Wives worrying( or other loved ones) about you skiing

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited November 30 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,582
Getting ready for work this morning my wife starts saying " I don't know if you should go to Bohemia this girl from work who was originally from the upper peninsula says it's really a hippy hangout with no grooming and all trees and all double diamonds

I said yea so, she says you can't do that can you?
I had to tell her I was to Jackson Hole twice
She said that was 17 years ago

Who's wife shows concern for your skiing?

Comments

• CannonballCannonball advanced
    My wife does.  I appreciate it.  And I have concern for her skiing (riding) too. We also are concerned about each other's work travel, highway driving, doctors appointments, and any other potentially risky activities.  It has never occurred to me that there wouldn't be that type of concern, or that it would be unwelcome. 
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Yeah I guess it's not that I was not ready for her concern, it's just that she took interest and in the terrain and was discussing some details of Mount Bohemia with a fellow worker.
    Whenever I take the grandsons she always asks how they are doing and checks in with us sometimes during the day to make sure everything is going OK
    On the other hand as of right now this upper peninsula trip is solo so I guess it affords more concerned than if I was with someone.
    It is just that I have this white gold ski card burning a hole in my pocket and for number four nights of free lodging so to speak so this is my opportunity to check out the upper Peninsula ski areas that I've always wanted to check out.

So once again Ted Reilly is on a standby situation to go with so if there's any other Snow generalist that want to spend a week with Cisco kid you are more than welcome basically the lodging is free for four nights
  • mapnutmapnut expert

My wife worries about me falling asleep on the drive home, more than about getting hurt skiing. Several times she's gone with me just to drive.

Wow in three years when I go semi retirement my grandson will start driving and I can have him drive me home when I'm with with WHIPPED
    Map not you should almost be retired by now at age 66 want to take a week come out to the flatlands and ski with Cisco kid and then you'll see the upper Peninsula of Michigan
  • mapnutmapnut expert

I've driven by Marquette Mountain ski area in the UP in summer; it looked like fun. BUT, sorry to say with all the time in the world and hundreds of ski destinations to choose from . . .

(I'm not retiring just yet.)

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    My wife, when she's not skiing with me, does worry a bit about me injuring myself.  I will admit though that she worries far more about our kids crashing during a race and/or race training and hurting themselves than she does me  8-|

That may change a bit though as I took a hard fall about 50 feet in front of her last week, and that kind of spooked her a bit as I hadn't crashed that hard in probably 6 or 7 yrs, let alone done so right in front of her!! 
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited December 1 Posts: 232
    My wife and I have been happily married for 37.5 years.  She has long since accepted my ski nuttiness. She used to be a fair weather skier until quitting altogether about ten years ago.  Most of my big ski trips over the decades have been done without her.  I know she loves me, but I never get the impression she is overly worried about me on my trips.  She likes that I ski a lot with my adult son who can look out for me and vice versa.  I am not a big cell phone person and only started carrying a flip phone in last five years and still don't use it much.  I think I am going to get a cheap smart phone for Christmas, which might change things.  I stay in contact better over the last ten years, but there were a dozen one-week ski trips before that when I would have no contact with my wife until I returned.  I behave like a ski-monk on my unaccompanied ski trips and my wife and I have a good trust factor.  I am trying to bring her along more often on big trips now that I am semi-retired and going to interesting places for non-skiers.  We may spend three weeks together out west this spring ski season.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    That's how I got into teaching.  Not so much my wife's worries, but my own.  My wife didn't ski; most of my peers were transitioning to condos and not up for day trips.  I hoped teaching would provide me a peer group who could bail me out and take me home if an emergency arose.

It turned out that I liked teaching (and this is my 40th season of doing so) and I never have had an emergency that required anyone helping me home.
    edited December 3 Posts: 1,582
    Never had a "peer" group, everyone always looked up to me⛷⛷⛷
    mapnut said:

I've driven by Marquette Mountain ski area in the UP in summer; it looked like fun. BUT, sorry to say with all the time in the world and hundreds of ski destinations to choose from . . .

(I'm not retiring just yet.)

I've driven by Bohemia in the fall BUT sorry to say never SKIED it
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ciscokid said:

Never had a "peer" group, every always looked up to me⛷⛷⛷

Ah, a tall story!

ciscokid said:

Never had a "peer" group, every always looked up to me⛷⛷⛷

Ah, a tall story!
    Yes I'll never forget seeing Joshua in ski or skiing magazine when I subscribed as a instructor of the year