Abandoned Lifts at Operating Resorts

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,056
I now this is more common out west, but what operating ski areas in the East (or Midwest) have lifts which are completely intact, but do not run?

I can start with the Thompson Double at Squaw, the double at Eaton, the Sunrise Double at Ascutney, and the Duckling Double at Sunapee.

Does anyone know if the J-bar at Black or the T-bar at Hermon ever operate anymore?
- Sam

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    t-bar at Oak is intact, but has not run in at least a season or two.

old FG summit chair at Burke has been idle since the HSQ went in a couple of years back.
    The remaining t-bar at Song Mt had its T’s removed many, many years ago and has been idle since. No clue when Lab ran it’s sole t-bar. At Snow Ridge the south peak t-bar still stands but was decommissioned a long time ago.

IBRAKE
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Duckling ran this past year at Sunapee.

JBar at Black NH is currently inoperable.

Another thread with partially intact/removed lifts at operating areas would be cool too.
  • edited November 24 Posts: 2,056
    newpylong said:

Duckling ran this past year at Sunapee.

JBar at Black NH is currently inoperable.

Another thread with partially intact/removed lifts at operating areas would be cool too.

Oh, I didn't know that about the Duckling. Last I heard it was to be removed. That's good news though, because it's a beautiful old Roebling.

What is the issue with the J-bar?
    - Sam
    edited November 24 Posts: 582
    It will be removed in their long term master plan.
    Does the Village Green Double at Ragged run anymore? I don't think I've been on it since 2014.
    - Sam
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Has anybody seen Top Notch Double at Attitash run in the last few years?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Does the Village Green Double at Ragged run anymore? I don't think I've been on it since 2014.

I was told by one of my old Ragged buddies that it was removed last summer.
  • edited November 25 Posts: 2,056

I was told by one of my old Ragged buddies that it was removed last summer.

I think you might be right, it's gone from the new trail map.
    - Sam
    Removed a few months ago.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Ooo good one, NELSAP. I have never seen the double run but I've never skied on the busiest of days.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Does the Toll House double run at Stowe? I can't say i have seen it run, but ave not been that way in a while
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Mont Sauvage in Quebec has a still standing T-bar that is mostly intact, parallel to their other T-bar:

Zoneski info

NELSAP said:

Mont Sauvage in Quebec has a still standing T-bar that is mostly intact, parallel to their other T-bar:

Zoneski info

The unused t-bar sure looks like a Hall. Is the other one a Poma or a Samson build?
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I'm not positive - but hoping to ski it in January. Lots of trip reports that week! I wonder how many operating T-bars are directly parallel an abandoned one....

NELSAP said:

Zoneski info

The unused t-bar sure looks like a Hall. Is the other one a Poma or a Samson build?

Looks like Poma to me
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited November 27 Posts: 971
    If you zoom in, that's definitely two wheels on the lower side of the sheaves.  The sheaves look "big" like on a Poma because older Hall T-Bars had 2+1 compression assemblies.

It is my understanding that early on ski areas were responsible for their own survey work and often they weren't done well.  Hall designed lifts to fit not well-executed surveys.  The cruciform towers have the ability to raise/lower the cross-arms. And these compression assemblies allow the rope to change direction in either way.

I'm putting in a vote for a Hall T-Bar.
    obienick said:

If you zoom in, that's definitely two wheels on the lower side of the sheaves.  The sheaves look "big" like on a Poma because older Hall T-Bars had 2+1 compression assemblies.

It is my understanding that early on ski areas were responsible for their own survey work and often they weren't done well.  Hall designed lifts to fit not well-executed surveys.  The cruciform towers have the ability to raise/lower the cross-arms. And these compression assemblies allow the rope to change direction in either way.

I'm putting in a vote for a Hall T-Bar.

Compare it with the Poma T-bar at Titcomb (http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=375). All of the Hall T-bar cross-arms that I've ever seen look like the abandoned lift in that image.
    - Sam
    Someone needs to invent pics of a Samson t-bar. Back when that liftapalooza was still at Le Relais I’m waffling on whether t-bar with the telescoping masts next to that gorgeous Mueller t-bar was a Samson or a Poma install. This is not to be confused with the pomalift right of the old Mueller double chair.

IBRAKE
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    So the abandoned Mont Sauvage T-bar is indeed a Hall, 1957-1997, RIP. 

The good folks over at Remontees-Mecaniques have a report on it: