New Trail maps Hub

ADKskierADKskier advanced
edited November 22 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 268
Who has got a new Trail map post it here!

Whiteface has an appealing new trail map. Looks like their trail map from the 60s-70s

~Rich~

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Any opinions on the new Mount Snow map?  I'm so used to the Niehues map it was a bit of a shock when I saw it

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    edited November 22 Posts: 268
    Looks like Bellearye Went with the same style as Whiteface for their new map as well. Both maps are done by K.M. Mastin not familiar with the name. 

K.M Mastin
    ~Rich~
    Anything that's not James Niehues looks strange to me....
    ~Rich~
  • obienickobienick expert
    Killington has a new map as well ... http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/trail_map/winter-trail-map.pdf

They used to have a James Niehues map that they edited the colors on. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    ADKskier said:

Looks like Bellearye Went with the same style as Whiteface for their new map as well. Both maps are done by K.M. Mastin not familiar with the name. 

K.M Mastin

Better than what they used to have. Gore seems to be the same one
    Yep Gore still doing digital

~Rich~
  • slathamslatham advanced

Any opinions on the new Mount Snow map?  I'm so used to the Niehues map it was a bit of a shock when I saw it

I am a fan.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

Meh- I prefer Niehues to VistaMap
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I love how the Killington map has Juggernaut as a blue square - it's about as flat as can possibly be and still be considered a downhill trail. I skied it when freshly groomed and immediately regretted it. Pushing and poling nearly the whole way down.

But it is a nice map!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    NELSAP said:

I love how the Killington map has Juggernaut as a blue square - it's about as flat as can possibly be and still be considered a downhill trail. I skied it when freshly groomed and immediately regretted it. Pushing and poling nearly the whole way down.

But it is a nice map!

There is a sign that warns snowboarders not to take it.  For all the times I've skied Killington, I've never skied Juggernaut. My guess for the "Blue" rating is that while a beginner could negotiate that trail, it would be very tiring on arms doing all that pushing and the beginner hasn't learned to skate. Other than bragging rights for the longest trail, I don't know why they don't take it off the map and let it grow in.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Juggernaut has been blue for a few years now. I think it was "upgraded" when Great Northern was as well.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Blandford's is updated.
    SkiBlandfordTrailmap.jpg
    1567 x 1296 - 411K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 23 Posts: 1,795
    obienick said:

Juggernaut has been blue for a few years now. I think it was "upgraded" when Great Northern was as well.

It should be flat black.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ADKskier said:

K.M Mastin

Kevin is a talented artist and an all-around great guy. I had the chance to work with him (mostly non ski-related) during my "tenure" in Leadville. Last I spoke with him about trail maps, he was working on quite a few new projects. In some regions, I suspect his work will become as common and recognizable as James Niehues'. Though admittedly, so many of us have just become so accustomed to thinking of Niehues' maps as the "standard trail map" that any other maps take some time to warm up to!

Kevin's work is fantastic. He's done quite a few at this point, including some "big" names. Keystone and Loveland come to mind. Don't mean to sound like I'm shilling for him... but I can definitely vouch for both his work, and his personal integrity.

ADKskier said:

K.M Mastin

Kevin is a talented artist and an all-around great guy. I had the chance to work with him (mostly non ski-related) during my "tenure" in Leadville. Last I spoke with him about trail maps, he was working on quite a few new projects. In some regions, I suspect his work will become as common and recognizable as James Niehues'. Though admittedly, so many of us have just become so accustomed to thinking of Niehues' maps as the "standard trail map" that any other maps take some time to warm up to!

Kevin's work is fantastic. He's done quite a few at this point, including some "big" names. Keystone and Loveland come to mind. Don't mean to sound like I'm shilling for him... but I can definitely vouch for both his work, and his personal integrity.
    The maps are beautiful, I wish him success. Just have never seen it. 
    ~Rich~
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I understand Niehues has retired, so the field is wide open!
    mapnut said:

I thought so, too; but from the looks of his FB page, he's still at it! https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiehues/

I recall reading a few years ago that he was training an apprentice, and planned to retire completely. But then it seems like he ramped back up. So who knows?
    I like the Mastin maps, reminds me a little of some maps from the 1960s.  He makes Mt Southington look terrific

Always liked the Bill Brown maps too.  And the Niehues, although they tended to be the most exaggerated/least accurate, but beautiful art no question.

My hang up with the Belleayre map is half of the printed map is left and right of the ski trails, and as a result the trails are really compressed
    mapnut said:

He painted the new Gunstock map.
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 28 Posts: 850
    Looking at the Facebook page, he finished the Gunstock map in May and since then, he created a new map for the Montana Snow Bowl. It includes a large expansion to the southwest. Thanks for the link, Patrick, and welcome to Snowjournal!
  • CannonballCannonball advanced

Kevin is a talented artist and an all-around great guy. I had the chance to work with him (mostly non ski-related) during my "tenure" in Leadville.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but what was your tenure in Leadville all about? I used to live there and still have family in town.

Kevin is a talented artist and an all-around great guy. I had the chance to work with him (mostly non ski-related) during my "tenure" in Leadville.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but what was your tenure in Leadville all about? I used to live there and still have family in town.
    I was on the management team at Ski Cooper for the past 4 years. I had also lived in Leadville before, while attending Colorado Mountain College.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced

I was on the management team at Ski Cooper for the past 4 years. I had also lived in Leadville before, while attending Colorado Mountain College.
    Cool!  My uncle Ken has done the accounting for Ski Cooper and my cousins have been on some of the nordic race teams.  My aunt runs the Full Circle program in town.  I get back there every few years.  I really like the community there...even though it's a pretty weird place!

Cool!  My uncle Ken has done the accounting for Ski Cooper and my cousins have been on some of the nordic race teams.  My aunt runs the Full Circle program in town.  I get back there every few years.  I really like the community there...even though it's a pretty weird place!
    Leadville is certainly a unique place, and a fun little town. Yes, Ken's annual financial reviews are always a key part of the end-of-FY review with the Board. And we definitely worked with Alice & the Full Circle team to provide skiing opportunities for the kids. It's a great program.

[Sorry for the thread hijack... back to trailmaps now]
    edited November 28 Posts: 1,146

Welcome to Snowjournal!!!!!!

Well now we are talking! Ski Cooper is the best in the west.

If it were up to me I would ski at Cooper and nowhere else in Colorado.  Unfortunately I've only made it there 5 or 6 times.  Love it!
     Back side 

Here's a photo below from 2016, with my daughters.  Cooper offers cat skiing on the ridge in the background.  This was the day that their future husbands both asked my permission to marry.  One asked while riding the double, the other was while the two of us were riding the quad.  Neither one knew that the other guy was doing the same.  Special day!

This is Cooper, one of my grand pups.  He's named for Ski Cooper.

Hijack over.  No apologies here!  Ski Cooper has the best snow, best atmosphere, closest parking, great prices, nicest people, best in Colorado, period!
    skicooperbackbowl.jpg
    640 x 349 - 149K
    skicooper.jpg
    720 x 540 - 271K
    cooper the dog.jpg
    700 x 882 - 423K
     "Leadville is a weird town" -- no argument here
  • edited November 28 Posts: 8
    Thanks, rickbolger, for the welcome, and the kind words about Cooper! It's a very special place in this business, and the team there takes great pride in maintaining its historical character and laid-back vibe, while still growing organically and delivering solid financial results. The new lift and advanced terrain expansion will really round things out when it opens in a couple years. As for me, I'm excited to be diving into some new ventures as of this past summer, but I miss Cooper already. Best snow surface in CO, hands-down. But then... I just might be a tad biased (http://skicooper.com/behind-the-scenes-grooming-and-why-coopers-snow-is-always-so-soft/;)
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I also love Ski Cooper.  Everyone was so friendly (a nice change from some of the other resorts I visited on this trip).  Skied there on a Saturday and got rock-star parking, just steps from the lodge.  Saw the ski school director and introduced myself.  He invited me to chat and we probably talked for nearly an hour.  I'll go back anytime.
    I'm not sure if it was new this year or last, but Lost Valley has a good looking new map:image
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    1200 x 775 - 311K
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Someone reported recently that Lost Valley has a T-bar they plan to install on that narrow chute left of Chair #1. It doesn't look that way on the map, but all 3 lifts will have the same vertical (about 240 feet).

By the way, the mountains in the background are totally fictitious.