What's the closest ski area to your house that you've never skied?

Comments

• Spunkyskier01Spunkyskier01 intermediate
    Willard, 18 miles when I lived in New York, 35 currently from Londonderry VT
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    closest open area is Mt Peter in NY at a long, slow 29 miles

closest to get to is Campgaw NJ, at 34 miles highway driving

7.5 miles to Snow Bowl, 16 miles to Craigmeur, both now closed.  A couple of obscure, lost rope tows in the 10-15 mile range.

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Gateway Hills for me at under 10 miles
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Smuggs - 44 miles
    Pico - 53 miles
  • JonniJonni intermediate
    I would say that it's probably Cochran's at 35 miles, with Stowe as #2 being about 53 miles away. It'd be closer if I could go through the notch, but if you've been through the notch you know why that's not possible...
  • podunk77podunk77 intermediate
    edited December 6 Posts: 28
    I'm less than 15 minutes from Bradford and 25 from Nashoba, but haven't skied either due to their small size.
    I should also add:

Val Bialis
    Ski Innsbruck RIP :((
    Shumaker Mt RIP :((
    Oak Mt
    Brantling Ski Slopes
    Anderland RIP :((
    Snow Ridge
    Dry Hill
    Frost Ridge RIP :((
    Swain
    Bristol
    McCauley Mt

IBRAKE
  • thebigothebigo novice
    Great topic, McIntyre, roughly 30 miles from home
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Some surprising answers and distances. From 0.8 miles to 480 miles (8 hrs).
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    ski_it said:

Some surprising answers and distances. From 0.8 miles to 480 miles (8 hrs).

I guess I'm kinda winning/losing this with the 0.8 answer. I'm making it a serious goal to check off skiing my local area. There's really no excuse.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 7 Posts: 1,795
    Oh don't be so hard on yourself, you've always got that little place across the street to hit first. Besides I see a few other people we could really bust if we wanted to be mean...
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    Bosquet in Pittsfield, MA about 20 miles
    "I need a powder day"
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    edited December 7 Posts: 58
    West Point (VC) 30 miles and Woodbury 43 miles as per google maps. 
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited December 7 Posts: 850
    You must be my neighbor, Skirick? (Cos Cob, CT) Or maybe 40 miles north-northwest.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 7 Posts: 1,795
    Oh no! For those of us who posted 2 or more distances, now Mapnut knows where we live! ;)) Ok one of two possibles if we gave only 2
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    Otis at 40 mi, Willard at 44 mi. 

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    If I get back to WNY this winter my plan is to hit Peak n Peek and Emery Park T-Bar. That one was less than a half mile away from me for six years and I never hit it. Too busy with dorm duty I guess... 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    edited December 7 Posts: 108
    29mi to Gateway Hills for me.
    2nd place to Granite Gorge at 47mi
    3rd place for Arrowhead in Claremont @53mi
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    mapnut said:

You must be my neighbor, Skirick? (Cos Cob, CT) Or maybe 40 miles north-northwest.

I saw that. Close, Bedford Hills, NY. But you measured as the crow flies so I figured you were a little further south.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    From here in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, it would be Nemacolin Woods, PA -- 114 miles.  After that, #2 would be Oglebay in WV or one of the Pocono Resorts I've missed (Shawnee probably).

From where I grew up in. Pittsfield, MA, it was (and remains) Osceola Park about 2 miles away.  Blandford Ski Area is next -- 27 miles.

Woody
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Right there with you Woody.  Never made it to Blanford either.
    Chuckstah said:

Gateway Hills for me at under 10 miles

Well, this thread, and today's new snow got me thinking that I need to ski Gateway.  Although I still have not been on the carpet, I went out this morning to earn a few turns.  Each of several runs was fresh tracks as there was no one else there save a couple kids sledding off to the side. Maybe 6 inches of new snow proved to be enough to not hit bottom, but too much powder for the low angle hill as turns were hard to come by.  I think it was about 50 feet vertical starting right at the road and skiing to the tree line at the bottom.  It was a fun hour of morning exercise at the very least.  Smallest hill I have  been to by far. 
    A couple pics...well one. The forum doesn't like my other pics.
    Anotherimage
    20171210_111030-1.jpg
    2016 x 1126 - 540K
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Cool Chuck
    Wow Betsy and Joni, 40-50 miles from Stowe and never skied
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    Echo Mountain, CO which is about 50 miles from home. 1 Lift and 3 or 4 trails- hard to make that treck when I can be at Loveland, Keystone or ABasin in about the same driving time... Now that I’m retired it might give me something to do one day!
    ciscokid said:

Cool Chuck
    Wow Betsy and Joni, 40-50 miles from Stowe and never skied

With what they charge, I probably wouldn't either
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    LiftGuy said:

Echo Mountain, CO which is about 50 miles from home. 1 Lift and 3 or 4 trails- hard to make that treck when I can be at Loveland, Keystone or ABasin in about the same driving time... Now that I’m retired it might give me something to do one day!

Might you be closer to this ski area?  Ruby Hill Rail Yard    Not presuming anything, just thinking a lot of people aren't familiar with this

• LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced

LiftGuy said:

Echo Mountain, CO which is about 50 miles from home. 1 Lift and 3 or 4 trails- hard to make that treck when I can be at Loveland, Keystone or ABasin in about the same driving time... Now I’m going that I’m retired it might give me something to do one day!

Might you be closer to this ski area?  Ruby Hill Rail Yard    Not presuming anything, just thinking a lot of people aren't familiar with this

I’ve heard of it...occasionally. No uphill transportation, guns brought down from Winter Park when needed, not really a ‘ski area’. But you made me look- 26 miles away
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Closest private area, not including family hills, to me is Easton, MA at 97 miles.