Wildcat 2017 - 2018

ski_itski_it expert
edited December 2017 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,886
21-26 degree light wind partly cloudy 13 runs 1 lift. $59 same as Bretton. 6" new snow powder on packed powder is the report but I'd call it packed powder on eastern hardpack. Bobcat was piles of ungroomed with giant whales and snowguns a blazing.
I found 20 ft of 8" untouched powder but it was pretty much all skied off by 10. Don't get me wrong there were some very nice areas and some areas of hardpack underneath that could be tricky. You expert skiers & racers were having fun, beginners & mature skiers not as much. Lots of uphill traffic too. Basically 3 routes down. Polecat, Lynx & Catapult/Bobcat. The wind picked up a little in the afternoon and so did the flurries. When they flatten the whales they could be sitting pretty when they pick up a little more snow.image
And for Cisco image
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
IMG_6729.JPG
1632 x 1224 - 756K
IMG_6732.JPG
1632 x 1224 - 677K

Comments

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Still on your trusty somewhat bullet proof Elan Magfires... Saving the new ones?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    I recognize that lodge!

You definitely have a longer ski to height ratio

I'm guessing your 6'?image
    IMG_0009.JPG
    3296 x 1854 - 373K
    Love that telecar historyimage
    IMG_3044.JPG
    696 x 870 - 188K
    I can't believe I am turning down an offer from my bro to stay Jan 6-13 in Ashland NH to ski the UP
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,886
    NELSBEER said:

Still on your trusty somewhat bullet proof Elan Magfires... Saving the new ones?

Yep, Mrs Ski It says they are for Christmas but if the conditions warrant it I'm breaking open the gift wrap.
    I'm a like a rock magnet anyway... I hadn't fallen (yet) in that pic, just powder & mostly sno-guns coated me good.
    After demoing now she wants a new pair too
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I remember seeing that gondola advertised by Wildcat back in the 80s. It gave the resort a sense of danger and adventure that modern detachable chairs just don’t really have. Same thing for Sugarbush and Sugarloaf.

A shame I never got to ride it. :(

Was it a three-person cabin?

IBRAKE
    That reminds me: anything left still spinning made by C&S?
    One of my favorite early sj2.0 threads with history of telecar, carlevaro, Poma, Miner Denver. Jean Pomagalski, Larry Jump and others

https://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/62/otsego-club-gaylord-michciscokid-where-was-i-what-kind-of-lift-is-this-5-26-15#latest
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,146

That reminds me: anything left still spinning made by C&S?

Yes, Summit Double at Bousquet, Snowdance Double at Nashoba, Outpost Double at Pico, Bonanza Double at Pico, parts of the Ego Alley Triple at Mount Snow, and Paddy Wagon Double at Butternut.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert

It was a tight 2 person gondi

Wildcat is celebrating 60 years of lift-serviced skiing this year. Join us Thursday, January 25 - Sunday, January 28 for a whole bunch of activities, events, lift ticket specials and birthday cake!

Limited numbers of online $19 tickets

EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
    More details to follow...

All Weekend Long, January 25 - 28
    -Wildcat Historical Memorabilia on Display
    -Original Gondola Photobooth
    -Birthday Cake Snow Sculpture

Thursday, January 25
    -Free 60th Birthday Cake in the Base Lodge
    -Apres Entertainment with White Steer, 1-4 p.m.

Friday, January 26
    Apres Entertainment with Ryan St. Onge, 1-4 p.m.

Saturday, January 27
    -Military Salute Weekend. Lift Ticket Specials for Service Members. More Info
    -Gondola "Ribbon Cutting" Ceremony before first Chair with Stan Judge, one of Wildcat's original GM's!
    -Radio BDC Drafters Promotion in Wildcat Pub. More Info
    -Fireworks Display
    -Historical Video Display
    -Wildcat History Themed Trivia
    -Kids Entertainment 

Sunday, January 28
    -Hair of the 'Cat Brunch

Hey ski it , you might win new Elan skis!
    https://www.skiwildcat.com/event/radiobdc-coorsltdrafters/

I was maybe 6 or 7. Don't remember if I rode w mom or dad or my big 11-12 yr old sis
    Do remember the colored egg cabins.

The 'bush cabins were 3 person, first rode it in Dec of '77
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,875
    Still think Polecat best green in world @2.75 miles and mt W views
  • obienickobienick expert
    I remember (even riding it as a kid) that it was tight.  The cabins also looked like they rolled down the hill a few times.
  • bruceolbruceol novice
    Those cabins where 2 man cabins..Very tight, very slow..and..cold..remember in the seventies as a kid riding that lift, and, as a kid from R.I. it was always a thrill to go there..IT IS STILL A THRILL TO GO THERE!!!!  LOVE THAT CAT !!!!!

• bruceolbruceol novice
    Love the un groomed natural snow trails at " THE CAT " !!!!!  Love the signs they put out around the mountain that say "un groomed".....LOVE "THE CAT"  !!!!!!

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 382
    My favorite in NH
    Welcome to Snowjournal Bruceol
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    bruceol said:

Those cabins where 2 man cabins..Very tight, very slow..and..cold..remember in the seventies as a kid riding that lift, and, as a kid from R.I. it was always a thrill to go there..IT IS STILL A THRILL TO GO THERE!!!!  LOVE THAT CAT !!!!!

Most who remember those gondola cabins wouldn't have omitted mentioning the overpowering urine smell in most of the cabins.  Disgusting!!!

bruceol said:

Most who remember those gondola cabins wouldn't have omitted mentioning the overpowering urine smell in most of the cabins.  Disgusting!!!
    That is utterly disgusting. The behaviour of some people... >:)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,886
    Remski said:

My favorite in NH
    Welcome to Snowjournal Bruceol

Meow, I luv the Cat too, purrrr
    Hope I didn't give the wrong meowpression
  • bruceolbruceol novice
    Thank you REMSKI !!!!!  The Wildcat Gondola cars may have smelled a little roach..however..they had character and the skiing was great !!!! Always a thrill to go skiing at the "CAT" !!!!!

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 3 Posts: 1,886
    12/30/2017 Saturday. Back in the saddle again! -9F base -6F summit at 8am. Packed powder 46 trails 18 groomed 4 lifts. Some woods, some moguls, not too much hardpack. Trails uncrowded, lodge really crowded. Sunny very light wind. It has warmed to 6F summit. Faint 360 sun halo. They advise u to work on your goggle tan. Skiing is pretty good although I'm trying not to ruin my Christmas skis on their first day. Here we are at the 3999 ft level.image
    IMG_6760.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 928K
    Hey there's Mrs Ski!
    Love the backdrop
  • ski_itski_it expert
    And both Mrs Ski_it Jrs were there too