Currently Family owned ski areas, not corporate as far as you know

ciscokidciscokid expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,582
I'm sure we touched a list of these before but I'm curious how few ski areas are owned exclusively by 1 family and as far as you know no stock or partners or anything publicly traded.

The Meyer family as far as I know still owns Caberfae here in Michigan since the early eighties and still a large player.

List area and owner name.

Comments

• edited November 22 Posts: 2,056
    We just had this exact same topic a few months ago, let me see if I can find it.
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Yes thanks

But I guess I'm looking at strictly private family or individual. No cooperative, stockholders, etc.
    And I guess just one area that they focus on
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Ober Gatlinburg, TN. Has been in the Anders family since the early 70's.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 22 Posts: 850
    OK, so let's start listing actual families. Meyers (Caberfae), Anders (Ober Gatlinburg), Cochrans (Cochran's), Crowleys (Wachusett), Berries (Saddleback when last open and unfortunately still the owners), Schaeffers (Berkshire East) . . .
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Jim Wiseman Owns Swiss Valley in SW Michigan
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Tim Woods owner/operator Woods Valley. His father built and ran the ski area and his son Tim worked his way up at Windham and went back and bought Woods valley a few years ago. 
    ~Rich~
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    The O'Briens own Oak Mt., NY
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    mapnut said:

OK, so let's start listing actual families. Meyers (Caberfae), Anders (Ober Gatlinburg), Cochrans (Cochran's), Crowleys (Wachusett), Berries (Saddleback when last open and unfortunately still the owners), Schaeffers (Berkshire East) . . .

Interesting when you get into some nitpickin' details.  
    Cochran's (I think) became a non-profit foundation a few years ago, so does it still qualify?.

Crowleys don't own Wachusett.  They have a long term lease to operate it.  I'm not sure that qualifies as privately owned.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
     Elk Mountain, don't know the family name but they have some kind of agreement or something with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, somehow provides an assist so -- like Cochran's but perhaps not as much -- not sure they qualify

Plattekill is family owned

Ski Brule is operated by a husband & wife team, but not sure they are the sole owners
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 22 Posts: 1,795
    Cochrans is a non profit 501 (c) (3) since 1999. Marilyn told me so.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • newmannewman advanced
    Plattekill is Lazlo Nemith (something like that). Bousquet was George Jervis until his death. O guess his longtime partner Sherry Roberts owns it now. Ski Ward is John LeCrox. Very hands on. I think Catamount is one guy also. Good question is what one owner or family owned area is the biggest?
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    Spring Mountain is owned by Richard and Gayle Buckman of the Buckman ski shop family.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    newman said:

Plattekill is Lazlo Nemith (something like that). Bousquet was George Jervis until his death. O guess his longtime partner Sherry Roberts owns it now. Ski Ward is John LeCrox. Very hands on. I think Catamount is one guy also. Good question is what one owner or family owned area is the biggest?

Yeah. Platty. Owned by Lazlo & Danielle Vajtay.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Bolton was bought by the original family and several investors. Not sure if that counts. 

http://www.boltonvalley.com/about-us/press-room/deslauriers-family-local-investors-buy-bolton-valley-ski-resort-96
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    mapnut said:

Thanks Map,

I guess as further limitations, owned by a sole family( cousins, 2nd generation marry in ok,)
    No financial writeoff as in 503,501, 401haha

http://explorecadillac.org/2016/11/21/the-science-of-snowmaking/
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Black NH - the Ficheras.
  • powderstudpowderstud intermediate
    Don't forget Nashoba Valley, still owned by the Fletcher family.
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    edited November 23 Posts: 59
    Jackson Hole - Jay Kemmerer
    Crystal Mountain, WA - John Kircher
    Peter said:

Peter said:

Ok since you brought up the Kirchers Peter we need further clarification, does John solely own it( non public,i.e. Boyne USA)?

• PeterPeter intermediate
    edited November 23 Posts: 59
    Boyne itself is family-owned.  Not sure exactly by whom but I think primarily Steve Kircher, John's brother.  Boyne now includes Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Loon Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain, Brighton, Big Sky, The Summit at Snoqualmie and Cypress Mountain.  Crystal is no longer part of Boyne as of April 1, 2017.
    Peter said:

Boyne itself is family-owned.  Not sure exactly by whom but I think primarily Steve Kircher, John's brother.  Boyne now includes Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Loon Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain, Brighton, Big Sky, The Summit at Snoqualmie and Cypress Mountain.  Crystal is no longer part of Boyne as of April 1, 2017.

Publicly traded?
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    Bill Stritzler became the sole owner of Smugglers Notch in 1996.
    http://www.smuggs.com/pages/universal/corporate/history.php
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Ski Ward (Ward Hill). I don't know who owns the area. I think they still lease the land on the hill, but I'm not sure abouth that, either.
  • newmannewman advanced
    John LaCrox ownes Ward and leases the land from the Ward family. The house across the street has a few Ward Trucking vehicles on the land.