Historic use of handwarmers

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 216
While reading through newspapers for the new book, I came across an article from 1957 that said that chemical handwarmers were helping to take the harsh edge off of skiing. I had no idea they have been around that long. Does anybody remember using them back in the day?

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 21 Posts: 1,795
    We just talking chemical exothermic? Because I used ones with lighter fluid back in the late 60s while delivering newspapers
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited November 21 Posts: 1,857
    ski_it said:

We just talking chemical endothermic? Because I used ones with lighter fluid back in the late 60s while delivering newspapers

Me too (and you bring back fond memories of my paper route) - but I don't think the chemical to which Jeremy was referring was naphtha :-)  The device was fine for a paper route, but pretty clunky for skiing.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Don't know about the original time frame, but just ordered a 40+ lb full case of warmer's brand 7+hr hand warmers for my families use for hopefully the full length of this season!!
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ski_it said:

We just talking chemical endothermic? Because I used ones with lighter fluid back in the late 60s while delivering newspapers

never thought of that!  Probably work great as long as the matches don't get wet

;)
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

ski_it said:

never thought of that!  Probably work great as long as the matches don't get wet

;)
    If I remember right, they ignited with the same kind of flint used in Zippo lighters.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced

ski_it said:

;)
    If I remember right, they ignited with the same kind of flint used in Zippo lighters.
    Zippo still makes them.  I have one.  You fill with zippo lighter fluid, then light a slow-burning element inside the metal housing, then put the whole thing in a small cloth bag.  They are pretty warm, but they make you smell like a chemical spill. i would use it for a walk in the woods, but not for anything active like skiing. 

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 21 Posts: 1,795

Now that you mention it Cannonball, I can still remember that smell. It was very warm. Sometimes too warm.

A chemical type was patented in Japan in around 1912 and the first prototype 1923. - Wiki source. And I had my thermics mixed up. Its exo

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mapnutmapnut expert

What's the difference between a Zippo and a hippo?

A hippo weighs about 2 tons. A Zippo is a little lighter.

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    ba-dum-bump!
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    My dad had one of those Zippo-type lighters ... maybe even a Zippo brand for all I know.  On ski days, we would sometimes eat lunch in the car and take turns using the hand warmer.  

I remember one time my feet had become chilled at Okemo.  I put the hand warmer into one boot for a while, then the other.  (Not while skiing, but while taking a break.)  The vapors (a mix of Zlppo fluid and foot BO, I guess) didn't do much for the atmosphere in the car, but my feet were warmer.

Woody
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 23 Posts: 1,795
  • JimKJimK advanced
    I tend to have hot hands and have never used a handwarmer, but I remember my Mom had one of the zippo lighter type warmers back in the 1970s that she would sometimes carry in her ski jacket.  She was also a year-round golfer here in Virginia and I think she carried it on cool golf days too.