Big Tupper 2018- 2019

Looks like Big Tupper gets another chance...  i haven't made it there yet but will make the trip if they reopen..


«1

Comments

  • Thanks for the update as I've heard nothing of late.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited December 2017

    Did they really say lift tickets will cost 80% of the Whiteface rate?  $70?  Good luck with that.

    Unless they meant "80% off". Big difference.

  • edited December 2017
    Didn't chair 3 open also to access the summit pod and the top of the chair 1 trail area? They didn't mention that one. With chair 2 and 3 the whole mountain is accessible. Just chair 2 is better than nothing, but for just that pod it's a long out of the way trip there.
  • edited December 2017
    newman said:

    Didn't chair 3 open also to access the summit pod and the top of the chair 1 trail area? They didn't mention that one. With chair 2 and 3 the whole mountain is accessible. Just chair 2 is better than nothing, but for just that pod it's a long out of the way trip there.

  • newman said:

    Didn't chair 3 open also to access the summit pod and the top of the chair 1 trail area? They didn't mention that one. With chair 2 and 3 the whole mountain is accessible. Just chair 2 is better than nothing, but for just that pod it's a long out of the way trip there.

    Yes, but this is irrelevant.
    They have zero snow making capability.
  • I did not read the whole article but are we again talking about or year from now like Z said if there is no or snowmaking is probably moot

    I'm really surprise Greg Norman attached his name to a place like this
  • But they do have those gorgeous cathedral Gothic style chairs sitting in the barn there which would be worth a visit just the same to see them
  • Whats the deal with Big Tupper? is the expansion happening, is the mountain ever going to re-open. I used to have an Ear to the village but they have since moved. Any information out there?
    ~Rich~
  • loafasaur said:
    There is no mention of snowmaking in that article. Why repair a chair when there is no reason for it to operate if there is no snow? These guys are full of crap. As I have mentioned before - no snowmaking - no skiing.
  • Does anyone know what's the story with the snowmaking? I know some was sold off. But what? Are there any pumps or compressors left?

    Key being pumps. Big Squaw now actively makes snow on HKDs without any air or onboard compressors. Obviously it's got to be cold. Ratnik claims their low-E guns work without air below 10. Should get cold enough mid season at Tupper to do that.
  • obienick said:

     Big Squaw now actively makes snow on HKDs without any air or onboard compressors. Obviously it's got to be cold. Ratnik claims their low-E guns work without air below 10. Should get cold enough mid season at Tupper to do that.

    Cold enough in November over there in Tupper....the icebox of NY
  • edited January 31
    obienick said:

    Does anyone know what's the story with the snowmaking? I know some was sold off. But what? Are there any pumps or compressors left?

    Key being pumps. Big Squaw now actively makes snow on HKDs without any air or onboard compressors. Obviously it's got to be cold. Ratnik claims their low-E guns work without air below 10. Should get cold enough mid season at Tupper to do that.

    I have never heard of old HKD Standards/Spectrums making snow at ultra low temps without compressed air, but I guess anything is possible. My hunch would be they have some leased hill air.
  • Tupper has zero snowmaking equipment.
  • edited January 31
    There used to be a gun that made snow with no air below the mid teens called Waterstick. You also had to use Snowmax in the water. It was from York. Anyway Tipper sold of everything they could for snowmaking IIRC. To try to go with no air if you don't use on board compressors is just not going to work.
  • edited January 31
    Check out Big Squaw's Facebook page. They brag at doing it with HKDs and no hill air (no pipes) or onboard compressors. You may not be able to open in marginal or average conditions, but it seems like you can make a decent amount of cheap mid-season base-building/resurfacing snow when cold snaps come. And to me as someone with no knowledge, it seems like the way a non profit must go to make snow.

    Idk if they invested in a snowmax system (nothing on Facebook) or had one from the absent owner (doubtful). They have a fleet of 7 fan guns for opening snow.

    Are the Tupper pipes gone too?
  • How much will it cost to rebuild lift One. Then what about parts and such for a old lift with rare chairs? If they could figure a way to install a lift from the base to the summit of Chair 6, the could retire 1 and 3. All trails on both areas of that side could be used by one T2B chair. Im sure that kind of money is never going to be in that bank account, but it could be a three season draw for the lake area. If they will redo lifts, I think it's for nil with no snowmaking.
  • Pipes at Tupper still.
  • obienick said:

    Check out Big Squaw's Facebook page. They brag at doing it with HKDs and no hill air (no pipes) or onboard compressors. You may not be able to open in marginal or average conditions, but it seems like you can make a decent amount of cheap mid-season base-building/resurfacing snow when cold snaps come. And to me as someone with no knowledge, it seems like the way a non profit must go to make snow.

    Idk if they invested in a snowmax system (nothing on Facebook) or had one from the absent owner (doubtful). They have a fleet of 7 fan guns for opening snow.

    Are the Tupper pipes gone too?

    That is very interesting. My experience with them if they take quite a bit of air. Good guns though. HKDs first towers!
  • Those old Hall gothic cathedral are unusable right? Safety issue with them right?

    Then if then can't use them I want to buy one
  • ciscokid said:

    Then if then can't use them I want to buy one

    Me too!
  • obienick said:

    Check out Big Squaw's Facebook page. They brag at doing it with HKDs and no hill air (no pipes) or onboard compressors. You may not be able to open in marginal or average conditions, but it seems like you can make a decent amount of cheap mid-season base-building/resurfacing snow when cold snaps come. And to me as someone with no knowledge, it seems like the way a non profit must go to make snow.

    Idk if they invested in a snowmax system (nothing on Facebook) or had one from the absent owner (doubtful). They have a fleet of 7 fan guns for opening snow.

    Are the Tupper pipes gone too?

    That is very interesting. My experience with them if they take quite a bit of air. Good guns though. HKDs first towers!
    The fan guns have on board compressors.
  • newman said:

    How much will it cost to rebuild lift One. Then what about parts and such for a old lift with rare chairs? If they could figure a way to install a lift from the base to the summit of Chair 6, the could retire 1 and 3. All trails on both areas of that side could be used by one T2B chair. Im sure that kind of money is never going to be in that bank account, but it could be a three season draw for the lake area. If they will redo lifts, I think it's for nil with no snowmaking.

    The upper chair (3) base is about 200-250 feet below the top terminals of the 1 and 2 chairs. A top to bottom lift would eliminate the top pod with the exception of a flat trail that gets you to the top of chair 1. The top pod has about a 600 foot vertical.
  • Speaking of Greg Norman, is there any construction started of a GN championship course?
  • edited January 31
    Cant you ski out of the top Chair 3 pod
    down into Lower Slucie to the base?
  • newman said:

    Cant you ski out of the top Chair 3 pod
    down into Lower Slucie to the base?

    Spruce Run is a flat trail that takes you from the top of Chair 3 to the top of Chair 1.
  • newman said:

    Cant you ski out of the top Chair 3 pod
    down into Lower Slucie to the base?



    Spruce Run is a flat trail that takes you from the top of Chair 3 to the top of Chair 1.

     

    Cant you can ski from the base of chair #3 down through ranger to lower sluice to the lodge?


  • newman said:

    newman said:

    Cant you ski out of the top Chair 3 pod
    down into Lower Slucie to the base?



    Spruce Run is a flat trail that takes you from the top of Chair 3 to the top of Chair 1.

     

    Cant you can ski from the base of chair #3 down through ranger to lower sluice to the lodge?


    I am pretty sure that when you are at the base of Chair 3 you would have to climb up to get to the trails on the main face. 
  • Back in the news....

    Link
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Man, I hope they can eventually get the whole place running. Would love to ski there.
Sign In or Register to comment.