Now there's buzz about Mt. Whittier reopening....

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 266
There's a new owner of Mt. Whittier, and he is considering some options to reactivate the mountain in some way. Check out the article.

Comments

Their old logo reminds me of Magic's new logo.
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    Bretton Woods is spending 15 million on their gondi and summit restaurant. This guy should try that too.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    GAWD I want one of those old Meuller Gondola cabins SOOOOO bad!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Funny, I was just looking at that lift as I drove under it last Sunday and wondered why it was taken down yet, especially where it crosses the road. I was thinking there could be no hope of resurrecting that lift now.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ski_it said:

I was thinking there could be no hope of resurrecting that lift now.

I would bet the deed to my house that your original assessment turns out to be correct.  

Then again, I thought the same thing about that scrap metal at Magic, so what do I know.

;))
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    While I completely love the idea of Lost ski areas being "Found", I don't realistically see Whittier ever being a viable ski area.  There are a lot of reasons why it didn't work out the first time(s).  Location, vertical, lack of snow are all a problem there.  A multi-season design would be its only hope, although that existed before and didn't work.  I hate to say it but I think this one needs to be left Lost.  
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    That lift was probably last run in 1995 so that's over twenty years of sitting still, plus an old cable, old sheeves and inadequate safety precautions. No way NH would certify it without a lot of work. Gonna take some hard core capital to get snowmaking going to blow the bears and woodchucks out of the pipes, assuming they're still there. 

Best bet-- auction off the gondolas, turn the tram into a zip line, carve mountain biking trails and perhaps spin a T-bar in the winter for backcountry access. Go for the restaurant somewhere accessible by car and get the crowd going north for dinner on Friday's and coming home on Sundays. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Zipline over Rt 16. I like it!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I’m the optimist: put together a solid business plan for Whittier. The trick is to find its unique selling proposition and market the resort as unique in all the experiences you can have in New Hampshire.

And for heavens sake: make it a year-round draw not solely dependent on winter sports. That gondola is unlike any other in the state - or New England. The large quantity of advanced/expert skiing screams a Mt. Bohemia experience. Find a way to work with the community like Mike did with Tenney.

IBRAKE
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 278
    I like the zip line idea. A mountain bike center is a good idea two... maybe a mini Kingdom Trails for NH? Not sure how much area he owns or if it is viable terrain for that sort of thing. If any ski trails are still viable, they could get cleared out and he could charge a few for uphillers and make it an earn your turns ski area for minimal investment. Could go the Ascutney route with a small beginners area at the base and earn your turns to the summit and run it community center style (that isn't going to turn him a profit though, if that is his interest). King Pine is in the neighborhood, probably not a lot of demand for another small ski area in that general location.

I think the biggest issue is the location. Ossipee is just a place people blow through to get to North Conway. The only reason people probably remember it is that it is one of the few lights between the tolls and North Conway on Route 16.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 278
    Dup post.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    bmwskier said:

Best bet-- auction off the gondolas, turn the tram into a zip line, carve mountain biking trails and perhaps spin a T-bar in the winter for backcountry access. Go for the restaurant somewhere accessible by car and get the crowd going north for dinner on Friday's and coming home on Sundays. 

I think this is a really great proposition!
    I agree with others who have said that Ossipee is a "blow by" spot on Rt 16. On the other hand, the east side of the lakes region has a gap in easily accessible 'vertical' fun. Zip lines, MTB, etc could draw a 3 season audience of people who don't want to go all the way to North Conway. I don't see skiing being a realistic part of that business plan. Maybe tubing could cover the winter months?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

I’m the optimist: put together a solid business plan for Whittier. The trick is to find its unique selling proposition and market the resort as unique in all the experiences you can have in New Hampshire.

And for heavens sake: make it a year-round draw not solely dependent on winter sports. That gondola is unlike any other in the state - or New England. The large quantity of advanced/expert skiing screams a Mt. Bohemia experience. Find a way to work with the community like Mike did with Tenney.

IBRAKE

Disagree comparison to Bo, no lake E, much more accessible, AND a Mikki D at base
    Now if it was Jim K no doubt it would work
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,886
    Yeah I'm one of those blow by people. Always said I should stop but never did. But now they have BBQ, the Pizza Barn & Hobbs Tavern/brewery nearby. That could help. I hope they reopen too as it looks like an interesting hill
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    I'm pretty sure Whittier was my first NELSAP discovery well before the internet.  I have always had dreams for it to reopen.  This owner seems way too casual to go through with it once he figures out the price-tag and foretasted returns.
    imageimage
    IMG_2542.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 970K
    IMG_2543.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 846K