Take a ride up the Mont Gabriel 1952 Constam T-bar

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 302
Riding up the T-bar on Jan 21, 2018

On the 21st, I had the chance to ride an amazing T-bar at Mont Gabriel in Quebec. This is a 1952 Constam, still in operation after 65 years. I believe it is one of, if not the oldest T-bar in the province and the east. I could be wrong. It used to be a double T-bar, but only the right side (riding up) is left.

It is a fast ride, just 3 min to the top, and faster than its parallel triple chair. They only run it during busy periods. The last 200-300' of length of the T-bar is quite steep. One trail intersects it halfway up.

Enjoy! (sorry no eclair eating)

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited January 23 Posts: 1,994
    AWESOME JD!
    Those towers are lattice lovers dream work!
    And to have 2 side by side? WHOA!

Thanks, hope your vacation to Q uebec has been everything you expected

Incidentally before Ibrake4tbars chimes in with his superlatives, I was a little disappointed we didn't stop in to lost Mt Mancelona Sunday on the way home from the Boyne's, there is a I believe still operable Doppylmayr T BAR that is literally at most 2 miles off the road home. So in all honesty I think Ibrake4tbars should add " most of the time " to his handle.

Those overhead crossing t bar holder things are so cool looking, were Roebling's similar styling?

Lift nut Conrad was saying something about Constam Sunday when I had him 3 hrs to myself. He also brought up the "teardrop" Poma chair saying, correct me if I'm wrong Conrad, they had design flaws or safety issues. I reminded him that the Hall gothic cathedral was in the same boat.⛷⛷⛷
    Yea I like that trail intersection , YIELD TO ONCOMING T BAR RIDERS!
    How do you say that in French?
    That's a very similar setup to what we have at Bradford, a lattice Mueller T-bar runs alongside a Borving triple. The T-bar is faster, but only operates after school.image
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1944 - 754K
    ciscokid said:

AWESOME JD!
    Those towers are lattice lovers dream work!
    And to have 2 side by side? WHOA!

Thanks, hope your vacation to Q uebec has been everything you expected

Incidentally before Ibrake4tbars chimes in with his superlatives, I was a little disappointed we didn't stop in to lost Mt Mancelona Sunday on the way home from the Boyne's, there is a I believe still operable Doppylmayr T BAR that is literally at most 2 miles off the road home. So in all honesty I think Ibrake4tbars should add " most of the time " to his handle.

Those overhead crossing t bar holder things are so cool looking, were Roebling's similar styling?

Lift nut Conrad was saying something about Constam Sunday when I had him 3 hrs to myself. He also brought up the "teardrop" Poma chair saying, correct me if I'm wrong Conrad, they had design flaws or safety issues. I reminded him that the Hall gothic cathedral was in the same boat.⛷⛷⛷

It’s not that I wouldn’t have liked to seen the lost Doppelmayr but I my knee was in pain and I was tired from lack of sleep. Just getting in and out of the Jeep hurt and that made the thought of going up to the old t-bar not very enticing.

Next time I’m there we’ll stop there.

IBRAKE
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Classic and cool, Jeremy!

Darn you, though.  I thought I had pretty much skied the "big ski regions" of QC, having made 2 week-long trips to the Eastern Townships and then a trip to the Quebec City area with a 2nd on deck for this season.  Yes there's still Tremblant and MSS, plus the Gaspe region...

...but I had no idea how many ski areas were packed into the Laurentians north of Montreal.  I was vaguely aware but hadn't counted.  What did you say, something like 18 within an hour's drive?  And most (if not all) are open weekdays, have inexpensive half-day tickets, and offer night skiing!?!

Most of your photos show another ski area ... or two ... or three ... in the distance.  So I've just informed my wife that we may well have a reason to explore some new territory in Quebec in a future year.  We'll see.  *-:) ;) :D 

I forgot: did you guys hit up Tremblant this trip or focus exclusively on the other areas on this expedition extraordinaire? 

Woody
    I fully understand and in retrospect with the tow delay it worked out providentially and of course we were hungry and had a projected hour and a half or two drive ahead.

But the question could have been raised can we see the t from the seating"comfort" of the Jeep. It's all good my friend , I have seen it up close. Still hoping to ride the Poma T at Hanson Hills.

Still nothing compares to the beauty of this Constam double T
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Right, 1952 would be older than the Bateau T-bar at Sugarloaf (also by Constam). I never liked riding single on the rope-type versions; they twist and give you a sideways vector inclining you to slide off. The #5 T-bar at Sugarloaf (alongside Upper Ramdown) used to be the piston type and they changed it to rope-type around 1973; I don't think I ever rode it single after the change. Probably the change was to cope with the snow depth.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Hi Woody, oh yes, you will have to go to the Saint Sauveur region! We loved it - the culture,the food, the scenery, and the skiing was great. Yes - most mountains were on the smaller side, 400-700' vert and a few dozen trails. But they were ghost towns midweek. Our average ticket price was $21 US/day!!!

We did not get to Tremblant. With so many areas within 20 min, there was no need to drive an hour. We saved over $100 that way - and put it into some amazing meals out. There are indeed 18 areas within an hour's drive. About 12 within 30 min. The ski areas literally surround you and it was fun looking at them all from different angles. And you can ski multiple ones in the same day if you are ambitious.

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Hi Ciscokid, glad you liked the video! It's a fast lift too, just 3 min to top. I would wager that it goes faster than the standard 500'/min - maybe 600-700'/min.
  • KayakerKayaker intermediate
    Glad you enjoyed it.  This is an upside down area with the hotel at the top.  In the late 1960s I stayed there as a kid with my family for three consecutive Christmas vacations and that's where I learned to ski. I remember it being pretty steep at the top.  I honestly don't remember that t-bar although I must have ridden it.  At that time t- bars were just not that unusual.  I do remember a center pole chairlift with horizontally swinging safety bar and footrest (a riblet?) that you disembarked without a down ramp.  The chair ended in a flat area and skier in the right seat had to step to the side and let the chair pass before they moved behind it over to the left.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Why have T-Bars gone to rope vs. the telescoping bar?  When I rode solo the Telegraph T-Bar at Bretton Woods it felt I was about to fall off the whole way up.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    obienick said:

Why have T-Bars gone to rope vs. the telescoping bar?  When I rode solo the Telegraph T-Bar at Bretton Woods it felt I was about to fall off the whole way up.

Easier to groom the track. T's are above the groomer roof.
    I think they’re easier to ride and look so much nicer than the telescoping masts. Also, the lifts themselves require fewer towers.

IBRAKE
  • ceoceo intermediate
    Riding rope-type T-bars solo is easy; take the T from the attendant and put it between your legs, like a Poma. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but then you don't even have to hold on. 

(Well, that's if you're skiing. I've no idea how snowboarders are supposed to ride the things.)
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I heard from Robert Miron, the historian at Mont Gabriel - the T-bar was the fastest in Canada when installed - 4 m/s, which is about 790 feet/min. If there wasn't a liftline, you could make a lot of runs on that!
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Crossing trails n beating chairs. Great video Jeremy.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Glad you liked it! Robert also said the other parallel T-bar was taken down in 2007, due to a lack of parts.

I think they’re easier to ride and look so much nicer than the telescoping masts. Also, the lifts themselves require fewer towers.

IBRAKE

Well if the other T-bar was taking down in 2007 should be a video of it somewhere online I would figure I break for T-bar's should be able to find it for us