Birdland Chair to be Replaced

Mad Riber Glen has announced as part of their capital campaign that the Birdland Chair will be replaced with a newer used chairlift. It looks like we will soon be saying goodbye to another lattice tower lift. :(

https://www.preservemadriver.com/mountain-preservation/
- Sam

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    Any rumors on what will replace it? Willoughby Quad? The doubles from Stowe?

How many lattice chairs will we be down to now? I can think of:

* North Star Double, Big Rock
    * Top Flight Quad, Ski Butternut
    * Single, Mad River Glen
    * Ego Alley, Mt. Snow
    * Triple, Ski Ward

obienick said:

* Single, Mad River Glen
    * Ego Alley, Mt. Snow
    * Triple, Ski Ward

Eclipse at Tenney, Summit Double at Black, NH, Valley Double at Pat's Peak

We lost three over the summer this year :(
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    Bousquet
  • newmannewman advanced
    Beech NC
  • newmannewman advanced
    Black NH
  • newmannewman advanced
    The lattice towers at Ward a cut 2/3 up and the top section is round Partec tower. Does that make them frankentowers?
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    obienick said:

* Single, Mad River Glen
    * Ego Alley, Mt. Snow
    * Triple, Ski Ward

Maybe Village Double from just down the road?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,344

obienick said:

* Single, Mad River Glen
    * Ego Alley, Mt. Snow
    * Triple, Ski Ward

Maybe Village Double from just down the road?

Doubt it, that lift is even older
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I'm surprised it needs replacing.  I doubt they use it  more than 10 to 20 days per season!
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

I'm surprised it needs replacing.  I doubt they use it  more than 10 to 20 days per season!

I agree. It probably has less running hours on it than lifts that are 20 years younger
    What make is the Birdland double? Mueller? Städeli? C/S?
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    This pic is from closing weekend last April. The chair wasn't running. I'll miss it when it's replaced. image
    20170402_125828.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 377K
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Mueller lift with Borvig chairs looks like.
  • obienickobienick expert
    IIRC one of the two lifts that came out had a Poma drive terminal. But they had old towers and line gear.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Good thing it wasn't running, people would fall out.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Not if they had the safety bar down.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Just spoke with Eric Friedman, Marketing Director @ Mad River - there are no immediate plans for its replacement or a specific used chair in mind to replace it. So you should all have time to check it out for the next few years.

As a side note, I would expect many of these 50+ year old lifts at various ski areas to be replaced in the next 5-10 years. Even with good maintenance and upgrades, lifts only have a finite lifespan. Although, I am a huge fan of any lattice tower lift!
  • newmannewman advanced
    Outpost at Pico
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 312

I believe it runs every weekend Christmas through February holiday (conditions permitting) plus during all holiday periods. Definitely more than 20 days per season except in the worst of years. It is a pretty old lift. 

Though most MRG skiers don't realize it, the Birdland and Practice Slope chairs are absolutely vital to MRG's sustainability. It is a family mountain and without a place for kids to ski and learn, the mountain wouldn't be sustainable. MRG families would have to get passes somewhere else if youth programs and easier terrain were not available for the kids.

I am familiar with the Campaign and heard information about it prior to the launch but I wasn't aware that the Birdland Double was part of the campaign. This is obviously not happening anytime soon so the title of the thread is a bit misleading. There are a lot of other parts of the mountain that need fixing prior to a lift that still has a bit of life left in it. And of course, the replacement is entirely dependent on the success of the capital campaign.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    mapnut said:

Good thing it wasn't running, people would fall out.

Good one!  If you click on the image it appears correctly, at least on my phone and laptop.
    Speaking of old lifts, I wonder how (or from where) Killington finds parts for the Upper Snowden Poma, vintage 1958.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,127

Speaking of old lifts, I wonder how (or from where) Killington finds parts for the Upper Snowden Poma, vintage 1958.

Same model as Burke's that was just removed. Wonder if they got the parts from that one

Same model as Burke's that was just removed. Wonder if they got the parts from that

This is a screwy window. Anyway, sorry for making it messy...

They use parts from the Poma which is still partly standing at Pico.
    - Sam

Do you know that for sure or is that a guess?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    That is indeed what they do.

Giant Killer? That was a ride...
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

Boy that girl is as old as I am am looks great
    http://newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=69
    That Poma is a blast to ride. It’s very fast. Those crazy single sheaves look like bicycle wheels. The whole thing screams Vive Le France! ;))