Is this a record?

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,127
Guessing that this will be some kind of record for amount of open terrain by Dec. 15 in New England. Anyone have any data? Seems like a huge number of places opening and with a large percentage of terrain open.

And the forecast is fantastic...

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I remember skiing the Great Eastern (Killington) to Rte. 4 in early December, so I'm  guessing that whatever year that was, everybody else had similar.
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    I know in Michigan it’s a great start and it’s been a long time since we have had conditions like this so early
  • slathamslatham advanced
    No not a record. Top 10 for sure. There have been years with good early season snow and then a big December dump that put most Northern NE areas at 100%.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    slatham said:

No not a record. Top 10 for sure. There have been years with good early season snow and then a big December dump that put most Northern NE areas at 100%.

But by this date? I know many times by the end of the month, but this is really unusual, in a good way, certainly for Vermont. Don't know if there is data out there
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Reminds me to start of 00-01 season and jan-feb-mar was epic.
    ~Rich~
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    No record for natural snow, there have been bigger early season slam dunks. I've skied 3' in October at Jay before and I've seen areas like MRG open in December at 100%. But this has been a great stretch for man made snow and natural snow base building. Natural has been good, better than average in some parts for this early in the season but not record setting. However, temps have been consistently below freezing with only one day warm up and that passed quickly. So expansion is happening better than average, I think, due to the extended cold and lack of thaw. We'll see how long the stretch can go!
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    riverc0il said:

No record for natural snow, there have been bigger early season slam dunks. I've skied 3' in October at Jay before and I've seen areas like MRG open in December at 100%. But this has been a great stretch for man made snow and natural snow base building. Natural has been good, better than average in some parts for this early in the season but not record setting. However, temps have been consistently below freezing with only one day warm up and that passed quickly. So expansion is happening better than average, I think, due to the extended cold and lack of thaw. We'll see how long the stretch can go!

00-01 had a slow start but was cold, a lot of places are actually below normal for snowfall, almost average. If this pattern holds were gonna get a big one. Perfect set up for a big Nor'Easter, tuesday is gonna be close most low elevations will see a mix but could be a good snow for higher elevations.
    ~Rich~
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Treilly said:

I know in Michigan it’s a great start and it’s been a long time since we have had conditions like this so early

Oh how short our memory November 2013 I was skiing on 100 percent open at bittersweet only four years ago

And vividly I remember 60 inches of snow or 5 feet December 2008 here in Michigan
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The exact year escapes me now,  but I know about a decade or so ago as I recall, Mount Snow was either at, or just about at 100% open for their demo day weekend, which is roughly the 2nd weekend of December every year.  They're closing in on that right now as well.

So while this season, or at least the last few weeks in particular are off to a GOOD start, not quite sure that it's at "historic" levels!

The GREAT thing though it appears given the recent weather and looking ahead at the trends over the next 10 days or so, is it looks likes most every area in the Northeast, especially the smaller "mom and pop" areas who so greatly rely on Christmas week for one of the keys of a good financial season, look to be in good shape at having a good amount of terrain open to attract the masses and help increase deposits into their bank accounts! 
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 920
    Meanwhile out west ........ Not so great in most places.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• TreillyTreilly advanced
    sugarloaf said:

According to this article Michigan is doing my better than out west
    http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/michigan_ski_resorts_covered_i.html#incart_river_mobile_home_pop
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    It's pretty good out there this week. But overall for the early season it doesn't feel particularly exceptional. Maybe slightly above average? I can easily think of better and worse conditions for mid December.
    sugarloaf said:

That's one of the great arguments for ski area ownership multi-regional diversification. Usually when it's exceptionally good in one part of the country, it's particularly bad in one of the other regions.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Highs in the teens here next week during Christmas week of course it would be too cold for the average Joe to ski so the numbers will probably be down
    The extended forecast here is calling for rain this Friday and Saturday, followed by a blast of Arctic air. This means expensive iceskating with 10,000 other folks.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• slathamslatham advanced
    sugarloaf said:

The extended forecast here is calling for rain this Friday and Saturday, followed by a blast of Arctic air. This means expensive iceskating with 10,000 other folks.

Unless there's a post thaw dump......
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,129
    sugarloaf said:

Maybe 30 years ago.  These days, with modern snowmaking and grooming, it may not be natural powder, but it's still very decent skiing within 2 days.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 920

sugarloaf said:

Maybe 30 years ago.  These days, with modern snowmaking and grooming, it may not be natural powder, but it's still very decent skiing within 2 days.

I agree, but Christmas weekend looks ify.

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    For CVT it looks like a pretty good whack of snow on Friday, then some r*@n on Saturday. Looks like enough of the latter to wipe out whatever falls Friday and Friday night, so may be net zero. Christmas Day looks like potential for something good...