Who wants to ride Whaleback’s new Hall t-bar??

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,246
    I just want to ride a T-bar any T-bar a lot safer than a Borvig chair
    Getting nervous about riding an old Riblet center pole with all these mishaps
    Do Riblet grips have a history of failing? If a Riblet grip fails you don’t slide backwards, you fall.

I’ve heard about Yans and Borvigs having issues, not Riblet.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced

Do Riblet grips have a history of failing? If a Riblet grip fails you don’t slide backwards, you fall.

I’ve heard about Yans and Borvigs having issues, not Riblet.

Don't they have the insert clips?
    Can't wait to ride it tomorrow!
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    where did this "new" Hall t come from again?0
    ciscokid said:

where did this "new" Hall t come from again?0

Plattekill
    - Sam
    It may as well be new. The lift is state of the art - with the slight exception of the counter weight! :D
  • patrick_torsellpatrick_torsell intermediate
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 659
    Skytrans, and the lift was great when it was running unfortunately it deroped 4 times this weekend. They have a week to get it right while closed midweek.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    newpylong said:

Skytrans, and the lift was great when it was running unfortunately it deroped 4 times this weekend. They have a week to get it right while closed midweek.

I have seen this a lot with drag lifts if there is not enough snow at the load/takeoff. Was it the first tower or somewhere down the line?

newpylong said:

I have seen this a lot with drag lifts if there is not enough snow at the load/takeoff. Was it the first tower or somewhere down the line?

Today it was once at the first tower and once at the last. I believe yesterday's deropements were at the last tower as well.
    - Sam

newpylong said:

Today it was once at the first tower and once at the last. I believe yesterday's deropements were at the last tower as well.
    Sounds like they’re working the kinks out of running this kind of surface lift. This isn’t the skiing of 30+ years ago where Hall t-bars were much more common. Skiers and boarders need to know that they have to stay in the lift line and not veer away from it. The lifties also need to be sure there’s a decent line of snow for the skiers on the lift line to ride up on.
    Unfortunately it had nothing to do with skier behavior on 3 out of 4 of the events. There are theories but the root causes are still TBD. The snow depth is to design spec on the entire tow path, but it is possible they need to be tweaked based on reality. Issues were anticipated but still very frustrating for the mountain. Now closed for 4 days, so there is time to further work on the issue(s) and made modifications if required.

I was actually impressed with how fast people got the hang of it. 75% of them looked at the lift like it was an alien. But they picked it up fairly quick. The pistons are all new so they are pretty stiff, especially with the low temps. Kids were better off going with an adult to keep the carriers down low for them.

• obienickobienick expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,102
    How far off-path can one safely go on a T-Bar?

In general, why don't ski areas set tracks in the lift line like you'd have for classic XC skiing?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,354
    newpylong said:

Unfortunately it had nothing to do with skier behavior on 3 out of 4 of the events. There are theories but the root causes are still TBD. The snow depth is to design spec on the entire tow path, but it is possible they need to be tweaked based on reality. Issues were anticipated but still very frustrating for the mountain. Now closed for 4 days, so there is time to further work on the issue(s) and made modifications if required.

I was actually impressed with how fast people got the hang of it. 75% of them looked at the lift like it was an alien. But they picked it up fairly quick. The pistons are all new so they are pretty stiff, especially with the low temps. Kids were better off going with an adult to keep the carriers down low for them.

I probably saw you there today. It was interesting watching the many people who had obviously never ridden a T-bar before. The T-bar was very easy to load compared to most, there was no sudden pull.

Here's a video of the T-bar today (IBrake, turn up your volume :D): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9vXEpk_Ps
    - Sam
  • patrick_torsellpatrick_torsell intermediate
    obienick said:

How far off-path can one safely go on a T-Bar?

In general, why don't ski areas set tracks in the lift line like you'd have for classic XC skiing?
    Not far. Any deviation puts a lateral load on the haul rope which can affect rope travel. I've seen a haul rope ride right to the flange from a single child skiing a few feet outside the track. Of course, it depends on the profile of the line, location of the skier, weight of the skier, etc. But they are designed for the load to be directly under the line equipment.

Re: set tracks - snowboards are a big reason. Differing ski sizes. Catching edges. Little tiny skiers with "edgie-wedgies." And a lot of alpine ski areas don't have a tiller with track-setting pans.
    I’m wondering if idlers on the four sheave uphill side of the summit tower might help with controlling a haul rope derailment. That or raising the uphill side cross arm.
    newpylong said:

I’m curious what some of the remedies might be. Sheave realignment? Slight raising of a cross bar?

newpylong said:

I’m curious what some of the remedies might be. Sheave realignment? Slight raising of a cross bar?

Didn't Cannon have a similar issue with their new T-bar? What did they do to fix it?
    - Sam
    There are numerous things that can be done but they shouldn't be until the problem is better understood, which at this point it is not. 

All hands on deck tomorrow to reproduce the issue and there are some modifications in fabrication in case they are required.
    Wonder what Whaleback’s discoveries/conclusions about the t-bar deropement were. Hopefully just a simple sheave readjustment if tower one is primarily impacted.

Great looking lift and will clearly be very useful to Whaleback in seasons to come!

IBRAKE