Bromley Pump House Fire

edited December 2017 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,146
From an email they sent out:

Dear loyal guests, homeowners and local community,

You may have heard about a fire at Bromley Saturday night - this message will address the fire in our Primary Pump House that occurred during the night of December 16 and early morning December 17. It began with an electrical fault, and local fire departments responded. We are grateful no one was injured in the incident.

Snowmaking and terrain status as of today: Bromley enjoys 178 acres of skiable terrain total, with snowmaking coverage on 135. We’re currently skiing and riding on 99 acres, 74 of which have snowmaking capability. Prior to shutting down last night, Team Snowmageddon has pumped 50 million gallons up the mountain this season, leaving another 20 acres of additional terrain ready to be groomed and added to the trail count. Blue Ribbon and Yodeler will provide East Side access, and Plaza and Lord’s Prayer will provide slope side access for Bromley Village guests. By the end of the week we expect to be at 30 trails, spanning 118 open acres (66% open), with 93 of our snowmaking acres covered (almost 70%).

What this means for Bromley right now: snowmaking is currently on hold, as Primary Pump functioned to push water up the mountain. We are actively working to source parts to put a temporary fix in place, allowing us to resume snowmaking as soon as possible.

The long range plan now includes an opportunity for renovating a 20 year old system – it was state of the art when installed in the early 1990’s, but certainly has room for improvement today. We’ll release details on the long range plan once clean up is complete, salvageable parts identified, and a new shopping list finalized.

What does this mean for your holiday plans? Mother Nature has provided us with great natural snow so far this season (over 2 feet), plus enough cold hours in November and December to achieve the snowmaking coverage outlined above. Our Snowsports School, Kids Center and all other Mountain Operations will continue as usual. Updates on the snowmaking pump system rebuild will be delivered as available.

From all of us at Bromley, thank you for skiing and riding your Sun Mountain.
- Sam

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    Magic has it troubles with the new lift install. Now this at the big B. The Golden Triangle isn't looking so welcoming now. Seriously, for Bromley this is very bad.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 169
    S#8* happens. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get some form of snowmaking back, and whether being teamed up with Jiminy and Cranmore helps them recover quicker. Longer term a brand new pumphouse will be a welcome upgrade.
  • Dirk109Dirk109 novice

Magic’s lift issue is NOTHING compared to this.. Magic is
    fine without the Green Lift, Bromley without snowmaking………

• Spunkyskier01Spunkyskier01 intermediate
    edited December 2017 Posts: 21
    I responded to this fire with my fire department, very intense fire and very tragic. From the grapevine they will have something temporary up fairly soon. It will be no easy feat but portable pumping systems do exist that should bring them to partial capacity. I wish them the best of luck!

I responded to this fire with my fire department, very intense fire and very tragic. From the grapevine they will have something temporary up fairly soon. It will be no easy feat but portable pumping systems do exist that should bring them to partial capacity. I wish them the best of luck!

Thanks for your hard work in putting this out. We live in the Village and appreciate (and support) Peru and Londonderry FD's. I've skied with Grant before - we need to catch up too at Brom or Magic.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Ski areas are usually pretty helpful when bad things happen to their competitors. Despite being competitors, it's a fairly small industry and no one wants to see others go under.  

I bet the temporary situation will be used for the rest of the winter and a new pumphouse built for next year (possibly with increased capacity if they are not at their permitted maximum)
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 209
    obienick said:

Ski areas are usually pretty helpful when bad things happen to their competitors. Despite being competitors, it's a fairly small industry and no one wants to see others go under.  

That happened last year in northern Michigan when Boyne Highlands hotel caught on fire and they had to close for a short time. Nubs Nob which is across the street honored season passes from Boyne Highlands until they could get up and running again.  
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Treilly said:

obienick said:

That happened last year in northern Michigan when Boyne Highlands hotel caught on fire and they had to close for a short time. Nubs Nob which is across the street honored season passes from Boyne Highlands until they could get up and running again.  
    Treilly said:

obienick said:

That happened last year in northern Michigan when Boyne Highlands hotel caught on fire and they had to close for a short time. Nubs Nob which is across the street honored season passes from Boyne Highlands until they could
    get up and running again.  
    Wow I did not hear about that Ted thumbs up for knobs nubs

On the other hand never Kercher Everett just bought out his competition even want to He even wanted to buy out knobs at one point so I don't know if the other shoe would fit
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Yes the main point is like they say they are grateful that no one got hurt they can always rebuild and will be fine but I feel I feel sorry for the man that rolled over the snowcap snow cat at Ascutney
  • TomWhiteTomWhite expert
    The roll over was at Burke. Was it a snow cat or another tracked vehicle? 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    TomWhite said:

The roll over was at Burke. Was it a snow cat or another tracked vehicle? 

I had heard it was an ATV, but the http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=638 says that it was a snowcat that rolled and the guy who died wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Getting some portable pumps, and if their air plant was affected as well, portable air compressors in and plumbed into their system, the vast majority of which was unaffected, isn't that big of a deal.  It's not a cheap thing to do, but far better than the likely losses at the ticket window they'd be facing if they didn't have snowmaking ability for the next 6 to 8 weeks.....

The bigger issue may be, and I haven't heard either way on this, is if when the fire happened and they had to shuts the pumps down quickly, or they suddenly went offline without any notice, were they able to get their water lines drained before the cold, single digits temps Saturday evening potentially could of frozen their lines solid.....

Hopefully it will be just a matter of a couple of days before we hear that Bromley has their snowmaking system operational again....
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    The hardest part about portable pumps is they can pump a lot of volume but don't typically have the lift (TDH) that your typical wet pit or booster pumps do. I don't know one thing about their infrastructure if this was a pond pump a booster, etc. I am sure they will figure it out.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Good point on the freezing. Not just pipe but the hkd or another stick tower they use could of froze solid in single digits. This kind of thing can total those type of guns if the froze solid than cracked, same as pipe or valves. If the workers all came off the hill and fought the fire, something like this may of been an issue. Hopefully not for them.
  • BondmanBondman novice
    Is there any chance that Bromley would have business interupion insurance?
  • KendoKendo novice

There is very little chance that they don't have Business Interruption insurance.  if they didn't - then that would be a colossal failure in their risk management program.  They should also have "Extra Expense" coverage in their program as well.  Extra Expense would cover "reasonable and necessary" extra costs for temporary fix to maintain operations - bring in temporary pumps. 

Hopefully for the season's pass holders, they (or their insurers) don't make a decision that the lost day ticket revenue is not worth the extra cost to quickly get snow making back up and running.  That would be a short sighted view.  They need to get those pumps back up and running ASAP

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=640

"An electrical fault was to blame for a major fire this weekend that destroyed Bromley's primary pump house, shutting down the area's snowmaking system. Ski operations were not affected.

The fire started on Saturday night, taking out Bromley's primary uphill pump, described as the heart of the snowmaking system. According to Bromley, the facility was constructed in the early 1990s.

Bromley officials have been meeting with insurance officials, vendors, and engineers, while demolition activities have already commenced. The resort plans to have a temporary system operating before Martin Luther King Day. In the meantime, an additional Pisten Bully snowcat has been procured to help with snow surfaces.

Thanks to good early snowmaking weather and natural snowfall, Bromley was able to open most of the main mountain prior to the fire, pumping about 50 million gallons of water. Phases 4 and 5 of its snowmaking campaign, covering the Snow Bowl, were not completed.

Located in southern Vermont, Bromley was founded by Fred Pabst Jr. of Pabst Blue Ribbon fame. Pabst installed what was billed as the largest snowmaking system in the world at Bromley in 1965. Despite a southern exposure, the ski area has had 6 consecutive November openings."

Not sure where he got the "Snow Bowl" area name - this is typically referred to as the East Side. I hope they can make the MLK time frame, but I REALLY hope these next couple of storms deliver. Given current natural base (some natural trails were open last weekend) a base consolidating storm tomorrow/Sat followed by a Christmas miracle dump would put them (everyone!) in pretty good shape. I am sure that's on Bromley's list to Santa.........

• newmannewman advanced
    They were making snow on Blue Ribbon
    I guess the fire put an end to that. Only expert run to be opened with snow making was Corkscrew.
    newman said:

They were making snow on Blue Ribbon
    I guess the fire put an end to that. Only expert run to be opened with snow making was Corkscrew.

No they finished Blue Ribbon (and Yodeler, Plaza and Lords Prayer). They said all would open for the weekend, and Yodeler and Plaza are open today.

They had Sunder open last weekend and I suspect it will reopen once it snows a bit. Avalanche was close (some people poached) and it too just needs 6" of wet base builder (tomorrow?).

I suspect Sunset Pass can also open with another decent snow. Other East side trails will probably need two decent snows, and I doubt Stargazer/Little Dipper can open without a serious dump due to rock ledges.  

Glad there's a real good shot at a base builder this weekend and a possibility of more for Christmas.

edited December 2017 Posts: 169

Great to hear other areas are offering help.

Update, December 21. The old pump house building has been torn down and cleaned up. Our mountain ops crew worked through Tuesday’s nasty weather, unbolting thousands of bolts to get it all out of the way so that the motors and pumps could be removed, via crane, and shipped to Associated Electro-Mechanics (AEM), where they’ve been inspected and tested. We’ve received word that the pumps are in decent condition, as they remained submerged under several feet of water during the fire. Happily, the rotors in two of our motors are salvageable as well, and AEM will completely rewind them over the next week. We’ve also sourced some backup replacement motors from other locations, and these are at AEM undergoing tests to determine compatibility with our system and needs, just in case we need the contingency on the contingency plan!

We’ve got a super warm and fuzzy feeling all over from the immediate, fast and helpful offers of assistance industry-wide. These include AEM and the BOC’s Brian Langille for sourcing starters. Killington, Peak Resorts, Stowe, Okemo, Cranmore, Jiminy Peak and hopefully not too many others we forgot to list have all been nothing short of spectacular, reaching out with offers to help, of equipment, and words of encouragement. Thank you also to Slavko Stancic, the original project engineer who worked with Bill Cairns to create the original pump house in 1993, who is back on the scene, delaying retirement to get us up and running again. Thanks to the Peru Fire Department and to Mountain Guard Insurance. Brian and Tyler Fairbank, we’re grateful to be able to count on your support! And especially to our own Bromley crews, Rick Goddard and Mountain Operations, and Chris Nevitt and his snowmakers.

Oscar-worthy acceptance speech credits aside, Tuesday’s activities also included an on-site meeting with all key project players, including our Mountain Ops team, Slavco, AEM, Royal Electric and our local Sparky Electric to outline the rebuild plan.

Building supplies have been delivered and construction has begun; we plan to have a weather tight pump house structure in place a week from Friday (12/29). Electrical work will follow, then two pumps reinstalled. The next step is to get the system talking to us – Slavco’ll step in with our IT guys and make that happen. When all that goes EXACTLY as planned, we will begin snowmaking, weather permitting, the week of January 8. It’s a super short timeline, but we wouldn’t even consider it if we didn’t have full confidence in the crews behind the plan. 

• JonniJonni intermediate
    I cannot like or love this post enough!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Jonni said:

I cannot like or love this post enough!

+1