Woodbury Closed Indefintely

Woodbury Ski Area Updates Status to Permanently Closed

The Connecticut ski area did not operate last winter.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com

Woodbury Ski Area, December 12, 2017

Less than three months after plans emerged to reopen Woodbury, the ski area has updated its Facebook page to read "permanently closed." According to a spokesperson for the area, Woodbury is currently closed for the season while a buyer is sought.

Woodbury's history dates back to the early 1960s, when it was known as Tapawingo ski area. Former US Ski Team member Rod Taylor took over the ski area in 1972, renaming it Woodbury Ski and Racquet Club and improving it with a new chairlift and lodge.

As a hedge against poor winters, Taylor developed an off season business at the area, including zip lining, summer tubing, and a climbing wall. The area also developed a popular annual reggae festival.

After Rod Taylor's passing in 2014, his widow Carolyn kept the area open and promoted longtime employee Scott Damato to general manager. Investments in recent years included installing new snowmaking pumps, purchasing two modern Prinoth BR350 snow cats, and the homologation of a ski racing slope.

However, in the midst of a statewide drought, Woodbury was unable to open for the 2016-17 season, resulting in refunds being issued to season passholders.

In 2017, Carolyn Taylor decided to put the ski area up for sale. A comeback of sorts was mounted in September, when the area hosted the Viking Run and announced plans to reopen for the 2017-18 ski season while a buyer was sought. However, no additional news emerged, and in subsequent weeks, equipment appeared to be removed from the hill.

On December 2, Woodbury updated its Facebook hours to "Permanently Closed."

According to the Woodbury Town Tax Collector, the ski area has not changed hands. In addition, there are back taxes on the property dating back to July 2017.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=634
- Sam

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    This is an opportunity for one of the big players to take over a fully functional feeder area as an advertisement for its product line and major areas.

Its size is consistent with a Peak Resorts venture: Small day-trip area that could get the locals to Mt. Snow.  But other ownership groups in VT could also benefit from a satellite advertising platform in CT.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

This is an opportunity for one of the big players to take over a fully functional feeder area as an advertisement for its product line and major areas.

Its size is consistent with a Peak Resorts venture: Small day-trip area that could get the locals to Mt. Snow.  But other ownership groups in VT could also benefit from a satellite advertising platform in CT.
    Not sure it's at that level of prominence.  It's out in the sticks. People in Danbury have a better option at Thunder Ridge, and people in Waterbury have a better option at Southington.  Strikes me as one of those places the locals are going to have to bootstrap, or could work as a county parks venue sort of like Campgaw in NJ.

I think if it was more south, or just outside of Hartford perhaps it might be effective.  Where it is, not so much.  I hope I'm wrong.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Couldn't open because of a statewide drought? Didn't the other areas open.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    newman said:

If I recall the details of it correctly, Woodbury got their snowmaking water directly from the town supply. The severe drought conditions in CT last year had water usage restrictions in place. Woodbury wasn't going to be able to draw the quantity of water they typically use from the town.

The other areas in CT,have the more traditional water supply sources using various ponds and/or stream, etc, so they didn;t have the municipality limits on them that Woodbury did...
  • woodcorewoodcore novice
    DrJeff said:

newman said:

If I recall the details of it correctly, Woodbury got their snowmaking water directly from the town supply. The severe drought conditions in CT last year had water usage restrictions in place. Woodbury wasn't going to be able to draw the quantity of water they typically use from the town.

The other areas in CT,have the more traditional water supply sources using various ponds and/or stream, etc, so they didn;t have the municipality limits on them that Woodbury did...

Woodbury gets it snowmaking water from Sprain Brook which runs across the base of the hill. The drought last year lowered the stream flow below levels for withdrawal.

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Wood core how the heck are you ?

You had the BEST PICTURED TRIP REPORTS

Wish I could get SJ 1 archives