Camelback 12./17/17

4aprice4aprice intermediate
First day of the 2017-2018 season for 4aprice at Camelback Mountain Resort in Tannerville PA.  At + double nickles it isn't as easy to just hop on the slopes and take off anymore.  As others have pointed out any bad falls could result in longer healing times then in the past and in the back of the mind there is always the question "Can I do this anymore?"  Glad to report it was a successful 1st day.

Uneventful drive (a good thing) up 80, the Gap snow covered and ice covered at the bend showing that it has been cold. This picture is approaching the mountain from the south side just before the Tannersville exit.

Pre Christmas, no rushing,  took my time , got the pass, the locker and the boots fitting well before hitting the snow about 10.

The first run of the season down the mighty Sun Bowl.  Like I said, scared of what could be, discretion is the better part of valor, and I opted for the easy first run,  Certainly felt a little rust but a nice confidence boost.

Camelback is the home mountain and therefore the major goal here is not about vertical feet or high stakes skiing,  but about practice, practice, practice.  With that in mind I headed for Glen Chair ( and its stunning 400 or so foot vert) and the nicely pitched Rodo run.  Yo-yo'd 10 laps, up and down, up and down working on timing and just getting comfortable back on the boards.  Surface was a combination of decent gripable hardpack with just a taste of ice.  Good workout and practice

Rodo

After that I returned via the mighty Sun Bowl to the main base area and Sullivan Quad.

3 ways open from the top.  Marc Antony to Honeymoon , Marjies Delight to Sullivan, and King Tut to Meadows. 

Tut and Meadows

imageimage

Marjies and Sullivan. 

The Marjies /Sullivan combo took the prize for the best of the day with a small line of moguls forming on the skiers right making for a lot of fun.  At 15 runs the legs started to scold me so wrapped it up and called it a successful first day.  Stopped in to the Thisty Camel and had one before hitting the road back to North Jersey.  A fun opening day.

Alex 

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

IMG_1817.jpg
528 x 390 - 24K
IMG_1821 (1).jpg
602 x 404 - 22K
IMG_1832 (1).jpg
536 x 361 - 28K
IMG_1982.jpg
544 x 406 - 35K
IMG_2003.jpg
536 x 410 - 39K
IMG_2004.jpg
548 x 381 - 34K
IMG_2006.jpg
533 x 388 - 32K
IMG_2028.jpg
534 x 370 - 36K
IMG_2029.000.jpg
230 x 168 - 10K

Comments

• 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    edited December 2017 Posts: 99
    Just want to add that the snow guns were at work and terrain should be expanding soon.  Upper Cleo, Nile Mile looked close  and the guns were on a couple of other trails too.  You can be sure they want to get Stevenson up and cranking for the holidays.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Your best trip report in years Alex array great pictures too by the way sorry we missed you there for years ago I was just watching the hike up snowbowl back from 07 your son was a little take them
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    ciscokid said:

Your best trip report in years Alex array great pictures too by the way sorry we missed you there for years ago I was just watching the hike up snowbowl back from 07 your son was a little take them

Thanks Cisco.  Look for more during the season from CBK and others  (maybe even some pics of Rick Bolger if we can work it out).  That little boy is now 21, not so little and living in Colorado making the old man jealous but giving him good excuses to go out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thanks for sharing some pictures from Pennsylvania!
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,886

Great report!

"gripable hardpack with just a taste of ice" - I may have to pilfer that saying for future reports. You don't see that one much in the area conditions reports.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ski_it said:

Great report!

"gripable hardpack with just a taste of ice" - I may have to pilfer that saying for future reports. You don't see that one much in the area conditions reports.

also known as Pocono Packed Powder ;)

Thanks for the report Alex!