Arms Race Friendly Bet- Name 1st Ski Area to be at 100% open IN YOUR STATE

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited December 3 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,582
With the forecast by mid week to be well below freezing for the for seeable future I am betting on NUBS NOB to be at 100% by Saturday, December 16 with their firepower and lake effect.

I believe the forecast holds for most of the Midwest and Northeast so it should be a fair ball game.

What ski area in your state are you betting on having 100% of skiable acreage open and on what date?

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Ski Sundown - 12/25/17

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Wachusett or Nashoba by Christmas
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    ciscokid said:

With the forecast by mid week to be well below freezing for the for seeable future I am betting on NUBS NOB to be at 100% by Saturday, December 16 with their firepower and lake effect.

I believe the forecast holds for most of the Midwest and Northeast so it should be a fair ball game.

What ski area in your state are you betting on having 100% of skiable acreage open and on what date?

Vermont- Mad River Glen  Dec. 27  :D

Cochran's would be the easy guess as well, but I'm sticking to the bigger places
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Jiminy Peak
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    ski_it said:

Jiminy Peak

Date?

• pagamonypagamony advanced
    App Ski Mtn.  Dec 22.
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    ski_it said:

Jiminy Peak

Jiminy has natural snow trails, so I'd bet on Butternut 12/28
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

Jiminy Peak

Date?

12/21/2017
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    ciscokid said:

Seeing how Nubs Nob has 97% coverage of snow making are you meaning snow making trails or the whole ski area including natural trails also
    Hundred percent of all skiable acreage meaning put down the fake stuff and get some natural so it's all open
    ciscokid said:

Hundred percent of all skiable acreage meaning put down the fake stuff and get some natural so it's all open

ski_it said:

Jiminy Peak

If 100% natural and man made Jiminy Peak may not even get 100% open this year
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Well, considering I only have 3 areas in my state, I will go with Campgaw. 100% snowmaking and considering its size, 4 guns could blanket the entire hill. I will guess the day to be 12/22.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate
    In New York State, my guess would be Snow Ridge by 12/16/17...if the Lake Effect kicks in.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Treilly said:

ciscokid said:

Because Jiminy has a couple of unimproved liftline expert runs that are on the trail list but hardly ever open. There are other ski areas with trails like this - at some distant place and time somebody must have made a list . . .
  • newmannewman advanced
    JMaul said:

Well, considering I only have 3 areas in my state, I will go with Campgaw. 100% snowmaking and considering its size, 4 guns could blanket the entire hill. I will guess the day to be 12/22.

I don't think Campgaw was ever 100% open to what the map says any year they operated.

• ski_itski_it expert
    mapnut said:

Treilly said:

ciscokid said:

Because Jiminy has a couple of unimproved liftline expert runs that are on the trail list but hardly ever open. There are other ski areas with trails like this - at some distant place and time somebody must have made a list . . .
    No Mas! No Mas!  Just a WAG, I haven't been there in 15-20 years, & just trying to give them a little love. I would have picked Nashoba too but Sam took that one.  I may have to change mine to Mt ISNE 12/24 if this beating keeps up..  
    :)>-
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    NH: Kanc Rec center 12/23
    Let's post webcam evidence
    edited December 6 Posts: 141
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 9 Posts: 1,795
    With up to 8" forecasted around here I may be the winner with my 2nd selection. Wish me luck?
    I notice Jeremy didn't make a prediction

Ski_it I didn't make any hard fast rules of 1 or 2 predictions, so I guess on behalf of Ted Reilly I am forecasting as my(our) 2nd guess that CABERFAE is 100% also next Saturday the 16th
    edited December 9 Posts: 141
    ciscokid said:

I notice Jeremy didn't make a prediction

Ski_it I didn't make any hard fast rules of 1 or 2 predictions, so I guess on behalf of Ted Reilly I am forecasting as my(our) 2nd guess that CABERFAE is 100% also next Saturday the 16th

I hope you are right about Caberfae. I am going on the 17th. Although I thought the South Peak would have been open the week after 12/11 last year see the pic below

But the following week the South Peak still wasn’t open. Even though they had lots of snow on it
    A66292BB-CA26-487C-86F8-A70AA601DBF4.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 138K
    A80CA7B6-5752-48F1-80F1-DB9B28062AA4.jpeg
    1280 x 1140 - 513K
    Lots of natural only trails including backcountry http://caberfaepeaks.com/the-mountain/snow-report/
    edited December 9 Posts: 141
    ciscokid said:

In order for Caberfae to qualify I-75 will have to be open also. I have never seen it open and Jim saw it open once early in the morning he skied it twice and by noon it was closed
    For Michigan I am going to go with Southerast Mi and say Mt Holly by Tuesday the 12th
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    I think I will win this one for VT...If this storm shapes up, MRG will be wide open on weekend...just a hunch