Comments

• Interesting, their ratings seemed all over the place. Titus Mountain for #3 in snow? They get like 90 inches a year. I get that these rankings are trivial, and based on survey response. I would like to see what you all think its tops for snow consistency. 
    ~Rich~
  • Titus is just about the best place ever, from this list. Someone who does this list likes Titus and Magic a lot. Magic got second or third for beginners. Really? Magic and Titus could both be number 1 for exaggerated vertical drops.
  • To each their own.  Best snow I skied in 2017 was Loveland on April 21st, but that's just me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • edited December 2017
    ADKskier said:

Interesting, their ratings seemed all over the place.

Well they start off well: We surveyed thousands of you

But what the first sentence giveth, the second taketh away: We blended that feedback

Their blender seems to be on a slant!  But, what the heck, it's fun to read and think about.

Proprietary Algorithm and Dataset   

I use those occasionally; quite helpful when you want to make a particular point ;)

• I think the place with the best though is the place that you are at the day you were there with the conditions that you like the best weather be groomed out or fresh powder the matter where you are that is the best for that day each day is a gift spend it wisely

All these rankings is a bunch of malarkey really isn't a bad ski hill out west and compared to where I live there's not a bad ski hill out east so let's just enjoy the holidays and get out there and make the most of everything happy holidays
  • I'm surprised that more resorts don't see this for what it really is... an attempt by a third party ticket seller to get a mountain or resort to advertise a ticket outlet other than the resort's own sales channel, thereby peeling off purchasers who might have otherwise bought directly from the resort.  Call it an "award", but it's really an advertisement to grab buyers.

It's funny that Magic buys right into these awards and posts a link on their own site about it... Just what the third party seller is hoping for!

Remember, when you buy from a third party, you're buying from a company that doesn't have any "skin" in the game -- they charge resorts a commission to sell a ticket but don't have to deliver snow, lift service, an experience, etc.  This, in turn, drives up the overall cost of lift tickets.

• If someone asks for a proprietary algorithm and dataset, it means you can't share. You also can't share a dataset or algorithm that doesn't exist. 
  • edited December 2017
    davek said:

I'm surprised that more resorts don't see this for what it really is... an attempt by a third party ticket seller to get a mountain or resort to advertise a ticket outlet other than the resort's own sales channel, thereby peeling off purchasers who might have otherwise bought directly from the resort.  Call it an "award", but it's really an advertisement to grab buyers.

It's funny that Magic buys right into these awards and posts a link on their own site about it... Just what the third party seller is hoping for!

Remember, when you buy from a third party, you're buying from a company that doesn't have any "skin" in the game -- they charge resorts a commission to sell a ticket but don't have to deliver snow, lift service, an experience, etc.  This, in turn, drives up the overall cost of lift tickets.

Not sure I agree with this in Liftopia's case -- the only tickets that get sold there are the ones the resort chooses to sell, and they control every aspect of quantity and cost.  Furthermore, many resorts online sales channel uses the Liftopia engine (or whatever you call it)   Magic's included, just look at the code.     Mount Snow also.   I think the relationship between Liftopia and the resorts is pretty solid.  Ultimately they use the numbers to increase sales, knowing that there are different buyers at different levels of pricing and advance purchase risk.   Lots of proprietary algorithms in play!  ;)

Here's the code from Hunter's website for example