Ski Areas that CLOSE BETWEEN DAY and NIGHT SKIING (4-6 pm) and RE GROOM

edited January 2 in NELSAP Forum
I just see on the Bradford thread they close and re groom the slopes between day and night sessions. I know Nubs Nob does this also.

Any others?

Comments

• Mt Holly on weekends and holidays close from 5:30-6.
  • Mt Brighton used to close also from 5:30-6 but I never saw them grooom much at all. I think it was a way to get the day ticket people off the hill
  • Sugar NC closes to groom and reopens at 6.
  • Not a hijack, but didn't Crotched do a "noon groom" one season? Closed individual trails as they groomed them, reopening when cat moved to another trail
  • Not a hijack, but didn't Crotched do a "noon groom" one season? Closed individual trails as they groomed them, reopening when cat moved to another trail

This was long before Peak Resorts resurrected CM.

Back in the 70s and 80s, many areas did it including Gunstock, CM and a bunch of others that are not coming to mind.  The machine made snow of that era iced up much faster and much worse than the modern snowmaking/grooming snow.
  • Butternut used to noon groom too.
  • Woodbury also use to close the chair before day and night session. They would leave a rope tow running on the lower slope so you could have continued skiing until the chair reopened.
  • edited January 2
    Catamount did a pre night groom. Closed the summit for grooming for an hour or so. The lower lifts stayed open. I'm not sure if they do this anymore, or not.

Not that I remembered.  I skied the East side from 1976 to close and the west side from 1986 to close and don't remember that.  Perhaps it happened when it was Onset or Bobcat.
  • tedede said:

Not a hijack, but didn't Crotched do a "noon groom" one season? Closed individual trails as they groomed them, reopening when cat moved to another trail

Not that I remembered.  I skied the East side from 1976 to close and the west side from 1986 to close and don't remember that.  Perhaps it happened when it was Onset or Bobcat.
    I'll look around. i have a trail map somewhere that advertised the "noon groom"...might not have been Crotched.
  • tedede said:

Not a hijack, but didn't Crotched do a "noon groom" one season? Closed individual trails as they groomed them, reopening when cat moved to another trail

I'll look around. i have a trail map somewhere that advertised the "noon groom"...might not have been Crotched.
    I believe it was Gunstock.
  • tedede said:

I remember them doing a PM groom on what is now Moon Walk (1987).  It got almost unskiably icy back then.