What's the closest ski area to your house that you've never skied?

jaytremjaytrem intermediate
edited December 4 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 74
For me it's Victor Constant at West Point, 65.7 mile drive.  Hopefully get there this year.  Often see the lights while I'm heading to Bear Mountain bridge from the Taconic.

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Yawgoo Valley, R.I. I'm guessing it's about 60 miles from Dudley, MA, but less than that by crow.
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    When I lived in NY it was Hunter Mtn (39 Miles) to be fair I moved when I was 14 and couldn’t drive myself there.
    In Michigan Pine Knob 45 Miles
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    That's a great question. If it is a public area, I believe it is Arrowhead, NH at 103 miles away.
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    The Onmi Homestead, about 8 hours away.
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    Mountain Creek,  82 miles.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Also Victor Constant for me at 31 miles as the crow flies, with Thunder Ridge the closest public area at 32 miles. Woodbury third at 42 miles. Constant would seem to be the only one with interesting terrain.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Constant would seem to be the only one with interesting terrain.</blockquote

I tried Thunder Ridge once. I liked it enough to try it again when it got 100% open (big storm). It is a strange layout built out of an upper and lower ridge. Sort of two peaks, if you want to say it that way. Some cool expert terrain. Varied from wide to chutes to twisters that could rival stuff in New England, but much, much shorter. No blues to really speak of. Green route from the top of both ridges. Not an enjoyable run for cruising, but beginner friendly. One area to put on a bucket list if you need to. Skis much bigger than it is. Especially for advanced skiers. When its fully open.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Spring Mountain in PA. 90 miles.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Cochrans (if you want to count it) is 25 minutes from my house, as well as Har'dack in Saint Albans. I haven't skied Mad River Glen either (50 minutes), but that is a technicality as I snowboard. 

Otherwise without size or technicalities, I would say Jay Peak. It's 1.5 hours from my house. 
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    Ski Ward in Shrewsbury, MA for me, 34 miles.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    Victor Constant   29 miles
    Holiday Mountain, Monticello, NY  70 miles
    Woodbury  79
    Mohawk     90
    Catamount 115

• spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate
    Mount Graylock Ski Club: 60 miles.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Kancamagus Recreation Area Ski Hill. 0.8 miles, can see it from my bedroom window.  I've walked up many times in the non-winter, but I've never used the rope-tow or slid down it. 
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Ski Ward at 38 miles for me, with Blue Hills at 51 miles in 2nd
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    McIntyre Ski Area       21 miles
    Abenaki    53 miles
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Granite Gorge at 93 miles. I have not been to Mt Greylock, but that's private.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Cazenovia Ski Club, never knew it existed until a few years ago. I'm not sure if its open to the general public, which has been a detractor of me going to investigate. They would do well to open to the public in my eyes. Their membership is very reasonable being $340 for two family members. 16.5 Miles

Caz Ski Club 

~Rich~
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    Wolf Laurel, now Wolf Ridge,  232 mi, 3'56'' according to Google.  Nice location, but spotty operations.  
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Gateway Hills, Nashua, NH - about 30 miles away
    or maybe Blackwater: Similar distance but not a public area.
    Nashoba Valley and Gateway Hills are both about 40 minutes away and I've never been to either.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 4 Posts: 1,795

Interesting question. Looks like Thunder Ridge at 163 miles beats out Willard by 11 miles. Newman's description above is probably the most I've heard about Thunder Ridge ever.  

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Just looked up distances, Been to both but net skied. Swiss Valley Jones Mi( the place Joe Montana skied) 100 miles dead nuts and SNOWSNAKE Harrison same distance
    Hope to crossSS off the list this year
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    ciscokid said:

Just looked up distances, Been to both but net skied. Swiss Valley Jones Mi( the place Joe Montana skied) 100 miles dead nuts and SNOWSNAKE Harrison same distance

I have golfed at Snow Snake never skied there. Not sure it would be worth the gas to drive there. Not much to the Ski part
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    Interesting question!  For me, Cranmore, SkiBlandford, and Killington are all around 125 miles away and never been!!!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Treilly said:

ciscokid said:

I have golfed at Snow Snake never skied there. Not sure it would be worth the gas to drive there. Not much to the Ski part
    Don't think I would drive to golf but on way to Hanson Hills and Gaylord
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Cochran's-- about 30 miles. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    For me, growing up in Syracuse, they would have been:
    Camillus Ski Hill
    Cazenovia Ski Club
    Four Seasons
    Ironwood Ridge RIP :((
    Intermont RIP :((
    Mystic Mountain RIP :((
    Greek Peak
    Bobcat RIP :((
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Camp Gaw (as a kid): 6 miles

Now: not counting private places: Hard'Ack  55 mi.
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    I'm almost exactly between Cochran's and Northeast Slopes
  • catamount82catamount82 novice
    Now closed Tuxedo Ridge, aka Sterling Forest...probably less than 20 miles from my doorstep.