Wachusetts when do lifts open

skizillaskizilla novice
What time do the lifts start spinning at Wachusett and do they still sell out on busy days

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,120
    Wow their mobile site bites. I can't even find the hours for tomorrow. Snocountry says 9am-10pm weekdays 8am-10pm weekends. I'd have to guess holiday week is 8am. I have not heard of them selling out .
    They have a December Vacation Week Schedule of events and they don't put the hours there either.
    I guess you'll have to wait until they update their snow report or call them. They are open until 10.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,120
    I emailed them and they replied that sorry they hadn't updated the hours since they started normal operations. Now site says:
    HOURS
    Weekdays 9 am - 10 pm
    Weekends/ Holidays  8 am - 10 pm

Hours may vary during early & late season - Please check the Snow Report for the current hours of operation
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    On a good weather-and-snow weekend, during the season after the first of the year,  Wachusett often fills all three of its parking lots. They run shuttle buses from the lower lots. On those days the mountain is crowded. Last week, Friday, I think, the upper lot was full. It's a popular, convenient place for a lot of skiers in southeastern and central New England, even though there are many skiers who don'y like it for that reason.
    Short answer: Yes, it sometimes does sell out.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Web cam shows pretty busy, but not ridiculous. Snow looks good.
  • tededetedede advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 161
    When Wawa sells out they've suggested folks continue up to Crotched.  It's about 75 minutes north according to google.

Not sure how long Wawa's lift lines get when they sell out, but for Crotched it's a rare day when we hit 5 minutes.  Most weekends it's a minute or three.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    tedede said:

When Wawa sells out they've suggested folks continue up to Crotched.  It's about 75 minutes north according to google.

Not sure how long Wawa's lift lines get when they sell out, but for Crotched it's a rare day when we hit 5 minutes.  Most weekends it's a minute or three.
    Let me add that when the lift line hits even close to 5 minutes on the Rocket, there is still no line on the Valley Quad.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    When all the parking lots are full, WAWA might do that. The problem is that many people don't know the way to Crotched. so they wander all over the countryside (very pretty countryside) to find it. Lots of two-lane roads. I've learned the way and have made it in a few minutes less than an hour on occasion.
    And the no-lines-at-Crotched story is true in my experience. However,  one Friday morning as I drove in I was followed by about seven school buses, loaded with junior high and high school kids. They said they were on a field trip. I know that I'm older than dirt, but when I was in school  our field trips, if any, were to museums and the like. Even that day with all those kids the lift lines were short to non-existant.  I've always found Crotched to be a pleasant skiing experience, if a bit out of the way.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Back in 1992, our family went to Wachusett on a Saturday in February - we arrived by 9am, and they were completely full and sold out. We ended up going to Temple in NH instead - which I'm glad that I did, as that was the only time I got to ski there.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,246
    NELSAP said:

Back in 1992, our family went to Wachusett on a Saturday in February - we arrived by 9am, and they were completely full and sold out. We ended up going to Temple in NH instead - which I'm glad that I did, as that was the only time I got to ski there.

How bout a belated 25 yr old trip report?
    Between you and Josh we should get an idea what it was like
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 368
    It was a fun mountain. Definitely quirky - the base lodge was a bit of a hike from the parking lot. The quad was a Borvig and was essentially two doubles. The double chair was from Diamond Hill originally, then it went to Watatic. I don't remember if the T-bar was operating. Interesting terrain with a lot of tree islands, trails with intersections, and some longer open slopes. It skied bigger than its 450' vertical would have suggested.

And did it grow in fast! Once abandoned, it only took about 5-7years for the trails to become completely overgrown.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Wow that was fast
    Now Josh your memories?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Ok back to the thread- I can't believe how pitiful some of these ski area websites are on the basic information. Price, hours and directions.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

Ok back to the thread- I can't believe how pitiful some of these ski area websites are on the basic information. Price, hours and directions.

Agree - and the areas pay a lot for them.  My feeling has always been that an up-to-date website is far better and/or more useful than a spiffy hi-tech one.