The Ikon Pass replaces MAX Pass and others

jgrecojgreco intermediate
edited January 25 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 57
https://www.ikonpass.com

By State
California: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort
Maine: Sugarloaf, Sunday River
Montana: Big Sky Resort
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain Resort
Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird
Vermont: Stratton, Killington Resort
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Ontario, Canada: Blue Mountain
Quebec, Canada: Tremblant

Comments

• 4aprice4aprice advanced
    edited January 25 Posts: 127
    First shots fired.  Do the other Max Pass areas reunite under another banner?  

Interesting times ahead.  A little bummed about the loss of the BCC ski areas but Alta/Snowbird and DeerValley  and the Colorado choices are superb. Probably have a buyer right here. Killington, Stratton and Loon, not bad for NE.

Got to say, I love the fact that the Boyne areas are getting involved with this.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

How does Epic respond ?  

To put it in sport's terms there are a lot of "free agents" out there.  

The trio of Okemo, Mt Sunapee and Crested Butte just  hang there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    It looks like the Ikon Pass has less options than the MaxPass had and Stowe is the only eastern venue for the Epic Pass. Peak Pass gets one to Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Hunter, Mt. Snow, Crotched, Attitash/Wildcat.  Any others that give variety to those with wanderlust.  There was a "small area" add-on but I don't remember what it was called.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    And the Max pass had Gore, Whiteface, Belleayre, and I think Windham on it too. I don't see Pico on the new one either, nor Stratton. That's a loss for people in the Capital District here in NY.
    NELSAP said:

And the Max pass had Gore, Whiteface, Belleayre, and I think Windham on it too. I don't see Pico on the new one either, nor Stratton. That's a loss for people in the Capital District here in NY.

Pico is not included.  Killington has announced that it will only be part of their own pass product.  Stratton is on it for sure as they were part of the Intrawest -KSL/Aspen deal.

What move the NY areas make along with Triple Peaks (Okemo, Sunapee and Crested Butte) and other's formerly on Max remains to be seen and will be very interesting.  There are lots of "free agents" out there to form something new and compete with Ikon and Epic.

I think you will see several "tiers" or "levels of passes similar to the way Epic works.  You might have a Colorado Pass (excluding the 4 Aspen Mts) and I could see an eastern pass as well.  There will also hopefully be a pass good at all of them too at a higher price.  

They have also announced that that Mountain Collective will still exist which will be another option.  Interesting times ahead.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Some more thoughts on this.

From what I understand Mountain Collective was the brain child of Aspen and Max was the brain child of Powdr/Boyne.  They will have all the data into what was working and what was not working with those products.  Going to be very interesting to see what they come up with. 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    4aprice said:

Some more thoughts on this.

From what I understand Mountain Collective was the brain child of Aspen and Max was the brain child of Powdr/Boyne.  They will have all the data into what was working and what was not working with those products.  Going to be very interesting to see what they come up with. 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Intrawest started MAX as the successor to the Intrawest Passport.
    Bang.   Epic responds - Telluride.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    At Sunapee yesterday I mentioned to the ticket person that I was glad to be there while they were still on the Max Pass.  She said well it's going to become the Ikon pass, and I said, but Sunapee isn't on it.  She said "they're still working on it."  

Friday at Sugarloaf they were saying "it's not all settled yet"

Begs the question, why aren't Boyne & Boyne Highlands listed?

Of course this could be all just rumors, but perhaps more will be part of it when the dust settles.  

At Sunapee yesterday I mentioned to the ticket person that I was glad to be there while they were still on the Max Pass.  She said well it's going to become the Ikon pass, and I said, but Sunapee isn't on it.  She said "they're still working on it."  

Friday at Sugarloaf they were saying "it's not all settled yet"

Begs the question, why aren't Boyne & Boyne Highlands listed?

Of course this could be all just rumors, but perhaps more will be part of it when the dust settles.  
    That would be awesome if Triple Peaks joined.  

Boyne has several properties not tied in to this.  Brighton and Bachelor top the list. 

Makes you wonder if we have not seen the last shots fired from either side.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    I have to say, the more I use this max thing the more I like it.   Deciding factor for me is the NY areas.

One other thing the ticket lady at Sugarloaf said that I thought was interesting.  First she said "It's too bad they're doing away with the max pass, after it's finally successful."  I asked what she meant by finally, and she said "well this year it really took off, before it wasn't very popular.  now it seems like we do more max pass tickets than regular tickets."  I said, "really?"  she replied "oh yes, some days it's one right after the other, everybody has the max pass"

So I don't know if she's right or wrong or what, but she definitely had those impressions

edited February 1 Posts: 127

I have to say, the more I use this max thing the more I like it.   Deciding factor for me is the NY areas.

One other thing the ticket lady at Sugarloaf said that I thought was interesting.  First she said "It's too bad they're doing away with the max pass, after it's finally successful."  I asked what she meant by finally, and she said "well this year it really took off, before it wasn't very popular.  now it seems like we do more max pass tickets than regular tickets."  I said, "really?"  she replied "oh yes, some days it's one right after the other, everybody has the max pass"

So I don't know if she's right or wrong or what, but she definitely had those impressions
    Which makes you think that the formula is successful for both ski area and consumer.  I would think that some (Triple Peaks and NY State areas for example) may form another alliance if they could not jump on board the Ikon or Epic band wagons. One has to think Epic may be in the market for another partner or 2 here on the east coast to keep pace.  I would keep my eye on Windham as they could be attractive to one of these companies eyeing the NY market.   Even some of the smaller areas have gotten on board with their own version (Freedom Pass).  An area staying truly independent could be at a huge disadvantage.  Variety is the spice of life. 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ