Rating the 2017-2018 Season Versus the Last 11 Years

Comments

• If the GSE is ski on I'd call that less than a normal weekend. Dr Jeff your view?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

• "Generally disagree.  IMO in a good season, a 6" snowstorm provides more than a day or two of superb skiing."
    Ok, we will just have to disagree on that one. I don't EVER recall 6" of snow providing more than a day or two of superb skiing. Even at low traffic resorts 6" is long gone in 1-2 days regardless of temps. And even more so if those 6" fall on busy weekends of vacation weeks.

In fact, the 4" that fell at Cannon was great this morning, but completely skied off by 11am. What happens 2 days from now it is irrelevant to the snow that fell today.

I suspect we're arguing semantics.  While the virgin powder is gone in hours, the fresh snow works into the base without melting out in a day or two in a good season.  By tomorrow, Sunday's 6" will be gone with net loss of cover.  If we go back to the top season in the list,  there was no day above 35 between Christmas and Presidents Week.
  • ski_it said:

If the GSE is ski on I'd call that less than a normal weekend. Dr Jeff your view?

It was extremely windy at the summit yesterday. The Bluebird had plenty of customers that didn't want to face the wind.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited February 20

"Generally disagree.  IMO in a good season, a 6" snowstorm provides more than a day or two of superb skiing."
    Ok, we will just have to disagree on that one. I don't EVER recall 6" of snow providing more than a day or two of superb skiing. Even at low traffic resorts 6" is long gone in 1-2 days regardless of temps. And even more so if those 6" fall on busy weekends of vacation weeks.

In fact, the 4" that fell at Cannon was great this morning, but completely skied off by 11am. What happens 2 days from now it is irrelevant to the snow that fell today.
    I suspect we're arguing semantics.  While the virgin powder is gone in hours, the fresh snow works into the base without melting out in a day or two in a good season.  By tomorrow, Sunday's 6" will be gone with net loss of cover.  If we go back to the top season in the list,  there was no day above 35 between Christmas and Presidents Week.

Stratton, Mt Snow, Mad River Glen, Bolton Valley and Loon are on YouTube with webcams. Stratton has plenty of thin cover areas and Mad River Glen is melting fast with the single chair going up empty.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited February 20
    ski_it said:

If the GSE is ski on I'd call that less than a normal weekend. Dr Jeff your view?

My crew and I rode the GSE 4 or 5 times yesterday. It was windy, but the temps were comfy enough. Just a hard shell and a fleece coat over my base layer and I was fine - decent crowd, but apparently not as SLAMMED as it was Sunday (I was at Magic Sunday) and only slightly smaller in my opinion to the BIG crowd I skied in at Mount Snow on Saturday. Good sized crowd at Mount Snow today (Tuesday) with the outer parking lots over 2/3rds full - the rain last night and warm temps today are doing damage. The naturals are done until it snows a good foot. The snowmaking trails won't be as wide, but will make it through the next 36-48hrs or so....
  • edited February 20
    MTG is deserted with no waiting for the single chair person their webcam. I forgot that Nasoba Valley also has webcams on YouTube, also empty despite a sunny and warm day. Three chairs running and nobody on them.

• DrJeff said:

ski_it said:

My crew and I rode the GSE 4 or 5 times yesterday. It was windy, but the temps were comfy enough. Just a hard shell and a fleece coat over my base layer and I was fine - decent crowd, but apparently not as SLAMMED as it was Sunday (I was at Magic Sunday) and only slightly smaller in my opinion to the BIG crowd I skied in at Mount Snow on Saturday. Good sized crowd at Mount Snow today (Tuesday) with the outer parking lots over 2/3rds full - the rain last night and warm temps today are doing damage. The naturals are done until it snows a good foot. The snowmaking trails won't be as wide, but will make it through the next 36-48hrs or so....
    I was part of the Sunday slam. GSE was a five minute wait. Waited 28 minutes for Bluebird (family members insisted, so as they say, pick your battles). Saw a lot of sled rides

• DrJeff said:

ski_it said:

I'm glad I went yesterday, seems like it went from February 19th to April 1st overnight.

• edited March 19
    2017-8: No October skiing - Nov. 8 opening; credible Thanksgiving for bigger areas; fantastic snow at Xmas break but record low temps made the week an economic flop with most ski areas.  Killington Wildcat and other venerable giants of the industry, all closed for one or more days due to extreme cold. Jan. 10 started a 36-hour epic meltdown which turned MLK weekend into an economic disaster.  Just as surfaces were beginning to recover, another meltdown pretty much neutralized Presidents Week.  Most major storm following MLK day were followed by either rain or an extend meltdown.
    ---
    The forecasted blockbuster storm for Mar 7-9 will be great, but remember: 1" of snow in January lasts longer than 1' of snow in March.  I've got this season pegged at 7th or 8th place on the list.
  • JS updates the season recap before the best weekend of the season with another storm queued up for next week.  ;))

Up until last weekend, I was ready to write this season off as 3rd worst in the past dozen years. I had some great days in December. But really good days in December does not a great season make. But if we have an epic March (looks like that is the way things are going...) with half a dozen powder days or more, this season instantly jumps up to middle of the pack with potential for higher with good spring skiing in April. 

When was the last season we had a truly great spring skiing season with the majority of the weekends being sunny and good corn snow without an epic early meltdown? Feels like it has been years since we have had a really good spring with more good weekends than bad.
  • riverc0il said:

JS updates the season recap before the best weekend of the season with another storm queued up for next week.  ;))

Up until last weekend, I was ready to write this season off as 3rd worst in the past dozen years. I had some great days in December. But really good days in December does not a great season make. But if we have an epic March (looks like that is the way things are going...) with half a dozen powder days or more, this season instantly jumps up to middle of the pack with potential for higher with good spring skiing in April. 

When was the last season we had a truly great spring skiing season with the majority of the weekends being sunny and good corn snow without an epic early meltdown? Feels like it has been years since we have had a really good spring with more good weekends than bad.
    Steve is right.  I just recapped to date - and, to date, we agree it's 3 worst (although I had it as 8th best).

I hope that this storm provides more than 2 good days as we got out of the last storm and no intense heat or cold as was the case with the season's first major storm.

Steve has accurately pointed out, that I put heavy weight in my rating on how the season was for the economics of running a ski area. When you lose Xmas, MLK and Presidents Week, it would have to be an epic March/April/May to bring this season up to more than 7th for me. But time will tell. 
  • Don't worry, I'm still recovering from knee surgery and have to sit out the entire season.  Hence, without question, it will be one of the best March's in the history of skiing.  I must say the current snow situation begs for it though some folks hooked up nicely last night.

Quoting myself from February 5th, "one of the best March's in the history of skiing".  I think we're getting there, at least in Central Massachusetts.
  • Quoting myself from February 5th, "one of the best March's in the history of skiing".  I think we're getting there, at least in Central Massachusetts.
    Yup. Been snowing 7 days straight in NoVT at this point on top of the previous weekend's storm. I had to take today off due to a minor injury on Sunday. Otherwise, today would have been five powder days in less than a week for me (including a two footer) with more snow on the way and temps holding below average. 

The entire northeast is going off right now from MA to NY to VT to NH to ME. Most mountains are at or near 100% open. Still a lot more season to go but this week and last week definitely elevated the season to at least middle of the pack even if we don't have a great spring after the flakes finally stop falling.

Thanks for taking one for the team, bubblecuffer!
  • >>Thanks for taking one for the team, bubblecuffer!

My pleasure, er, well, sort of...

I guess the bad news is that next year I'll be back, full blast, and March will completely suck.  I'm actually considering ratcheting up my knee brace and going to Wachu for some easy runs on Ralphs.  Especially if the surface isn't too corned up.

What a manic ski season this one is.
  • edited March 15
    Today was one the best (maybe THE best) days I've had in over 30 years of skiing Cannon. And the past 6-7 days have been right up there too. I know this doesn't count for anything in this thread since it's mid-week in March on a season pass. None of which means anything to the "industry". But from this one skier's perspective....YeeeeeHawwwww
  • No question we are on track for a superb March.  Assuming that it remains good, I see this season as one or two below 2016-7 where we also had a great season post-March 1.  However, 2016-7 IMO was better because two of the three major holidays (Xmas and MLK) were pretty good.  So (again IMO), the season is getting closer to average.
  • Today was one the best (maybe THE best) days I've had in over 30 years of skiing Cannon. And the past 6-7 days have been right up there too. I know this doesn't count for anything in this thread since it's mid-week in March on a season pass. None of which means anything to the "industry". But from this one skier's perspective....YeeeeeHawwwww

Tramline video? Or some good Cannon pics? Mitt?
  • Mt Snow yesterday was excellent with very little ice and tons of snow. Definitely the best day of the season.

• edited March 18
    ciscokid said:

Tramline video? Or some good Cannon pics? Mitt?

Yes! I have a ton from the past week. It's so hard to upload pics and videos to this site (the size limits and functionality make it nearly impossible from a phone), but I will try when I can get to a desktop. I have a lot up at NMS and other sites if you ever check those out. I've skied the past 8 out of 10 days and all have been amazing!
  • edited March 18
    Here's one from Cannon on 3/16/18....
  • GAH! Somebody please explain an easy way to attach pics easily!  Link option doesn't work, attachments require resizing acrobatics.  10th try at this one, it's tiny now, hopefully it works.....

IMG_20180316_183346_724.jpg
    2216 x 2216 - 916K
  • GAH! Somebody please explain an easy way to attach pics easily!  Link option doesn't work, attachments require resizing acrobatics.  10th try at this one, it's tiny now, hopefully it works.....

On an iPhone you have to email yourself the pic and you can change the size of the file for the pic. Not sure on an Android phone

This is an issue.  I basically don't post pics anymore because of it, and no iphone so the email thing doesn't work.  Maybe someone has a solution for Droid or desktop users?
  • Pic has to be under 1Mb. There are apps for phones available to do resizing.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited April 27
    Riverc0il started with the last 11 years.  I'll start of this summary by eliminating 2006-7:
    ---
    2010-1: Good snow Xmas, MLK and pres. week. No January thaw to speak of.
    2012-3: While there was little snow in December and January, February and March were epic. The snow that did happen in December was right before Christmas week which was timely from an economic point-of-view. Same was true of the January snow with respect to MLK weekend. Although there was minimal early snowfall, there was a lot of good snowmaking weather in December. There were two nasty January thaws, but great mid-winter skiing right into April. Ski areas closing with 100% full-width open trails.
    2013-2014: The fact is, the season had a promising start, but two major meltdowns really put a damper on the season. Mad River Glen was all but shut down for a couple of weeks in January. January was unusually cold. We had a great Feb. vacation week, ending in a thaw that pretty much "firmed up" the surfaces followed by a major cold snap. The skiing in March was epic from Killington north and pretty good elsewhere. Superb skiing continued in April. Those in the Mid-Atlantic states might rate this season as #1.
    2016-7: Early season: Excellent, but only at Killington; Snowfall: Average to average plus; Economics: Excellent Christmas week both weather-wise and snow; MLK Weekend was excellent despite a generally poor January; February: Thru the 15th: epic; Presidents day thru Mar. 10 - gruesome, remainder of the season: Awesome; Killington makes it until June 1.
    2008-9: Early ice storm, superb Jan./Feb.
    2014-5: Early season: - No October skiing, but great from mid-November to mid-December; Christmas: Rain - pretty well killed the business for the week; January including MLK Weekend: Bad - not much snow, not much business; February: Unbelievably great snow, but record cold weather kept the crowds away; Late season was great with Killington going until Memorial Day.
    2017-8: No October skiing - Nov. 8 opening; credible Thanksgiving for bigger areas; fantastic snow at Xmas break but record low temps made the week an economic flop with most ski areas.  Killington, Wildcat and other venerable giants of the industry, all closed for one or more days due to extreme cold. Jan. 10 started a 36-hour epic meltdown which turned MLK weekend into an economic disaster.  Just as surfaces were beginning to recover, another meltdown pretty much neutralized Presidents Week.  Most major storm following MLK day were followed by either rain or an extend meltdown. March and April have been epic. (What will May and June bring?)
    2007-8: Lots of rain and temp swings
    2009-10: slow start to season, early ending
    2011-2: After October blockbuster storm, almost no natural snow all season. While the skiing was adequate on snowmaking trails, natural snow glade skiing and other aspects of the sport that involved natural snow, never materialized
    2015-6: After a flurry of mid-October skiing at Killington and Sunday River, things went dead for 3 weeks or so. December was one of the warmest in history with almost no snowmaking opportunities.  Much of ski country did not even open until after Christmas. The absence of natural snow has minimized glade skiing. Mad River was open a grand total of 45 days and 1/3 of those were Practice Slope only.  Killington ran until May 29 despite receiving only 1/3 of its normal snow total. Most areas closed 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual.  A few old timers remember seasons this bad but not in the last 10 years.
  • This is why you can't issue grades until its over.  This season has made an awesome come back and if JB is correct should go deep into April. I'm not even going to have to go to the Catskills this weekend to get in my solo day.  CBK is still at 100%, never thought that would be.  Stratton was great this past weekend, had plenty of snow and there was no melting going on.  They are scheduled to close the 8th but there is talk of going an extra weekend and If it there so am I.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • 4aprice said:

This is why you can't issue grades until its over.  

:-bd  \:D/
  • Last March was almost identical to this March, so this season is at least one notch below last season IMO.  In a season that spans 6 months, one month doesn't make for a great season.
  • Last March was almost identical to this March, so this season is at least one notch below last season IMO.  In a season that spans 6 months, one month doesn't make for a great season.

I can't dispute that because I was out west last March and April. So I don't have notes on the conditions spring 2017 here.  I also don't have a recollection of 08-09. 
    In general I think you have this season listed approximately in the right place as of today.  If the next few weeks are decent it should move up a notch.  If the next 4-6 weeks are decent it could move up as much as 3 notches. 
  • 4aprice said:

This is why you can't issue grades until its over.  ....

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    If you notice your kids' report cards, obviously schools don't agree.  I don't know what they do now,  but when I was a kid, we got report cards every 5-weeks.