Rating the 2017-2018 Season Versus the Last 11 Years

riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
edited December 2017 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 278
Well folks, it's time to begin discussing where this season fits in within the last 11 years. I've copied in last year's final summary for reference. 

Early season has been really good but not record setting. There was no October lift service. Early November was warm and a bit slow to start compared to other seasons. But snow making temps have been consistently cold for extended periods of time with hardly any warm ups during the past month. The Whites and Greens have both had solid and widespread natural snow, some areas have had really great natural snow numbers in December. And Shiffrin won at K's World Cup. I'm ready to say almost as good 2010-2011. Probably 3rd best season out of the past 11 years. 

Where do you think this season ranks? 

----

Summary of the last 11 years:

2010-1: Good snow Xmas, MLK and pres. week. No January thaw to speak of.
2012-3: While there was little snow in December and January, February and March were epic. The snow that did happen in December was right before Christmas week which was timely from an economic point-of-view. Same was true of the January snow with respect to MLK weekend. Although there was minimal early snowfall, there was a lot of good snowmaking weather in December. There were two nasty January thaws, but great mid-winter skiing right into April. Ski areas closing with 100% full-width open trails.
2013-2014: The fact is, the season had a promising start, but two major meltdowns really put a damper on the season. Mad River Glen was all but shut down for a couple of weeks in January. January was unusually cold. We had a great Feb. vacation week, ending in a thaw that pretty much "firmed up" the surfaces followed by a major cold snap. The skiing in March was epic from Killington north and pretty good elsewhere. Superb skiing continued in April. Those in the Mid-Atlantic states might rate this season as #1.
2016-7: Early season: Excellent, but only at Killington; Snowfall: Average to average plus; Economics: Excellent Christmas week both weather-wise and snow; MLK Weekend was excellent despite a generally poor January; February: Thru the 15th: epic; Presidents day thru Mar. 10 - gruesome, remainder of the season: Awesome; Killington makes it until June 1.
2008-9: Early ice storm, superb Jan./Feb.
2014-5: Early season: - No October skiing, but great from mid-November to mid-December; Christmas: Rain - pretty well killed the business for the week; January including MLK Weekend: Bad - not much snow, not much business; February: Unbelievably great snow, but record cold weather kept the crowds away; Late season was great with Killington going until Memorial Day.
2007-8: Lots of rain and temp swings
2009-10: slow start to season, early ending
2006-7: Bad start; bad finish; good middle
2011-2: After October blockbuster storm, almost no natural snow all season. While the skiing was adequate on snowmaking trails, natural snow glade skiing and other aspects of the sport that involved natural snow, never materialized
2015-6: After a flurry of mid-October skiing at Killington and Sunday River, things went dead for 3 weeks or so. December was one of the warmest in history with almost no snowmaking opportunities.  Much of ski country did not even open until after Christmas. The absence of natural snow has minimized glade skiing. Mad River was open a grand total of 45 days and 1/3 of those were Practice Slope only.  Killington ran until May 29 despite receiving only 1/3 of its normal snow total. Most areas closed 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual.  A few old timers remember seasons this bad but not in the last 10 years.

Comments

• thebigothebigo novice
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13
    Aren't you the one that always protests the prematurity of this thread?

Personally I don't care about October, it is more bragging rights than actually skiing. In my estimation november was average, there was solid cold around vets day but insufficient natural. December has been excellent, one of the best in my adult life. There was a year in the late 00's, that it dumped in December - maybe 07/08 but i could be wrong.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,875
    Seems like a early start to this , I remember guys arguing around March their season was only half over
    Haven't seen many trip reports through Dec but glad to see Alex 4 a price back posting on Camelback
    I really miss James Michaud/ Deluxe from SJ1( Bearpen article/ Bobcat report circa mid 90s)
    Had to spend time reading his great report from the old Toggenburg on NY skiblog
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I love it!  Riverc0il is obviously so excited about this season that he can no longer contain his enthusiasm!

I have to agree: The early season certainly puts it close to the top. In addition to all that Steve said,  it's unusual to have glade skiing reported so early in the season at many areas.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    thebigo said:

Aren't you the one that always protests the prematurity of this thread?

:D
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    One of the best November-December periods I can recall. Great snowmaking temps and plenty of natural snow. Incredible percentage of terrain open, at least in VT, for this period.
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Getting a jump on Josh, Steve?

About to get a whole lot better if the 16 Day GEFS from December 22 is to be believed..  Joe Bastardi has it posted on his Twitter feed. 

Rain, freeze to firm everything up, then cold for snow making and dump some more snow on top of it, not a bad combination.  Might even see some woods come into play. I'll take it.

Looking forward to New Years weekend, though a little worried about the crowds.  Gotta to deal with the masses at some point I guess.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Bah humbug.  I haven't gotten out yet.  From the Mason-Dixon Line south it's been mostly mild, with only a brief period of snowmaking.  Most areas are open, but with a minor percent of terrain.  Christmas week should be cooler and that could get us some more snowmaking chances.
    Folks are taking this joke far too serious with actual evaluations of the early season. 

Guess I should have known better...

8-|   ;))
    riverc0il said:

Folks are taking this joke far too serious with actual evaluations of the early season. 

8-|   ;))
    I think all will agree that there is a lot of ski season to go - but what's wrong with observing that this season is off to a better than average start?

riverc0il said:

8-|   ;))
    I think all will agree that there is a lot of ski season to go - but what's wrong with observing that this season is off to a better than average start?
    Agreed. Then when the January thaw comes and we all gripe we will remember how good it was, instead of waiting until April.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,146
    riverc0il said:

8-|   ;))

I should have relized that :D
    I guess we're all too used to Josh starting this topic around now anyways... ;))
    - Sam
    riverc0il said:

8-|   ;))
    That's the way I feel about global W.
    ⛷⛷⛷
    Actually, I usually start this thread in Feb. after we've had a chance to evaluate the Christmas Week and MLK weekend.  But every year Riverc0il suggests that the order that I finally assign is not quite the same as his order.  I tend to summarize only the threads that I start.  Steve: Does this mean that you are in charge of the final order since it's your thread this year?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    This is by far my best black & blue season in 30 years.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    edited December 2017 Posts: 99
    riverc0il said:

Actually, I usually start this thread in Feb. after we've had a chance to evaluate the Christmas Week and MLK weekend.  But every year Riverc0il suggests that the order that I finally assign is not quite the same as his order.  I tend to summarize only the threads that I start.  Steve: Does this mean that you are in charge of the final order since it's your thread this year?

I got Steve's humor right away.  I yelp just as loud as he does when you post them just after President's Week.  That's virtually the 1/2 way point of a 4aprice season and the best 1/2 is still to come as I love spring.  It's mid-terms, not finals if you get my drift.

I do want to say however, that I do enjoy the grades and list's you have made and hope you continue to post them.  I would also agree with you that covering the 3 main events in the industries calender is at least a solid basis in determining its place in history.  

1 more thing, I won't take charge of the final order of things (that would be somewhere around tax day for me) but if you deligate it to Steve you may not see it till June, when the snow finally quits on him.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice said:

riverc0il said:

I ... 

1 more thing, I won't take charge of the final order of things (that would be somewhere around tax day for me) but if you deligate it to Steve you may not see it till June, when the snow finally quits on him.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I will ask Steve's permission to summarize as we get later in the season and if he says, "no", I'll respect that and open a "B' thread.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    I've got 7 weekend drives in for skiing by Christmas this year! A VERY GOOD start to my season quantity wise!! And that's not even taking into account the awesome thing that Mount Snow's West Lake snowmaking project has been to the quantity of snow made over the quantity of trails, and/or getting to see some of the best women skiers in the world race at Killington over Thanksgiving weekend!!
    Well most of us are not 100+ days a year here but if my trip happens to the UP I hope to get in 8-10 ski areas in 8 days ( a couple 2 areas per day, Idianhead/ Big Powderhorn, Norway Vulcan/ Pine Mtn)along with 3 with the Ibrake4tbars gang. I've got 2 days in so far. Along with 4-5 outings with the grandsons I expect to have a record volume( for me) season hoping to reach 20 days.

My season stretches from day after Thanksgiving to early April, a solid 4 months.
    As far as weather you will always have ups and downs. Look at the west , Mammoth could have stayed open almost year round last year and now the west is way behind.

I'm sure glad the earth is exactly 63 million miles away from the sun and the equinoxes and solstices are in exact order and not off by a smidgeion of a degree

4aprice said:

riverc0il said:

I ... 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I will ask Steve's permission to summarize as we get later in the season and if he says, "no", I'll respect that and open a "B' thread.
    Absolutely, I'd recommend another thread too. This wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  :)]

I might give you the business about starting the thread too early and I sometimes disagree with the overall rating. But I am hardly representative of the overall season that the majority of skiers experience. You do a superb job with the recaps and trying to factor in everyone's input. I doubt I'd be as even handed and holistic as you have been on the summaries and ratings.

And Alex is most definitely accurate that I wouldn't bother even thinking about arbitrating a rating thread until at the least K shuts down though most likely not until my last run in Tux. :)]
    First xmas in a while without a meltdown...though the deep freeze coming is not helpful, despite the fact that the snow stays around.