Weather pattern

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 978
Any of the weather experts on this board have info on when this horrible pattern will shift? Looks like soaking blowtorch tomorrow, followed by deep freeze, followed by warm and rainy on weekend. No meaningful accumulating snow in NE.

Really need some dumps. Hope things change to something more amenable to snow and snowmaking temps without meltdowns following.

Comments

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    We will settle back into a snowier and cooler weather pattern beggining on or around Feb 3-5th
    ~Rich~
  • 4aprice4aprice advanced
    ADKskier said:

We will settle back into a snowier and cooler weather pattern beggining on or around Feb 3-5th

January Thaw.  Not sure about the dates but agree with the reloading of cold coming and still think the best is yet to come.

In the mean time, did enjoy skiing this past weekend without 50 million layers on.  Fingers crossed that we can avoid the rain predicted for next Sunday and get in 2 more next weekend.  Also sitting back and cheering on the west and hoping things start getting good there for March trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    4aprice said:

ADKskier said:

January Thaw.  Not sure about the dates but agree with the reloading of cold coming and still think the best is yet to come.

In the mean time, did enjoy skiing this past weekend without 50 million layers on.  Fingers crossed that we can avoid the rain predicted for next Sunday and get in 2 more next weekend.  Also sitting back and cheering on the west and hoping things start getting good there for March trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
    The real mess is tomorrow. Whether areas light up guns again to repair is a question with the warm and wet weekend ahead. Hopefully not as much rain as forecast during either event.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited January 22 Posts: 615
    Nowhere near as bad as the previous two days of 50+ degrees and 2-3" of rain. Snowmaking temps directly following for 3 days. Still, not pretty and I've had enough of it.

4aprice said:

ADKskier said:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
    The real mess is tomorrow. Whether areas light up guns again to repair is a question with the warm and wet weekend ahead. Hopefully not as much rain as forecast during either event.
    Perspective time here.  Question, do you like spring conditions? I'm a huge fan.

My perspective is that the thaw is most likely temporary.  I don't discount that the weather could go any direction, but many times in the past, and according to people in the field who I follow, the cold is reloading for a good Feb-March-April stretch.  In my over 50 years of skiing her in the Northeast, this seems to me to be pretty typical behavior, so no panic. 

Granted, the natural is out of play for a while, but I skied down here in the Pocono's this weekend and the snowmaking trails are loaded with cover and some 50-60 degree days and rain are not going to kill it, it takes a lot more then that.  

If we an avoid the rain on the weekend, I would soak up a nice spring skiing weekend in January.  Throw in some bumps and drinks on the deck (pass the tanning butter) and I would be in heaven.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    4aprice said:

4aprice said:

ADKskier said:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
    Perspective time here.  Question, do you like spring conditions? I'm a huge fan.

My perspective is that the thaw is most likely temporary.  I don't discount that the weather could go any direction, but many times in the past, and according to people in the field who I follow, the cold is reloading for a good Feb-March-April stretch.  In my over 50 years of skiing her in the Northeast, this seems to me to be pretty typical behavior, so no panic. 

Granted, the natural is out of play for a while, but I skied down here in the Pocono's this weekend and the snowmaking trails are loaded with cover and some 50-60 degree days and rain are not going to kill it, it takes a lot more then that.  

If we an avoid the rain on the weekend, I would soak up a nice spring skiing weekend in January.  Throw in some bumps and drinks on the deck (pass the tanning butter) and I would be in heaven.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I never suggested it was out of the ordinary- I have lived in NE for over 30 years and I get it. I was just curious about whether the pros see a change soon, since this is getting tiresome. Yes, I like spring conditions, but in March and April, not now when a big holiday period is looming and most areas basically lost out on the previous 2 big ones. Now I like it to snow so the ski areas and associated businesses (who are bleeding money this year due to extremes of weather) can catch a break. 

4aprice said:

4aprice said:

ADKskier said:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I never suggested it was out of the ordinary- I have lived in NE for over 30 years and I get it. I was just curious about whether the pros see a change soon, since this is getting tiresome. Yes, I like spring conditions, but in March and April, not now when a big holiday period is looming and most areas basically lost out on the previous 2 big ones. Now I like it to snow so the ski areas and associated businesses (who are bleeding money this year due to extremes of weather) can catch a break. 
    Think by the time we get to the holiday period things will be better.  Gotta to be tough one industry wide this year with the woes of the west and brutal cold here.  This past weekend was good and busy Saturday but Sunday not so much which surprised me.  NFL maybe?  

Would also add that along with Presidents Week and the school breaks there is also a Spring Break surge in March at some resorts so still some opportunity for the resorts to get visits.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • slathamslatham advanced

The January thaw was well advertised by long range teleconnections, models and forecasters. Those same sources are showing strong consensus for the pattern to start shifting once into February and specifically in the Feb 5-10 zone. The colder pattern could lock in for a long stay as well.

Doesn't mean it can't snow while overall warmer than average, just like it can R#@! in an otherwise cold pattern.

#bestpartofwintertocome

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited January 22 Posts: 827
    Im not sure there will be much snowmaking this late week, considering the warm-up next weekend. I'm hearing that the rain next weekend may be light. I'm supposed to go night skiing at Berkshire East on Friday. I actually like frozen groomer, it's easier for me to ski than soft snow.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Huge rain right now in CVT....wow...