Snow "Magnets"

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 823
OK, more trail discussion: What trails are often (always) the first where you ski often to open without any snowmaking. Exposure (sun and wind) and elevation usually play the biggest role.

I'll start with:
Sugarbush: Spillsville. Up high, sheltered from wind. Not much in the way of (any?) waterbars that need to fill in. Little (if any)  blowover from snowmaking trails on either side, so that is not a disqualifying factor.

Close second is Domino.

Others?

Comments

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Vista Way at Cannon due to it's high elevation. It may open today for opening day. Also, Upper Ridge run at Killington for the same reason
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Chuckstah said:

Vista Way at Cannon due to it's high elevation. It may open today for opening day. Also, Upper Ridge run at Killington for the same reason

Neither open yet, but will watch
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Chuckstah said:

Vista Way at Cannon due to it's high elevation. It may open today for opening day.

It never did. But it looked pretty good all things considered.
    Today's report said "possible" but unfortunately I wasn't there. Soon.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Chuckstah said:

I was very surprised by this morning's report saying "possible". But then when I checked it out I thought....hmmm maybe they are on to something! You're right, soon!

I still haven't figured out my answer for this thread. It seems so variable based on the year. Paulie's at Cannon was my first thought, but these days they blow snow on it before it opens (even if it could have opened without the help). So I guess that disqualifies it.

Chuckstah said:

I was very surprised by this morning's report saying "possible". But then when I checked it out I thought....hmmm maybe they are on to something! You're right, soon!

I still haven't figured out my answer for this thread. It seems so variable based on the year. Paulie's at Cannon was my first thought, but these days they blow snow on it before it opens (even if it could have opened without the help). So I guess that disqualifies it.

Obviously a big dump opens a lot of terrain, and there will be no scientific proof of any "correct" answers. Just curious for some home cooking based on peoples' years of experience. Spillsville is almost always the first natural snow trail to open at Sugarbush when the only other options are snowmaking trails. Sounds like there are similar places at other areas.
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    Thomke's at Smugg's
    Lord Loop at Stowe, a short narrow path off the top. It is open now on natural.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    The last 48 hrs. have seen some major dumps at Stowe, Smuggs and Jay Peak with a foot and a half falling on all these areas. Wish I didn't have to work I'd go play in it.
  • obienickobienick expert
    How much of that "natural" on Lord Loop is blowover from Lord?
    edited November 27 Posts: 363
    obienick said:

How much of that "natural" on Lord Loop is blowover from Lord?

I couldn't say how much,  some near the entrance and exit I'm sure, but the recent 14 inches up high is certainly enough to open it.  Part of Toll Road is open as well.  Stowe is reporting a 4-8 inch base on natural trails.   I wish I could afford to go there.  Jay peak is reporting some glades and naturals open off the Jet triple as well.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Remski said:

The last 48 hrs. have seen some major dumps at Stowe, Smuggs and Jay Peak with a foot and a half falling on all these areas. Wish I didn't have to work I'd go play in it.

A foot and half and no pics for the starving?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Chuckstah said:

Only skier's left side about 8' wide, though.  ;))

It isn't just because of elevation or else all of Cannon's upper mountain trails would get the same bounty. Vista skier's left definitely does the best for catching the early season natural out of Cannon's upper mountain trails.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Remski said:

A foot and half and no pics for the starving?
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155875759229441.1073742127.19659899440&type=1&l=bc67783c6f ;
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Twister & Ridge Run (and their linked trails) at Plattykill open well in marginal conditions.

Upper Exhibition at Smuggs' is currently open, albeit maybe only a portion.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    edited December 1 Posts: 823
    Spillsville and Paradise extension just opened at Sugarbush. They have been on Ripcord with snowmaking, but neither gets much blowover...just enough squalls hitting the ridge to get some down. I imagine it is pretty bony, but anyway...