Warren Miller passes away at 93

Comments

• Warren Miller - an institution: He really experienced the total history of the industry and is the Cecile B. DeMille, the Babe Ruth, the Michael Jordan, the Jack Nicholas of skiing.  Nothing irreverent meant, but: may he rest in a tuck on the slope of his choice.
  • edited January 25
    Yes it is. No one can be Warren.. I really do nto watch many of the new one's because they just lake that Warren touch.
  • mtsnow100 said:

Yes it is. No one can be Warren.. I really do nto watch many of the new one's because they just lake that Warren touch.

Agreed they aren't the same!  Moseley's "winter starts now" is anemic at best.  No question the most entertaining and enjoyable parts of the current movies are the vintage snippets and throwback pieces they stick in here and there.

One thing for sure, Warren lived a full and influential life!    The sport/pasttime/industry would be something other than it is if not for him.  

• I think most of us have many ski dvd's (or vhs tapes) but the ones I keep going back to are his. There's just nothing like it. Skiing is so much better because of him.

RIP Warren

• mtsnow100 said:

He was quite the legend. The new movies I agree were not his style. The new one this year was objectifying and advertisement after advertisement. 
  • A little Warren Miller for everyone!

RIP, Warren
  • I wish Warren Miller Entertainment would/could release more of his classic clips with his narration on Youtube. I forget which movie, but I always loved the people falling on the icy slope between the lodge and lift at Hunter.
  • edited January 25
    RIP.
    One of our kids gave us a roku thingy for Christmas to watch shows from internet on our tv.  it opened up a whole bunch of free ski flicks (actually roku costs ~$7 per month IIRC).  I was actually watching a WM flick from 1971 yesterday.
  • There was a great sequence about ski patrolling that I have to find set to "Long December" by Counting Crows that he did. RIP, for a skiing great. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Here is a story I heard on several occasions many years ago, about Warren Miller and Sugarloaf. I have no way of knowing whether it is true or not,
    Warren Miller, the story goes, approached Amos Winter, the no-nonsense manager(I think) and one of the founders of Sugarloaf. This may have been back in the 1960s.
    Ski areas wanted the publicity and, I suppose, Miller thought he might a free ticket. Mr. Winter was from Kingfield and, I guess, wasn't overly impressed by some guy making a movie.
    Mr. Miller said, "I'm Warren Miller and I'm making a ski movie. May I ski your mountain?"
    Mr.Winter answered, "you can, if you've got five dollahs."
    Miller, it is said, then put a picture of a chimpanzee on skis in his movie and said it was the Sugarloaf ski school director.
    As I said, I don't know whether it happened. I've never seen a chimp on skis in a Miller movie and I don't know how much Sugarloaf was charging for lift tickets back then. Have any of you heard this story and whether it's true? Miller had a pretty good sense of humor, so I guess it could have happened.
    Whatever, Warren Miller was a worthy successor to John Jay and his ski films. They both made some great movies.
  • Bill29 said:

As I said, I don't know whether it happened. I've never seen a chimp on skis in a Miller movie and I don't know how much Sugarloaf was charging for lift tickets back then. Have any of you heard this story and whether it's true? Miller had a pretty good sense of humor, so I guess it could have happened.

I first skied Sugarloaf in 1968 and it was $5 for a T-bars only ticket, $7.50 for the gondola.
  • jgreco said:

I wish Warren Miller Entertainment would/could release more of his classic clips with his narration on Youtube. I forget which movie, but I always loved the people falling on the icy slope between the lodge and lift at Hunter.

Is that the one with Larry the Labrador?
  • Stein, Warren... I'm gettin' old...

Have a vague memory of my aunt saying "Now, you don't want to be a ski bum like that Warren Miller."

If I could have only been that lucky.
    "I need a powder day"
  • Late 80s or early 90s, riding a parking lot shuttle up to the mountain at Sugarloaf, there was an "ambassador"  doing the schpiel that ended with a warning not to ski fast in "slow ski zones" or you'd have to watch a safety movie.  I said, "Yeah, and after that they make you watch a half hour of Warren Miller jokes!"  Got a good laugh.  Warren was that well known in the ski world.