • slathamslatham advanced
    By the way great report and pics etc. thanks.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    NELSAP said:

Chimney Hill

;)
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    slatham said:

NELSAP said:

If you're coming up 91 have you ever tried the short cut by getting off at Greenfield?
    My parents have done that before. Good way to avoid Rte 9 if there is a sever weather event. I come from the North, so I sometimes choose to do the shortcut via Putney.
    NELSAP said:

Remembering back to the early days of snowmaking, Killington used to open on a WROD on Snowshed.  They got smart and realized:
    1.  Early season skiers aren't beginners
    2.  Snow holds a whole lot better at 4000' elevation than it does at 2500'.

I notice that Killington had started making snow on the Magic Carpet hill to the east the main Snowshed slope, probably in anticipation of Thanksgiving week, but I'm pretty sure Snowsports isn't open for business at most of the early bird opening areas.
  • podunk77podunk77 intermediate
    I'm planning to go there for a few days the week after Thanksgiving.  Look to be some warm days between now and then... hopefully won't affect conditions too much.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Expect some big snowmaking plan updates from Mount Snow tomorrow (Saturday) for Thanksgiving week. If the weather plays out like they believe it will, Mount Snow should be able to basically double their current open acreage by Thanksgiving Weekend!

podunk77 said:

I'm planning to go there for a few days the week after Thanksgiving.  Look to be some warm days between now and then... hopefully won't affect conditions too much.

• podunk77podunk77 intermediate
    Thanks, DrJeff.... just the kind of reassurance I was hoping for!   :)
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    On the snow report this morning, was the snow plan for the next week.... Nitro, Mineshaft, Ridge, the Exhibition - Lodge route, Snowdance, Plummet and Chute by next weekend if the weather pans out like they're thinking currently!!

Loving the firepower the West Lake project has given them!! (And the snow on the hill this morning is pretty good I will ad!)
    podunk77 said:

Thanks, DrJeff.... just the kind of reassurance I was hoping for!   :)

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    That is a lot of acreage, very impressive.