Lodging Accessible Only by Ski Trail

edited November 2017 in NELSAP Forum
I recall read an article in Ski Magazine which discussed lodging that can only be accessed by alpine ski runs (or other trails in addition to the ski trail) and not roads. The only places listed in the US were at Sugar Bowl and Vail. I know that Shawnee Peak has a couple of yurts on the mountain and Nunnemacher Cabin at Dartmouth Skiway can accommodate up to 20 guests (I've stayed there in the summer). What other lodging options are there like this in New England or elsewhere in the US? Campsites and shelters primarly used for hiking do not count.

Nunnemacher Cabin
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 497K
- Sam

Comments

• Windblown XC has a hut they rent by the night only accessible by trails. I think they will ahuttle some stuff for you on a snowmobile.
  • I think Lake Louise has a cabin for rent as well.
  • The Stone Hut at Stowe comes to mind. Not accessible by road, as long as there is snow on the ground anyway.
  • obienick said:

Windblown XC has a hut they rent by the night only accessible by trails. I think they will ahuttle some stuff for you on a snowmobile.

Im not counting XC because I know there are many, many options for XC overnight stays.
    - Sam
  • Chuckstah said:

The Stone Hut at Stowe comes to mind. Not accessible by road, as long as there is snow on the ground anyway.

Did they ever rebuild it after the Burtons burnt it down?
  • Yes. It was rebiult and open for business. It was partially paid for by the Burton family.
  • I can't remember what it was called, but Ragged Mountain used to have a cabin (at the top of the trail called "Cabin Fever"), that they rented for many years,  It was accessed either by chairlift or SnoCat.  In more recent years, it became a snack bar.  I was told  that it was torn down.
  • Alta Alps Chalet.  It's accessible by road in the summer, but during ski season they bring all your stuff up by snowcat and you ski in/ski out.  Used to be you could ride the Cecret lift up to it, but Cecret's gone?   I looked into it once but the expense was pretty serious

• Silcox Hut, Mt. Hood, OR  Well worth the expense if you have the chance to stay there. Same deal as the Alta one: cat brings gear up, ski there at end of day, great meals and you can't beat the sunset and sunrise from above timberline.