Another hazard for Skiers - Volcanoes

edited January 23 in NELSAP Forum
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/japanese-volcano-erupts-raining-rocks-onto-ski-slope-and-triggering-avalanche/2018/01/23/a5821800-0026-11e8-93f5-53a3a47824e8_story.html

1/23/2018—A volcanic eruption Tuesday sent rocks raining down on a Japanese ski slope and triggered an avalanche that killed a soldier and injured at least a dozen others. Washington Post
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• And a 7.9 earthquake off Alaska with a tsunami warning.  However, I guess the base of 250' above sea level will make Alyeska safe from the tsunami.
  • In this country, Mammoth Mt, Baker Mt. and Crystal Mt. ski areas would be at risk from volcanoes. Baker, Mammoth and Mt. Rainier (next to Crystal) are sleepy but not dormant. I don't know about Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, it may be dormant. Bachelor and Mammoth have the ski trails actually on the volcano.

I recall there was a tragedy on Mammoth some years ago when a ski patroller fell into a fumarole and suffocated.

• For those of you (like me) who never heard the word before, a funerole is an opening in a planet's crust, often in areas surrounding volcanoes, which emits steam and gases such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen sulfide.
  • edited January 23

For those of you (like me) who never heard the word before, a funerole is an opening in a planet's crust, often in areas surrounding volcanoes, which emits steam and gases such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen sulfide.

fumarole  ;)
  • mapnut said:

In this country, Mammoth Mt, Baker Mt. and Crystal Mt. ski areas would be at risk from volcanoes. Baker, Mammoth and Mt. Rainier (next to Crystal) are sleepy but not dormant. I don't know about Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, it may be dormant. Bachelor and Mammoth have the ski trails actually on the volcano.

I recall there was a tragedy on Mammoth some years ago when a ski patroller fell into a fumarole and suffocated.

Mt Hood (Timberline; MH Meadows). On its slopes. Very stinky from the crater emissions if the wind is just right (wrong).
  • How could I forget Mt. Hood?
  • The press is saying that although one person was rescued from avi debris, the person killed was hit by flying rocks.

• edited January 23
    The Mammoth area is very much active. Mammoth itself is the 5th most recent eruption in CA (~1400 AD). Hot springs in the area that have gotten more active/warm in recent years. Active fumeroles depositing native sulfur crystals both on Mammoth and in the caldera. A geologic map of the area has an arrow pointing to a valley labeled "Fumerole Valley".  Recent Resurgent dome growth (2011-2014) in the Long Valley caldera and associated earthquakes.

Hot Creek in April 2013 (not 8 miles from Mammoth):

(thermometer showed ~90°C/~195°F surface water in the furthest pool with all the steam in the background)

(recently [4/2013] opened fumerole probably an inch wide -- you can see the tiny native sulfur crystals)