Another hazard for Skiers - Owls

ski_itski_it expert
edited January 12 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,887
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    And I thought the problem was snow snakes.  :-)

• ski_itski_it expert
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    If you haven't seen it, the video of a grouse attacking a kid on a groomed XC trail is pretty wild!

Who would think nordic would be so hazardous!

I enjoy it, although many of my alpine friends say that it's for the birds.    
    :D
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 12 Posts: 1,887

They need one of the hats with the eyes in the back of the head.

Old story, after a big snow season several years ago I was out back in the state forest pretty much skiing anywhere I wanted. I headed down this one good incline and at the bottom (I think I may have fallen) I looked up and there's this huge great horned owl staring down at me from up in a big tree. I went back up and did the run again. Still the owl didn't budge. Against my better judgement (normally I would leave wildlife alone especially in adverse conditions) I decided to get a closer look. He had enough and flew off. Well, I didn't say it was a good story, did I?

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    edited January 14 Posts: 387
    Well, that owl certainly thinks big when it comes to nailing a meal. Saw a snowy owl once in Alleghany State Park while snowshoeing. Easily the most surreal and beautiful bird I've seen. Took off and flew through a field against a pine background-- utterly silent and just glided about 30 feet above the snow. 

As for that grouse-- he's lucky he didn't turn into something stuffed on the table that night. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump