Ski areas' marijuana policies

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 216
This is something new - ski areas with marijuana policies. I just noticed that on Jiminy's page, they do have one:

I wonder how many other ski areas have this. Needless to say, using the drug at the ski area is not allowed.

Jeremy

Comments

Thank goodness, we don't have to worry about that in NH yet.
    - Sam
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    With gov't leases and insurance policies they can't allow it.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I suspect there is a difference between stating a policy and enforcing a policy. I don't think any ski areas allow littering, but nobody is throwing litterers off the hills.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 3 Posts: 1,582
    Nor drunken skiers, nor how many other druggies

Haven't done thc since college seventies days when $5 got you a quarter I believe. Of course ski tickets were $5 too.

How about Colorado and all the other legal up in smoke states?

What about medical marijuana?
  • newmannewman advanced
    If someone tried to throw me out for smoking a cigarette, it would be the second time I left the slopes in a cop car.
  • obienickobienick expert
    A-Basin explicity bans it as well. GM Al had a post on his blog about it after legalization there.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    A-Basin explicity bans it as well. GM Al had a post on his blog about it after legalization there.
    http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2013/10/marijuana.html
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I've caught some skiers smoking-- unfortunately on sweep. Made for a very long run shepherding them off of the mountain. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    bmwskier said:

I've caught some skiers smoking-- unfortunately on sweep. Made for a very long run shepherding them off of the mountain. 

A friend of mine reported getting caught by patrol coming out of a closed trail.  The patroller was hostile expecting to pull their tickets, "What are you doing on a closed trail?" The friend replied, "We just hiked up off the main trail to smoke a joint."  The patroller responded, "OK.  Have a nice day." and he skied off.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    newman said:

If someone tried to throw me out for smoking a cigarette, it would be the second time I left the slopes in a cop car.

OK, I'll bite.

What was the reason for the first time?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • newmannewman advanced
    I had an altercation with ski patrol at Camelback. He got on the radio as i skied away. A town cop was waiting at the lift. He put me and my skis in his SUV cruiser. I got a chance to find my friend to get me off the property. He wasn't to happy with me either. He was in a group lesson and had to return his rentals. I didn't win that one, for sure.
    Pot I can handle as a patroller. When I was doing night patrolling in my youth I had to deal with more than one high schooler or college student who had too much to drink who got themselves in very dangerous situations that could've ended very, very badly. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I've had conversation with Ski Patrollers joking about "safety meetings" (time to get high), and they have even mentioned their favorite locations for safety meetings. You have to think a large size of ski patrollers were/are ski bums and partook at one time in their life.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Many years ago, the U.S. Ski Writers held their annual meeting in the spring at Snowbird, during the national freestyle championship. The aerials were on a lower slope near the tram loading area, as I recall. The patio was loaded with spectators. It was a bright, warm, slightly breezy spring day. Every now and then a gentle breeze would waft across the patio and up the slope where I was standing. It smelled like a big grass fire which, in a way, I guess it was.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    bmwskier said:

Pot I can handle as a patroller. When I was doing night patrolling in my youth I had to deal with more than one high schooler or college student who had too much to drink who got themselves in very dangerous situations that could've ended very, very badly. 

This.. As long as every ski area has a bar at the lodge and often also at the top lodge any polices restricting marijuana seem foolish and overzealous.  If they cared about safety they would most definitely be concerned about alcohol consumption and not marijuana.
    mtsnow123 said:

I've had conversation with Ski Patrollers joking about "safety meetings" (time to get high), and they have even mentioned their favorite locations for safety meetings. You have to think a large size of ski patrollers were/are ski bums and partook at one time in their life.

Not at my area. We have a zero tolerance policy for that kind of stuff. Most of us have been patrolling for a very long time and take what we do very seriously. Risk management is very hard core with us-- and for good reasons. Our VP for Operations is a former Patrol Director and we have many certified patrollers on staff as well as docs and EMT's/Paramedics. Most of us have seen enough wrecks to not mess around with drugs. 

On the flip side, I've been to refreshers where that IS the vibe and quite frankly, it really bothered me. I've been a patroller since I was fifteen, had my first hard core trauma that year (compound lower leg) and understand in very real terms what can happen to the human body when it hits either the ground, a natural object or whatever at even low speeds-- enough that keeping my wits is more important than anything a drug can bring me. I could tell that they've never had a real hard accident to work with-- and they've admitted it because their skier traffic wasn't that high. I could never work at such an area. Being a medic is too important to mess around. 

OK, off soap box, thank you. I think praticing CPR in a sled this weekend after a couple of us have done it for real and shared the experience drove home what is possible. 
    Greg Stump
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    I only notice pot when I'm riding behind them on the chairlift.   Doesn't bother me and I don't partake.   OF COURSE, since there are usually more skiers on whatever hill I'm on, there are more skiers smoking pot than snowboarders.   Without hijacking the thread, would there be any reason NOT to think that more skiers (proportionally) smoke pot?????

• CannonballCannonball advanced
    edited December 5 Posts: 146
    becca_m said:

I only notice pot when I'm riding behind them on the chairlift.   Doesn't bother me and I don't partake.   OF COURSE, since there are usually more skiers on whatever hill I'm on, there are more skiers smoking pot than snowboarders.   Without hijacking the thread, would there be any reason NOT to think that more skiers (proportionally) smoke pot?????

People are people. Some smoke pot, some don't. Some drink, some don't. Some smoke cigarettes, some don't. Some eat pork, some don't. Some watch sports, some don't. Some are cat people, some aren't. Some are dog people, some aren't. Some ski. Some snowboard. Some do both. Some do neither. No correlation between any of these personal preferences.

The only constant I've seen with snowboarders is that there doesn't seem to be as many out there. 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 5 Posts: 1,795
    becca_m said:

Absolutely! Snowboarders are from the DarkSide. ;)

It bothers me when I'm on the Bubble chair and they don't even ask if you mind if they smoke...or offer any. How about when a couple scruffy looking dudes hang back and don't load on the 6 pack bubble so they can ride alone? Ya think they want to be alone because they are on a date? I saw it happen 3 times last Sunday.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA