ciscokidciscokid expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,875
Ten inches in Alabama, Texas even Mexico

Should be a few glaciers left in Alaska

Your take

Enjoy some fresh with trip reports

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    The weather extremes are a predicted symptom whether we are talking hurricanes in the summer or nor'easters in the winter.  The science is pretty solid.  Remember: when the cigarette companies owned Congress, they could always find some doctors to give an opposite point of view on their product and fund a few phony studies to promote their minority position as credible.  Now that the energy companies own Congress, the parallels are frightening.

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,875
    Will put Joshua, I would like to know more about this oil company business as we seem to have a czar here in Michigan that after a couple weeks seems to bump gas prices

They won't let it fall below $2.00 gallon then it goes up 20% and. Falls a penny or two a day down the 20% and then Jack's right back up 20% I sure would like to know who is in charge of that

I can drive down to the Indiana border and it is not affected and get into small little towns where it takes a couple or few days to reflect the big city prices prices
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Climate change isn't about single extreme outlier events. It is about the big picture and overall global average temperature increases. Snow and cold in Alabama, Texas, and Mexico during a single weather event no more disproves climate change science than single weather event freak heat waves prove climate science. They neither prove nor disprove anything as they are unrelated to what climate change is about. Using single weather events to back up your preconceived notions but not taking into account or caring to notice the events and data that disprove your position is a confirmation bias. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    riverc0il said:

Climate change isn't about single extreme outlier events. It is about the big picture and overall global average temperature increases. Snow and cold in Alabama, Texas, and Mexico during a single weather event no more disproves climate change science than single weather event freak heat waves prove climate science. They neither prove nor disprove anything as they are unrelated to what climate change is about. Using single weather events to back up your preconceived notions but not taking into account or caring to notice the events and data that disprove your position is a confirmation bias. 

Well said. The world is heating up. It's a bummer. Make every turn count and hope we still have winters we can enjoy doing what we love, near where many of us live.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

riverc0il said:

Well said. The world is heating up. It's a bummer. Make every turn count and hope we still have winters we can enjoy doing what we love, near where many of us live.
    Amen. I can only imagine the winters in 20+ years, and what my kids will be seeing in snow conditions in New England.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    This spring I had a big sugar maple just decide to turn brown and die. Granted it's a lot of firewood but it's also a warning about what's going to happen to these trees without a traditional winter. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    bmwskier said:

This spring I had a big sugar maple just decide to turn brown and die. Granted it's a lot of firewood but it's also a warning about what's going to happen to these trees without a traditional winter. 

The bugs that are heading north are also going to be a huge issue with maples very soon...scary. 
  • obienickobienick expert
    Should also point out as temperatures increase, more water can be stored in the atmosphere which means there can be more snow.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 810
    Hintertux glacier this past August. A glacier needs 70% snowcover at the end of summertime melt season and its just not there. This is one of Europe's largest summer skiing areas.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    riverc0il said:

co-signed
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Whether or not someone agrees with the studies or the conclusions, or especially the "do as I say not as I do" private jet politicians and celebrities, it simply doesn't make sense to spew toxic junk into the atmosphere, water, ground, or anywhere else.  It's like littering, but usually worse.  It's just selfish, stupid, irresponsible, bad stewardship of the planet.

• ADKskierADKskier advanced

Whether or not someone agrees with the studies or the conclusions, or especially the "do as I say not as I do" private jet politicians and celebrities, it simply doesn't make sense to spew toxic junk into the atmosphere, water, ground, or anywhere else.  It's like littering, but usually worse.  It's just selfish, stupid, irresponsible, bad stewardship of the planet.

Exactly!
    ~Rich~