To the Snowjournal brain trust- can you help identify this area? Craig
Robertson is trying to figure out where it is. It may be lost or open,
and it may be US or eastern Canada. Let me know if you can figure it
out, thanks!
thumbnail.jpg
1136 x 640 - 61K

Comments

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    I think the lift line is going to be the biggest clue, it almost looks like some type of conveyor lift, mountain slide or even a large snow making pipe, if you can see what im pointing at. 
    ~Rich~
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    is Mr. Robertson sure that it is definitely North America, northeast?    The trails look it, but the buildings -- not so much
    Yeah having the town run up the right side of the mountain looks somewhat European to me. I have looked all over Quebec and have found nothing similar. 
    ~Rich~
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I am wondering if it is Mont Olympia, Quebec
    olympia.jpg
    1046 x 888 - 491K
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NELSAP said:

I am wondering if it is Mont Olympia, Quebec

I think you are right. If you moved left and angled camera about 15 degrees to right you'd have the same view as the above pic.

001.jpg
    280 x 187 - 36K
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Yup, on the aerial maps all those houses are there, and the golf course. The photo looked like it would be a bigger-vertical mountain.
    edited December 5 Posts: 268
    Nice find Jeremy. That's definitely the layout. Its amazing on Google Maps there are at least a dozen other ski resorts all in the same valley. 
    ~Rich~
    mont olympia.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 143K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 6 Posts: 1,795
    JD how did you arrive at that guesstimate in the first place?
    ADK thanks for driving by!
    Any luck on the other one that SJers were saying Sugarbush for?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Hi Ski_it...so in anticipation for my 40th birthday ski trip to the Laurentians in January, I've been studying up on all of those 18 ski areas within an hour of Saint Sauveur. I'm trying to hit 8 ski areas in 8 days without going broke and without becoming too tired. Olympia is on the potential list, and it looked familiar the more I looked at the original photo. It's like taking a crash course on learning about a new ski region.

I really can't wait to get up there and ski these places...I have skied in the Eastern Townships before at Owl's Head, Bromont, and the lost Mt. Joye. But never north of Montreal. It's actually about as far for me to drive there (timewise) as it is to visit my parents in eastern MA. Most of these ski areas are the perfect size for a full day of skiing..one can really get to know the area without getting bored,and then try another the next day.
  • KayakerKayaker novice
    I hope Mont Gabriel is on your list.  That's where I learned to ski.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Gabriel is on the backup list at this point...it's one I want to hit but I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time. But maybe one night I will get to go for a few hours.  I may do this trip again a year later to finish up the ones I missed. Here's my likely list by day:

1. Mont Avalanche
    2. La Reserve
    3. Tremblant
    4. Saint Sauveur/Avila
    5. Mont Garceau
    6. Vallee Bleue
    7. Mont Olympia (or Morin-Heights)
    8. Mont Sauvage or Habitant
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 7 Posts: 1,795
    Yep I knew about your planned trip. Sounds tres cool. But didn't figure you knew the places by sight. I should know better! I've only skied Orford & Tremblant multiple times and Grey Rocks once now CLSAP. I would like to go back up sometime so I'm waiting for your TRs
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    NELSAP said:

Gabriel is on the backup list at this point...it's one I want to hit but I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time. But maybe one night I will get to go for a few hours.  I may do this trip again a year later to finish up the ones I missed. Here's my likely list by day:

1. Mont Avalanche
    2. La Reserve
    3. Tremblant
    4. Saint Sauveur/Avila
    5. Mont Garceau
    6. Vallee Bleue
    7. Mont Olympia (or Morin-Heights)
    8. Mont Sauvage or Habitant
    Remember K beck

Looking forward to reports, good snowmaking at these areas?