Will lifts close b/c of cold?

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,127
I know Sugarbush does not run Slide Brook when it is this cold (and there is a specific temperature limit, though I don't know it), since evac would take so long. At what point will ski areas close lifts b/c the risk of exposure is just too great, or do they run at all costs and rider beware? Or do they use "wind hold" as code for "It is too freaking cold for us to run this in good conscience so we won't".

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier expert
    It's a balance. In 35 years of patrolling I've known us to close a lift only once due to extreme cold, and that was only b/c there was also no one there. We post warnings, advise to go in and get warm and protect the guest as much as possible. The public expects lifts to spin if there's coverage and there's always some die hard skier who will look like Neil Armstrong ready to go if there's no wind. 

Wind is always the big deal-- not just for cold but also for lift safety. Can't afford to trip a breaker bar in sub zero and expect an evac not to go without a lot of unneeded hardship. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • obienickobienick expert
    I read on the Killington report that they put Canyon on hold for "exposure concerns" the first day of the cold snap (the day before all the wind holds).
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The reality is that maybe half the people on any given COLD day will head the warnings to cover up any exposed skin..... On COLD days like today and tomorrow, I think it makes sense for a resort to "Big Brother" some guests and not run certain lifts where the ride time and/or wind angle makes frost bite a valid concern for those not 100% covered up....
    Whaleback opened two hours late today because of the cold. Dartmouth closed the Holt's Ledge Double because of the cold. Bolton closed Vista at one point.
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    The following areas in NH either closed early, closed one or more lifts, or even closed for the day in the last week.
    Closed early: Bretton Woods, Crotched Mtn.
    Many close lifts simply because of absence of crowds, especially ones that duplicate trails covered by other lifts
    Closed all day: Wildcat

I note that yesterday, most of the major lifts at Stowe were closed due to the extreme cold.

My guess is that Patrols are concerned that if a mechanical failure occurs on a cold day, there is danger to those stuck on the lift if an evac is required.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NE Slopes closed b/c of cold, and they only have surface lifts: http://www.northeastslopes.org/Home_Page.php

Will reopen with great snow when things moderate, but they missed a key holiday period
  • edited January 1 Posts: 2,344
    Bradford won't be opening for night skiing tonight due to cold.
    - Sam
    Anybody ridden M1 at Smuggler's Notch in the last week? 

That must have been horrific today...especially this morning. Wow.
  • teighsteighs intermediate

Yes, 12/30 it ran all day, from 10:00 to about 2pm it was actually quite pleasant:  sunny and no wind.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    teighs said:

Yes, 12/30 it ran all day, from 10:00 to about 2pm it was actually quite pleasant:  sunny and no wind.
    teighs said:

I know you were busy skiing but with the slow Halls did you happen to snap any pictures to share?

I just thought this was a nice snow laden treeimage
    IMG_3289.JPG
    320 x 240 - 76K
  • tededetedede advanced
    I was at Sunday River on a bus trip about 15 years ago.  Base temp was -20 without the wind chill.  

They ended up running the some of the HSQs at half speed due to traction issues in the terminals.  
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Someone told me that Wachusett shut down on one night, or maybe more than one night, because of the cold. I have no idea whether that is true or not. Does anyone here know?
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    ciscokid said:

I know you were busy skiing but with the slow Halls did you happen to snap any pictures to share?

Slow?  The upper mountain Halls run at the same speed as the Skyline lift at Sugarloaf, 500 fpm.  No pictures.
    teighs said:

ciscokid said:

Slow?  The upper mountain Halls run at the same speed as the Skyline lift at Sugarloaf, 500 fpm.  No pictures.
    Agreed. M1 cooks along for a FG. Faster than the upper lifts at Sugarbush...
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    When I skied at Sugarloaf in January 2009, it was -35F with all of the lifts running that where needed.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• 4aprice4aprice advanced
    A couple of lasting images from this past weekend and New Years day.

Fireplace and Hot Chocolate at the Summit Lodge at Sunapee

We found this in the Basement of the Sugar House at Okemo on Monday.  It worked wonders for both Gloves and boots.  Every lodge should have one.  Allowed me to complete 5 more runs then I probably would have.

The Sunrise Bubble at Okemo.  The only reason we were able to ski Monday.  Snow was great but the wind was ouch.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    IMG_2150.jpg
    420 x 307 - 35K
    IMG_2171.jpg
    367 x 278 - 21K
    IMG_2172.jpg
    366 x 275 - 20K
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Recent local news article: Link

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) With many people on vacation this week, and kids off from school, naturally it's the perfect time to hit up a local mountain. But is it safe in these conditions?

Bromley Mountain in Peru, Vermont, shut down its main chairlift and evacuated 115 skiers on Christmas Day. The ski resort confirmed high winds made the chair stop. As of Thursday morning, the lift remained closed.

At Killington and Pico Resort, officials say lifts can be temporarily closed for a combination of freezing temps and strong winds. They say lift attendants are expected to keep an eye out for signs of frostbite.

At Bolton Valley, officials say they haven't had to shut down a lift in recent years, but because night skiing is offered it's necessary to keep an eye on freezing temperatures. If there is a 30-minute frostbite warning-- or minus 19-degree wind chill-- the upper lift will shut down. If the wind chill dips below minus 34, all lifts will be closed.

Every mountain has their own set of rules, so if you do plan on heading to the slopes, check resort websites or call ahead before going.

Sorry I forgot there are high speed fixed
    Just jealous I wasn't there
    No offense intended
    Actually love the fact Smuggs has them good ol Halls!
  • QuietmanQuietman intermediate
    Rumor is that midnight madness is off for the Crotch this weekend, can't blame them.  
    Quietman said:

Rumor is that midnight madness is off for the Crotch this weekend, can't blame them.  

I heard that too, but haven't seen it posted officially anywhere. With Fri. and Sat. night forecasts at below -10, it would make sense.  It's a shame to have snow this good with weather that is keeping the crowds away.
    edited January 6 Posts: 1,127
    Sugarbush has closed all upper-mountain lifts today b/c of cold. 

MRG has $59 "Chilly Willy" tickets today and no single chair..
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Nothing running at Whiteface

Gore is running Sunway and carpets only

Smuggs' all of Madonna closed

Bromley lower half mountain only

Stratton looking to open Villager, American Express and a carpet. But, the NE Patriots Cheerleaders are there today

That's just a few, but you get a sense of what to expect today.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    Killington closed today. From their conditions page:

11:43 am 01/06/18--After much consideration here at Killington
    Resort, we have decided that, in the interest of safety for guests and
    staff, we will not open today. With temperatures well below zero and
    winds gusting to 45 mph, the wind chill is at least 50 below zero; it's
    just too cold to put folks out there.

That said, Pico Mountain does have lower mountain lifts
    running today, thanks to it's more sheltered aspect. All Killington
    tickets and passes are valid at Pico. Remember though, that it's still
    very cold at Pico, please take cold weather precautions if you'll be
    outside today at all.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 7 Posts: 2,114

Wildcat was closed today Saturday 1/6/2018

"Wildcat will be closed on Saturday, January 6 due to extreme cold temperatures and high winds resulting in wind chill values well below -50. Our priority is the safety of our guests and employees. We'd love to operate as planned but we simply do not have the cooperation from Mother Nature. We plan to be back open on Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. for Youth Day!"

Bolton was down to one chair. http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Cold-continues-to-affect-ski-areas-468224083.html

"How cold is the latest brutal blast of arctic air? In New Hampshire, the summit of the Mount Washington registered minus 36 Saturday morning, with a wind chill of minus 94, tying for the second coldest place in the world."

Belleayre Mountain ran limited terrain.

I didn't ski today, still mulling over whether to go tomorrow or not.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Wow
  • loafasaurloafasaur intermediate
    The philosophy at Sugarloaf is, if the wind isn't blowing hard enough to shut down the lift, then it isn't really cold.

I once rode up a chair at the Loaf with a guy who was complaining about how cold it was.  He'd just arrived from Utah.  I explained, "Eastern skiing is Calvinist skiing."

I thought the guy would fall out of the chair laughing.
    -27 this morning on the way to Smuggs. Got up to a balmy +7 by 3:30. No M1 much of the day; they ran M2 after about 11 am. I saw M1 running but don't know if it opened.

Glad this spell is over.
  • IrishskierIrishskier novice

No.  Was closed 12/31.  M2 was COLD!