abandoned Nebraska Ski Area

bmwskierbmwskier expert
in The Pit Posts: 521
Found this video--- great shooting. Never knew they had skiing in Nebraska. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    42.79611°N, 97.71623°W for those interested.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I looked at the topo and it seems hopeless as a ski area, regardless of luxury-resort pretensions. The lift appears more than 2,000 feet long with only about 300 vertical feet. A long extremely flat section with half of the vertical in the last few hundred feet of lift length.
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    The comments and discussion under the article that Cisco posted were fascinating--- a real delving into trespassing, legality and people's memories of the place before and after they put the lifts in. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • obienickobienick expert
    2750 x 350 per 1971 SAM ski lift instalation survey.
  • AzSkiAzSki intermediate
    I went skiing there once in 1971 when I lived in Nebraska.  The chairlift seemed to be running pretty slow even though it was very uncrowded.  The trails were very wide open and gentle-sloping like much of Nebraska.  There were very few trees back then. Spectators outnumbered the skiers.  I recall that the ski area lasted only two years.