Ambitious Personal Skiing Goals for 2017-2018

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 216
Who has some ambitious skiing goals for this coming season? This could be anything, from gaining new skills, skiing more days, trying a lot of new areas, etc.

For me - I'm going to attempt to ski at a dozen ski areas I have not skied before. In January, for my 40th birthday, we are going to shoot for at least 8 new ski areas in 8 days - all in the Laurentians. As many are very affordable and flexible hours, I don't need to ski from 9-4pm for 8 days, which is a lot. Some days we may just do 4-5 hours. Or, maybe even ski 2 areas in one day. I'll be looking to hit up some New England areas I have yet to check out - though that last is thin. Areas like Eustis, Granite Gorge, the new Ascutney, etc. Also to hit up more XC areas to add to the list.

So what are yours?

Comments

Mine are to ski Michigan in January with Ciscokid: among other things there’s a floating bullwheel Poma double chair with my name on it at Nubs Nob. Also want to ski Belleayre and ride their new gondola (never skied in the Catskills) and squeeze in a New Hampshire trip to Ski Whaleback and Tenney.

IBRAKE
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    I called Mr Bartlett GM at Nubs and told him he has to run the floater cause the infamous or famous Ibrake4tbars is coming.( Ted Reilly will be there too and he's a man of his word)

My personal goals are to do a week long trip in Feb in the UP using my white gold pass. Besides Bohemia, Marquette mtn, maybe a night at Ripley, Whitecap , Indianhead , Bi Powderhorn/Blackjack, Brule.

I could invite myself to NH and stay w my brother and round trip air $188 and ski w a few of you fine folk but the UP has been on my bucket list.( next to Alaska of course)
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    ciscokid said:

I called Mr Bartlett GM at Nubs and told him he has to run the floater cause the infamous or famous Ibrake4tbars is coming.( Ted Reilly will be there too and he's a man of his word)

I will be at Boyne for sure. Not sure about Nubs the next day. That might be a Serchmont day

• JimKJimK advanced
    Got MCP, will travel.  
    Hope to get to some new-to-me places in Northern Rockies and Western Canada.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    edited November 26 Posts: 357
    Two goals-- spouse's health dependent-- 

ski all the areas in Vermont I have not laid tracks on yet. Next year do all Vermont areas in one season. 

2nd goal-- spend night at Peek-n-Peak-- ski every run there, drive to Cockaigne, (assuming it's open), ski every run there, and finish at Holiday Valley and ski every run there in the same day. With night skiing I should be able to do it. 

Finish off afterwards with some runs at Emery Park to ride a T-bar again. 

Edit-- a snippit from a Buffalo Business Journal says that Cockaigne is planning on a 2018 opening so I would have to do PeeknPeak, HV and then Kissing Bridge
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Getting in as many days as possible as this is probably my last season of skiing. The MS like illness has made my leg strength much worse this fall.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• JimKJimK advanced
    edited November 26 Posts: 232
    sugarloaf said:

Getting in as many days as possible as this is probably my last season of skiing. The MS like illness has made my leg strength much worse this fall.

Best wishes with this and I hope your prediction is off by about a decade.  Your situation puts things in a deeper perspective.  The day to hang 'em up will come for all of us.  What else do you enjoy for kicks? 
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Falling and dislocating my shoulder in April at Mount Snow put a damper on skiing this year. It's took six months to recover as I need my arm to help balance myself while walking. Ive been out twice this year, but the fear of falling again makes it not as enjoyable as it used to be.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ceoceo intermediate
    Get my younger son on skis and my older one back on them. And if this is successful, get in some grownup skiing too. :-)
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    sugarloaf said:

Falling and dislocating my shoulder in April at Mount Snow put a damper on skiing this year. It's took six months to recover as I need my arm to help balance myself while walking. Ive been out twice this year, but the fear of falling again makes it not as enjoyable as it used to be.

I hate to hear when people "age out" of skiing.  I'm no spring chicken, but the various individuals to whom I've spoken who continue to enjoy skiing in their 80s and 90s tell me:
    1. Don't get injured; it takes much longer to heal
    2. In order to accomplish 1, one must avoid moguls, steeps and even chop.
    3. Select days carefully
    4. Get out early when the corduroy is at its best
    and
    5. Enjoy the view!
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    60+ days and 1,000,000 vertical feet...

Goal #1, barring injury and/or a REALLY early Spring, should be reasonably attainable

Goal #2, being a racer parent with both kids in the same age group this year, will be more difficult, as the last time both of my kids were in the same age group 2 years ago, I was lucky to get 10k vertical feet in on race days
    I'm hoping for at least 70 days on snow this season and also to ski Tenney.
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Thanks for the advice, Joshua. I'm still as fit as ever at 66 but getting more and more cautious. I haven't fallen in my last 6 days out.

Just an outside chance that I'll visit my daughter in Vancouver this winter, and ski Whistler!

• jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    My annual goal is 10 new ski areas.  Planning a Central/Western NY road trip with my kids that should hopefully take care of a bunch of that.  Luckily you can tell 6 year olds were going to ski out west and they probably don't know the difference between Western NY and Utah.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited November 28 Posts: 232
    mapnut said:

Thanks for the advice, Joshua. I'm still as fit as ever at 66 but getting more and more cautious. I haven't fallen in my last 6 days out.

Just an outside chance that I'll visit my daughter in Vancouver this winter, and ski Whistler!

===============================

Here is a report from my visit to Whistler March 2017.  I had trouble seeing it all in four ski days.  Allow as much time as you can.  It's huge:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1520

Whistler is the only altitude I think this flatlander would be able to handle.
    Although I would venture a outing at the Canadian Rockies areas as well

Far from fit here but don't remember the last time I fell, too doggone long way down
    IMG_3017.JPG
    500 x 367 - 62K
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Thanks for the report, JimK! If I get to Whistler, skiing it all is not going to be on my plate - especially not the high expert bowls! My goal will be to enjoy some 2,000-vertical-foot cruisers and not get lost.

• Spunkyskier01Spunkyskier01 intermediate
    My goals are to at least ski a western resort every season. And the ambitious goal will be skiing more than 20 days a season, turns out working at a ski area at night makes it fairly difficult to ski.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I hope to get back on skis this season. I didn't make it last season (new hip). I hope to get into skiing shape by January. I'm no kid  (88 last Sunday) but I'm working at it. I'm told that 60 is the new 50 and 50 is the new 40. I understand 88 is the new 87, so I'm optimistic.

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Bill29- hope to see you out there! Maybe we can have another NELSAP day out at B-east.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I'd love to do it.
    Happy belated birthday Bill we love you man
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 29 Posts: 1,795
    1. To take at least one run - health dependent. It will be all downhill from there.
    2. Ski at Easton Ski Area or some semi-private ski area in New England.
    3. Collect my beer from Tedede. (He will probably tell you that's the most ambitious goal here. Espeically if he says I have to wait until next season.)
    4. Finally Ski Hunter.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    The Teardrop on Mt. Mansfield

Magic

• slathamslatham advanced
    40 days
    Double digits at Magic
    Killington, groomed superstar, so I can see just how poorly I ski vs. the WC women.
    Trip out West.
    First day ever in May?
    No injuries.
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    goals:   40+ days; injury-free (HAHAHA), 1 new area, and ride a glade I haven't yet at my regular resorts

I had several really great runs at Tenney last year when Mike groomed a couple top-to-bottom routes... I hope that's not my only shot at Tenney!!!  I took a couple nasty ass-over-teakettle falls on the trails on far skiers' right that weren't groomed but were a fun mix of flat and cliffy - snow was too heavy to turn in!!!
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    edited December 1 Posts: 369
    My goal as usual is to ski as early as possible, this season 11/11 but normally in October till late May or June if the snow last that long. No trips planned but I'm toying with a trip to the Andes in September we'll see how that goes.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Lotsoskiing-remind me to never follow you down a trail. Lol

Becca please try to stay out of the bushes this season. And is this the first we are hearing about your Tenney trip??
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    ski_it said:

Lotsoskiing-remind me to never follow you down a trail. Lol

Becca please try to stay out of the bushes this season. And is this the first we are hearing about your Tenney trip??

I am not sure I mentioned my Tenney Trips - went several times last winter -  quite the crowd at the top!!!!   I had never ridden there in its heydey so it was very fun!!!!   Rode WAY bigger than I was expecting.  HOWEVER, the flats were challenging to keep up speed on!!!!!    Imagine riding what was like a private resort with fresh grooming!!!!   (YAH - I burned a few calories skinning it)