One Killed, One Injured Sledding at Sunday River

Teen Killed, 2 Others Injured in Sledding Accident at Sunday River Ski Resort in Maine

By Danielle Waugh

Published 24 minutes ago | Updated 9 minutes ago

Officials say one teenager died and two others were injured during an after-hours sledding excursion on a closed ski trail at Maine's Sunday River resort.
Sunday River spokeswoman Darcy Lambert said at least one of the three was taken to the hospital after the crash around 2 a.m. Wednesday. She characterized the injuries as serious.
Sledding is not allowed on ski trails, and the mountain was closed at the time.
Lambert declined to identify the three victims other than to say that they were out-of-state guests
The three were sledding on the Tempest Trail, which is steeper than most sledding hills. Part of it is rated as a black diamond for expert skiers, and part is rated as a blue for intermediate skiers.
Sunday River, located in Newry, Maine, is one of the state's largest and most popular ski resorts.

https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/3-Injured-During-Illicit-Sledding-Excursion-at-Sunday-River-Ski-Resort-469738863.html
- Sam

Comments

• that's sad.  thanks for letting us know 

• Sorry to hear, but it sounds like Darwin's Law was in
    effect, maybe John Barleycorn too. 

My folks owned a vacation home in the mtns near Blue Knob
    ski area in Western PA back in the 70s and 80s. 
    We used to take a wooden toboggan out on a steepish hillside at the farm
    across the street.  Couldn't steer that
    thing worth a dang and it went pretty fast in the right conditions.  At the end of the ride the two or three of us
    on the toboggan would bail off it and plop into the snow because the farm property
    ended at a barbed wire fence.  You didn't
    want to be riding that toboggan went it hit the barbed wire at speed.  Some nights it was a dark ride.  We were lucky Darwin didn't get us too.

• Do they still have part of Tempest set aside for tubing?
  • JimK said:

At the end of the ride the two or three of us
    on the toboggan would bail off it and plop into the snow because the farm property
    want to be riding that toboggan went it hit the barbed wire at speed.  

nice to know I wasn't the only one to point a toboggan at a barbed wire fence

• We used to use trays from the Middle Chalet down Yodeler before night skiing. Even got our picture in the Buffalo Evening News. We then moved onto sleds and would try to make a jump into the creek that used to be at the bottom between the patrol room and the Middle Chalet. 

Of course then we still used runaway straps and I still can feel the cut on my head from where my ski came up and hit me in a wipe out. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • JimK said:

At the end of the ride the two or three of us
    want to be riding that toboggan went it hit the barbed wire at speed.  

nice to know I wasn't the only one to point a toboggan at a barbed wire fence
    Many a snowmobiler lost his life that way
  • Too bad.  No cure for stupidity, but I'm sure the guy's loved ones won't see it that way.. 
  • Pretty late for sliding. I'd like to know how all three got involved in the crash. I suppose a toboggan and the one who was killed hit his head?
  • Please be kind to the kids, fellow NELSAPers.  We were all kids once, and I know I did some things....well, I wouldn't do them now.  Our hearts must go out to the families.
  • Heartbreak no matter what. Too young to die as no parent should ever have to bury their child. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited January 18
    I agree wholeheartedly loafasaur
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."

Oh yeah I had some legendary (in my mind) crashes as a kid. I was waxing & tuning sleds & tobaggans begore I had skis. Although these plastic sleds and tubes these days I feel go much faster. Back then we rarely had packed slopes so today's ski slopes would have been manna. But I can recall more than one year when there was heavy freezing rain over a foot or more of snow. The resulting crust was so rigid we could drive bicycles on it and put our Flexible Flyers into power slides. That's also when I learned that you can't jump a stream with a Flex Flyer. Ouch.

Edit: It was a tube.
    http://mainepublic.org/post/nh-teen-dies-sledding-accident-sunday-river-resort-another-teen-injured#stream/0
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited January 18
    So sad indeed.  Have to agree with ski_it:  "There, but for the grace of God go I."

I did lots of sledding on our sidewalk and street in Pittsfield, MA.  Great fun for sure, but sometimes scary.  The closest call, though, was for our son and his cousin, both around 12 years old at the time.  They were the typical bored teenagers one afternoon when we were at Wintergreen VA; the two guys went sliding on hunks of cardboard on the edge of a ski run.  A maintenance staffer told them to leave.  We, of course, warned them of the dangers. That evening we overheard them making plans to return to the slopes once the 3 adults had gone to sleep.

We hid their boots.
  • I recall a sliding death at Sugarbush a while ago- folks used bean bag chairs on the beginner slope. Bad interaction with immovable object (lift tower/tree/hydrant). Does not take much for all to go wrong...
  • I used to take the tower pads off and go down on them. Never did think about what If?
  • Long ago 1990s, we used to tobbagan on the lower slope in front of the Jay tram and the one from the condos after hours. No one ever said anything that I can recall. Of course we never went that high up or that fast.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • While in high school in the late 60’s, we took trays from cafeteria,
    walked up a modest slope and road down. This was at Hidden Valley, PA, killing
    time between day and night skiing.

As a pastor, I built snow tubing courses (3) for the youth
    group. The plow service would push extra snow to the starting mounds at the edge
    of the parking lot. There were banked turns and jumps. The middle course ended
    with a 2 ½’ dirt mound with 4x8 plywood sheets strapped sideways on top almost
    vertically. Riders go up the mound at an angle then up the plywood. Then they
    would either slide or tumble backwards. Of course, I tested all courses for safety
    first. One night the middle course was very fast. It was a great ride. I leaned
    back perfectly to go up the boards (rather than bang into). I went up and didn’t
    stop. I went up and over at least 6 ½’ and landed in the woods beyond. I think
    I landed on the tube unharmed. I don’t recall if the tube survived.

• We'd take trays at where I did undergrad.  We'd have January devoted to unique projects. You had to do 3 in your 4 years and 2 or more had to be on campus. We'd take a tray for ourselves during finals period of fall semesters and they'd be returned by March.  We'd slide down the man-made fill from excavation of the pool complex.  Was once the highest point in that county until the BFI landfill took that crown.
  • I have a buddy who owned a townhouse at Stratton right by the Villager double during the 1980s and 1990s. It is all green terrain. We used break out his toboggan right after skiing all the time. Sometimes we would break out the toboggan after Mulligan's or the Red Fox.

In the early 1980s, I participated in night skiing at Stowe on Spruce despite the lack of night skiing lights. The lift we used that night was a 1973 Buick Estate wagon.

;)
  • Headfirst very dangerous image
    IMG_3484.JPG
    380 x 237 - 29K