Largest cancelled expansions

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 823
I was doing some browsing on GE and landed on Berkshire Snow Basin, and noticed the old cut to the top of Bryant Mt. It would have added 450' to a 550' area, nearly doubling the vertical (roughly 80% more).

Question for the masses:

Are there any other planned expansions that didn't happen that would have added a greater percentage of existing vert to a ski area in NE? Not trail count, just top-to-bottom drop.

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    There was Petersburg Pass who cut trails down into the Valley to the west that would have increased the vertical from about 800 to 1600 vertical.

There was Temple Mtn. who acquired land intending to increase its vertical from about 600' to 1000' vertical.  The acreage was used for cross-country, but the expansion never happened,

There was Marble Mtn., NY that was nominally 2850' vertical but only had lifts servicing 850' vertical before going under.

Several areas that operated after chopping off the majority of their vertical lift service ops:
    Big Squaw up in ME sort of fits this category with the upper lift dead
    Arrowhead, NH
    North Creek Ski Bowl, NY (now incorporated into Gore)

There have been several cases where trails have been cut for a new pod, but the lift for the pod never was installed:
    Tenney Mtn., NH.
  • obienickobienick expert
    I would say the largest is probably the interconnect between Mt. Snow and Haystack. 5 lifts and some 40+ trails depending how you count them.

image(image stitched from the two on Rocket's site)
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    edited November 23 Posts: 170
    Following on with Obie's minor hijack, Parker's Gore at Killington would have been a truly massive expansion. Its cancellation not only was a failure to expand, but caused shrinkage with the loss of Northeast Passage.

Joshua, Glen Ellen's Gen. Stark line is another example of that. So far, so is Ragged's treework
    Tenney had a major expansion in the works during the late 80s which would have added 150 vertical feet. Trails and a lift line were cut, but the lift was never installed.
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    Hunters X area on the West.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Ascutney went higher, and it became the demise of the area.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Some foreshadowing here on my part.... The Balsams! 8-|
    newman said:

Probably not.  The HSQ was virtually unusable because they didn't budget for the snowmaking and trail work necessary to actually use it.  That being said, putting in an expensive lift without being able to use it adds debt without providing a revenue stream to pay it.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

newman said:

Probably not.  The HSQ was virtually unusable because they didn't budget for the snowmaking and trail work necessary to actually use it.  That being said, putting in an expensive lift without being able to use it adds debt without providing a revenue stream to pay it.
    Many of us saw spending big bucks on the HSQ and not snowmaking was foolish. This was not a case of "If you build they will come.
    TomWhite said:

newman said:

Many of us saw spending big bucks on the HSQ and not snowmaking was foolish. This was not a case of "If you build they will come."
    The problem was, they only half-built it, so there was nothing to which to come!
  • obienickobienick expert
    I misread the quesiton. No hijack intended.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 27 Posts: 850

Round Top/Bear Creek/Plymouth Notch had an ambitious plan a few years ago, more than doubling their terrain and increasing their vertical (though still short of the originally claimed 1300 feet!). There would be chairlifts south of the existing area on both the east and west faces, unloading further up the ridge.

http://newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/bearcreek/summit.php

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Walter Schoenknecht's atomic bomb comes to mind, although I suppose you have to have a real plan in order to qualify as "cancelled"

Walter Schoenknecht's atomic bomb comes to mind, although I suppose you have to have a real plan in order to qualify as "cancelled"

I thought that was John Plausteiner's idea when he was GM at Mt. Snow ca. 1970 - no?

I thought that was John Plausteiner's idea when he was GM at Mt. Snow ca. 1970 - no?
    No  it was Schoenknecht's publicity machine Mt Snow bottom of page one

Ski magazine 

Is Plausteiner the same guy who fizzled at Ascutney?
  • RubyGirlRubyGirl novice
    John Plausteiner was the dad. The son, Steve, owned Ascutney.
    RubyGirl said:

John Plausteiner was the dad. The son, Steve, owned Ascutney.

Thanks.  Interesting.  I remembered the name because he used to have a husband-wife photo in their brochures early 2000s and it always seemed like Ascutney was a money pit, even to the casual observer.  Felt sorry for the guy.
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    edited November 27 Posts: 45
    I remember seeing a map of the proposed Bolton expansion which went almost down to I-89. We were working on a hypothetical project for a class when Bob Fries was at Bolton and he showed us the map, which may have been from the 70s or early 80s. Anyone able to find a copy online?
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    IIRC, there were proposals back in the early 60's for a Smuggs' expansion further up Morse and north over to White Face. That peak is just as high as Madonna and would have added 1400 vertical to Morse's current 1000.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    IIRC Wilcat had a plan in the 90s I believe to expand into the Thompson brook basin. I remember seeing the map with a lift going to the top of peak B or C and would have raised the vertical in the process. Don't know if they ever received the National Forest approval.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    obienick said:

None taken. All good, but am looking for up, not sideways.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I remember seeing a map of the proposed Bolton expansion which went almost down to I-89. We were working on a hypothetical project for a class when Bob Fries was at Bolton and he showed us the map, which may have been from the 70s or early 80s. Anyone able to find a copy online?
    This long download has an original, or very early expansion map on page 64.  10 or  11 peaks at Bolton would be amazing.  Too bad it didn't happen

obienick said:

None taken. All good, but am looking for up, not sideways.
    Chuckstah said:

This long download has an original, or very early expansion map on page 64.  10 or  11 peaks at Bolton would be amazing.  Too bad it didn't happen

That would have been amazing...Like P Pass, expanding vertical by going downhill.
    Chuckstah said:

hey that's really cool, thanks for the link!
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Dorset Hollow, Vt. Developers in the 1980s were said to be planning a very big ski area and resort with a 3,000-foot vertical, a couple of chairs, maybe a tram, a golf course and lots of other stuff. Strong local opposition caused the proposed developers to drop those plans.

Bill29 said:

Dorset Hollow, Vt. Developers in the 1980s were said to be planning a very big ski area and resort with a 3,000-foot vertical, a couple of chairs, maybe a tram, a golf course and lots of other stuff. Strong local opposition caused the proposed developers to drop those plans.

Great project, but not an expansion of an existing area. Looking for places that went up in a major increase in vertical drop, a la Berkshire Snow Basin (increased vert by 80-some percent).

I'll make a summary at some point, but keep 'em coming
  • zapadazapada novice
    For many years, Brodie had a North Chair (name?) expansion shown on their trail map that would have increased vertical from 1250' to 1500' or 1600'. I believe that they had a used triple chair purchased and in storage, but nothing more was ever done with that project.

As for Ascutney, in their later years they could barely afford the electricity to run the more powerful motor on the detachable quad and they often ran the triple in its place midweek. I interviewed for a job in operations there a little more than a decade ago and the interviewer said it was great that it barely snowed there because you didn't have to worry about shoveling. Bizarre to say the least!

Finally, here's a color version of the Bolton Valley expansion map. The large original was in the Ski Patrol's lunch room as of a couple years ago. 
    IMG_3222.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 608K
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    edited November 30 Posts: 104
    There was a Great Gorge build out picture that included a tram connection to the Playboy Club. Great Gorge North had 5-6 lifts, a boat load of trails and a ski jump arena.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

What that Bolton layout needs is a base-to-summit gondola.

Looking at the topo, the only place Brodie could have got 1500 vertical feet is on the west face - super steep at the top!

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited December 1 Posts: 582
    Yes the "future" triple chair at Brodie was not going to increase vertical substantially if at all - it was going to be north of Tipperary. We heard the rumors for years, even that the lift was purchased and in storage, etc. They never had the money or the permits to do such a thing. Miss Brodie every day.