Another hazard for Skiers - Volcanoes

ski_itski_it expert
edited January 23 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,926
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/japanese-volcano-erupts-raining-rocks-onto-ski-slope-and-triggering-avalanche/2018/01/23/a5821800-0026-11e8-93f5-53a3a47824e8_story.html

1/23/2018—A volcanic eruption Tuesday sent rocks raining down on a Japanese ski slope and triggered an avalanche that killed a soldier and injured at least a dozen others. Washington Post
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    And a 7.9 earthquake off Alaska with a tsunami warning.  However, I guess the base of 250' above sea level will make Alyeska safe from the tsunami.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

In this country, Mammoth Mt, Baker Mt. and Crystal Mt. ski areas would be at risk from volcanoes. Baker, Mammoth and Mt. Rainier (next to Crystal) are sleepy but not dormant. I don't know about Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, it may be dormant. Bachelor and Mammoth have the ski trails actually on the volcano.

I recall there was a tragedy on Mammoth some years ago when a ski patroller fell into a fumarole and suffocated.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    For those of you (like me) who never heard the word before, a funerole is an opening in a planet's crust, often in areas surrounding volcanoes, which emits steam and gases such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen sulfide.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    edited January 23 Posts: 978

For those of you (like me) who never heard the word before, a funerole is an opening in a planet's crust, often in areas surrounding volcanoes, which emits steam and gases such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen sulfide.

fumarole  ;)
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    mapnut said:

In this country, Mammoth Mt, Baker Mt. and Crystal Mt. ski areas would be at risk from volcanoes. Baker, Mammoth and Mt. Rainier (next to Crystal) are sleepy but not dormant. I don't know about Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, it may be dormant. Bachelor and Mammoth have the ski trails actually on the volcano.

I recall there was a tragedy on Mammoth some years ago when a ski patroller fell into a fumarole and suffocated.

Mt Hood (Timberline; MH Meadows). On its slopes. Very stinky from the crater emissions if the wind is just right (wrong).
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    How could I forget Mt. Hood?
  • skirickskirick intermediate

The press is saying that although one person was rescued from avi debris, the person killed was hit by flying rocks.

• obienickobienick expert
    edited January 23 Posts: 1,034
    The Mammoth area is very much active. Mammoth itself is the 5th most recent eruption in CA (~1400 AD). Hot springs in the area that have gotten more active/warm in recent years. Active fumeroles depositing native sulfur crystals both on Mammoth and in the caldera. A geologic map of the area has an arrow pointing to a valley labeled "Fumerole Valley".  Recent Resurgent dome growth (2011-2014) in the Long Valley caldera and associated earthquakes.

Hot Creek in April 2013 (not 8 miles from Mammoth):

(thermometer showed ~90°C/~195°F surface water in the furthest pool with all the steam in the background)

(recently [4/2013] opened fumerole probably an inch wide -- you can see the tiny native sulfur crystals)